Where Am I Going From Here?

Went to group therapy Tuesday, and attended my first Toastmasters meeting earlier that day. Toastmasters was very structured, probably too structured for my tastes, though worked well in that they covered a lot of ground in one hour. Mentioned in group that I completed my continuing education units to renew my Marriage and Family Therapist license on an active basis, and got positive feedback. I was afraid that my psychiatrist would disapprove. Not sure why. Guess I don’t yet feel competent enough, well enough; though that fear may be unfounded. I do, of course, have some catching up to do in terms of professional development having been out of the loop for a couple of decades. This is the first time since I was thirty that I have seriously considered and took steps toward re-entering the mental health field as a licensed professional.

Where am I going from here? Well, for one thing, whether or not I attend Toastmasters again, I consider myself an orator to be, an orator at heart. I’m sure Toastmasters would be helpful, but I do not feel comfortable with the format. Time tested, yes, but, well, I don’t know, maybe it’s just that part of me that doesn’t like dancing choreographed steps. I chafe at structure. I know, or so I’ve been told, that structure is helpful, necessary even, for those with bipolar disorder. But, I prefer to live my life with fewer constraints.

15 thoughts on “Where Am I Going From Here?

1. SalvaVenia May 14, 2014 / 5:33 am

“Where” – should not be the question. Avoiding standstill is. 🙂

• Kitt O'Malley May 14, 2014 / 8:58 am

Unless, of course, it is time to sit and be mindful. Without standing still, we deplete ourselves, scurry like caged rats on a wheel going nowhere, and make progress difficult. I must now set aside time to prayerfully meditate.

• SalvaVenia May 14, 2014 / 9:11 am

Agreed upon. But that kind of standstill was not the one I intended to hint at, anyway. That very kind is of the sort which represents a central part of moving. 🙂

• Kitt O'Malley May 14, 2014 / 9:58 am

True. Are you a practioner of Zen meditation? Your wisdom hints at it.

• SalvaVenia May 14, 2014 / 10:05 am

No. My present interests lie with sufi thought and Rudolf Steiner.

• Kitt O'Malley May 14, 2014 / 10:23 am

Cool! I briefly flirted wth Sufism (2 weeks, very briefly). I’ll have to look into Rudolf Steiner. Mystics, though, I very much identify with.

• SalvaVenia May 14, 2014 / 2:54 pm

Of course, mysticism exists since times immemorial everywhere; Sufism presenting its most sublime refinement.

• Kitt O'Malley May 14, 2014 / 10:25 am

Okay, just looked up Steiner. I like the way he thought. I agree.

• SalvaVenia May 14, 2014 / 3:03 pm

Steiner possessed a special kind of clairvoyance, which enabled certain deep insights into a wide range of human concerns. Besides he was a most prolific scientist; in my opinion the last universal scholar or polymath until now.

2. Susan Irene Fox May 1, 2014 / 1:39 pm

Kitt, I need order, too, but I’ve found I have to trust the Spirit to guide me. If the Toastmaster group isn’t “it” for you, pray about where your gifts will be best utilized. You’ll find the outlet that’s perfect for you, and that serves others.

• Kitt O'Malley May 1, 2014 / 3:35 pm

Thank you, Susan. The writers groups that I attend provide me with focus and an identity outside the home.

3. dyane May 1, 2014 / 11:58 am

Good for you for going to Toastmasters and trying something new. I love how your passion for being an orator really shines through your blog. I’m glad you got positive feedback from others in your group regarding the CEU’s. I hope your psychiatrist approves of your decision, but even if that isn’t the case, your insights & the general sense of “grounded-ness” I perceive from your blog posts/comments indicate that you would be more-than-competent in putting out a shingle. I know that is not necessarily what you want to do now.

I am finding that structure is tantamount for my optimum mental health, but I think I would need it whether or not I have the diagnosis.

Wishing you a wonderful day and that you don’t experience too much of a heat wave!