Shout Out to MHA

Yellow Hibiscus
Thanks MHA of OC

Forgot to mention and thank Mental Health Association of Orange County (MHAOC) the organization partnering with and hosting NAMI’s Peer-to-Peer course. Value and Philosophy of MHAOC

The Mental Health Association of Orange County provides all of its services within the context of a psychosocial rehabilitation philosophy. Our philosophy holds as its primary goal the elimination of functional deficits, interpersonal barriers, and environmental barriers created by mental illness, in an effort to restore the ability for independent living, socialization and effective life management. By addressing the practical and realistic elements of the consumer’s needs such as coping and life skills, socialization and relationship formation, housing, transportation, education and employment, a supportive environment is created which encourages the consumer to make positive choices and experience growth.

MHAOC Programs

• Back to Work
  • Clubhouse Program
  • Hearing Advocacy
  • Homeless Drop-in Center
  • Homeless Outreach
  • Housing Program
  • MHA – Project Together Mentor Program
  • Outpatient Recovery Center
  • Representative Payee Program
  • Resource and Referral
  • SSI Benefits Assistance Program

16 thoughts on “Shout Out to MHA

1. Tertia August 3, 2014 / 6:40 pm

Hi Kitt, just wanted to drop you a hello and thank you for all the lovely comments and feedback you’ve been giving me on Not This Song lately. The work you are doing with NAMI sounds wonderful and I hope you continue to enjoy it; it is definitely something I want to learn more about when my family circumstances allow. Take care!

2. glenn2point0 August 3, 2014 / 4:46 pm

Hey Kitt, sounds like a great organization with all the bases covered.

3. Kimberly M (@momgosomething) August 3, 2014 / 6:49 am

That is in your area?
    Gah.
    We have such limited resources here. When I was applying for aide when I couldn’t work, I had to jump through more hoops than you can imagine. It was so stressful that I just gave up. No one understood what I was going through. All they cared about was dollar and cents. If only I had this available to help round in support that I needed. This system needs a serious overhaul.

4. Johnny Ojanpera August 2, 2014 / 9:07 pm

I can’t imagine having resources like that where I live. There isn’t even an inpatient hospital within 3 hours of me. I should move. 🙂

• Kitt O'Malley August 2, 2014 / 10:32 pm

It’s a shame that we do not have better mental health resources more widely available. We lived in the Mojave Desert for a couple of years and quality resources were definitely lacking.

5. WiL August 2, 2014 / 8:48 pm

This is motivating me to look into what NAMI offers in my area. Thanks!

6. dyane August 2, 2014 / 12:03 pm

OMG I meant Kitt! Not awake today!!!

7. Marie August 2, 2014 / 8:04 am

That is great that you have both MHA and NAMI in your city! The last place I lived in had both and they were both amazing in our community. I am not sure how much they worked together, but they both did amazing things and contributed so much. My current community only has NAMI and DBSA, but I wish MHA was involved as I know MHA offers so many services that are often not provided (very well anyway) by the cities

• Kitt O'Malley August 2, 2014 / 7:13 pm

I am learning so much so late in my mental health consumer life. I’ve always used insurance and saw professionals individually. This is a whole new world for me.

8. dyane August 2, 2014 / 7:33 am

SO AWESME, Kit. I wish we had a MHOSCC organization up here. I believe that our NAMI Peer-to-Peer program goes it alone. Good for you for acknowledging such a wonderful partnering group!

9. mihrank August 1, 2014 / 9:59 pm

wow – this is valuable and informative~