Crap, I Bent a Bike

Trees at Mammoth

Trying to help unload our gear and bags from the car, I moved our minivan closer to our room. Unfortunately, when backing up the minivan, though I did not hear, see, or feel it, my son witnessed me backing up into a concrete piling and in so doing bending at least one of my husband’s bike frames.

Crap. Crap. Crap.

I have a bad history backing up that minivan. Two undeserving, unsuspecting cars have felt the heavy touch of my Toyota Sienna with me at the wheel obliviously backing up out of a parking space. Doesn’t take much for a huge old minivan with poor rear window visibility (especially when loaded with a rack of bikes) and a driver with even poorer depth perception to do significant damage.

Shit. Shit. Shit.

The view from our room is beautiful, though.

14 thoughts on “Crap, I Bent a Bike

1. glenn2point0 July 14, 2014 / 5:19 pm

Arrgh.

• Kitt O'Malley July 15, 2014 / 9:58 am

Yep. Well, I rode the bent bike yesterday and since I have poor balance to begin with, made worse with increased divalproex sodium, I honestly couldn’t tell the difference. I am the family’s klutz anyways. Plus, I am keeping to the easiest trail, for now at least. You won’t see me up at the summit racing down advanced or pro or even intermediate runs. So sir. Not I.

2. philsblog01 July 14, 2014 / 2:58 am

Kitt, maybe you should get one of those cars that has a camera out of the rear view mirror, and warns you if you are getting close.

• Kitt O'Malley July 14, 2014 / 10:20 am

Getting a new car is a pricey option, but they do sell back up cameras, which would be a great idea.

3. Zephyr July 13, 2014 / 6:15 pm

nice view…. :)))))) hope you are having a great time.

• Kitt O'Malley July 13, 2014 / 7:35 pm

Thank you. I’m sure we will. We start riding the bikes tomorrow. I’m stuck with the one with the bent frame. Since I do not ride well anyway, it may not make much of a difference.

4. Aul July 13, 2014 / 5:06 pm

It is indeed a wonderful view!

5. Somnolent Potato July 13, 2014 / 5:01 pm

I love how your last sentence kind of makes up for the little accident. 😀 I hope your husband wouldn’t mind it that much.

• Kitt O'Malley July 13, 2014 / 6:04 pm

He has forgiven me. Luckily it was his less favored bike, the one that I’ll be borrowing this week. With my poor balance, I honestly can’t tell the difference. My son and husband are advanced riders. I’m grateful if I’m able to just stay upright.

6. dyane July 13, 2014 / 4:56 pm

;(((((((((( loved the closing sentence though!

• dyane July 13, 2014 / 6:25 pm

I would have written more, but I was on the elliptical sweating up a storm, with Marilla in the background speaking one continuous sentence about a mythical karate camp for 1/2 an hour!

I am SO glad you are safe, but I am very, very sorry that happened at the beginning of your trip. Please try to be gentle with yourself. I could honestly see myself doing the same exact thing, Kitt! ((hugs)) The trip must get better from this point on!

• Kitt O'Malley July 13, 2014 / 7:39 pm

Yes, it has improved, even though our sushi dinner up here wasn’t as good as our local guy in Mission Viejo. I’m sure purists from Japan would turn up their noses at what we consider great sushi. For dessert, one of your favs: Ben & Jerry’s Phish Food. Yum. Now I HAVE to ride tomorrow to work off the calories. I’m not nearly as disciplined at exercising as you are. Must get out and move more. Or, stay in and move more. Either way, I must move more.