Why Being a Hermit Doesn’t Work

Research shows that support groups improve outcomes. Great article summarizing the research. Thanks, WiL (Writing into the Light)

Write into the Light

We all have problems. Let’s face it: humans are problems. We create problems, we live problems, we solve problems, we prolong problems, we complain about problems, we hate problems, some of us love problems, we…well, you get the idea.

Whether your problems come from within such as in the case of an illness, or from something outside of you, such as your demanding boss, research shows that we are more likely to better copewith our problems with some kind of support from peers who have been in the same situation as we face.

support

Bycoping better I mean we may live happier lives, have less stress, increased psychological well-being, and decreased negative symptoms.

Now, while you might not join a support groupto deal with an a-hole of a boss, you may want to consider one if you deal with chronic mental or physical illnesses, bereavement issues, weight loss or addiction issues…

View original post 411 more words

8 thoughts on “Why Being a Hermit Doesn’t Work

1. heila2013 August 3, 2014 / 2:01 pm

So true. I don’t know how I would have coped when my son was in real bad shape without the help of support groups. They saved me.
    Heila

• Kitt O'Malley August 3, 2014 / 5:33 pm

I am so glad that support groups helped you when you needed the help and support.

2. jaklumen August 2, 2014 / 2:16 pm

sigh Support groups can really have their downsides, sometimes– I’ve been in a lot, and some of them did– but I will stick it out.

• Kitt O'Malley August 2, 2014 / 7:15 pm

The good thing about this group is that it is scripted, so we are not without structure or direction.

3. stockdalewolfe August 2, 2014 / 6:55 am

Am printing this out for my social worker husband to use with his isolating clients.

4. WiL August 1, 2014 / 5:00 pm