Denial Fails Me Now, or F*ck Cancer!!!

National Cancer Institute at the National Institutes of Health
GENETIC  TESTING FOR HEREDITARY CANCER

In group yesterday afternoon, my psychiatrist recommended genetic testing for hereditary cancer syndromes (of which there are 50). He advocated doing so to guide future medical care, rather than living in denial or in fear. I am not at risk, but my son and husband may be. They are private, as is my large extended family. My husband is one of eight children. Three of his four brothers either currently have or have had cancer. Those are not good odds. One brother recently went from stage 2B to stage 4 quite rapidly.

Please pray for my brother-in-laws, especially the one facing stage 4. Please pray for my husband, my son, and for all my in-laws and loved ones touched by cancer. Whether or not you are the praying sort, please join me in telling cancer exactly how we feel about what it does to those we love: F*CK YOU, CANCER!!!

For more information about Genetic Testing for Hereditary Cancer Syndromes from the National Cancer Institute at the National Institutes of Health visit:

18 thoughts on “Denial Fails Me Now, or F*ck Cancer!!!

1. Dani August 30, 2014 / 6:33 pm

Will be praying for your brothers-in-law and the rest of those that suffer from this horrible disease, Kitt.

❤ Dani

2. Zephyr August 29, 2014 / 7:22 am

I will definitely pray for you and your family every time I pray. May you be protected and those who have, heal for this awful disease. You have all my support. Stay strong !

• Kitt O'Malley August 29, 2014 / 12:29 pm

Thank you, Zephyr. Congratulations on the 8th anniversary of your engagement to your husband. May you enjoy many more years of mutual love, respect, and support.

3. writerwannabe763 August 28, 2014 / 8:37 am

I recently went through the same feelings about cancer… There were 10 of us (only 3 now) but 5 died of cancer… and in our church prayer list there are so many with cancer …. it just made me so angry…. I will say a prayer for your family….. Diane

• Kitt O'Malley August 28, 2014 / 12:06 pm

Thank you so much, Diane. I am so sorry for your losses. I will include you and your family in my prayers.

4. stockdalewolfe August 27, 2014 / 5:28 pm

Stepping up the prayers, especially for the brother-in-law!! and your husband! What a f**** thing the big C is! I lost my best friend, my bro and both my parents to it. But it is possible to beat. That is where the prayers will come in, Kitt. Hugs, dear Kitt, hugs!

• Kitt O'Malley August 27, 2014 / 6:45 pm

Indeed it is possible to beat. My mother has lived with non-Hodgkins lymphoma for over 30 years. She has come back from stage 4 twice. She is alive thanks to monoclonal antibody therapy, Rituxan. She was part of the original clinical trials. She now lives with a tumor in her thigh and has most recently undergone radiation therapy since the cancerous growth did not respond to Rituxan. My two other brother-in-laws are currently cancer free.

5. Aul August 27, 2014 / 5:04 pm

I’ll pray too! However, please don’t use that word, especially if you’re trying to implore God’s help.
    God bless,
    Aul

6. Susan Irene Fox August 27, 2014 / 4:55 pm

Kitt, you and your fellow family members will be now on my weekly prayer list. I’ve been through it and survived. WE ARE CONQUERORS! Bless you all.

• Kitt O'Malley August 27, 2014 / 6:37 pm

Yes, we are conquerors. Thank you for including us in your prayers. I will keep you in mine.

7. philsblog01 August 27, 2014 / 3:49 pm

sometimes you can know too much. I am not sure I would want to know this but each person must decide for themselves. I wish the best for your son and husband.

• Kitt O'Malley August 27, 2014 / 6:36 pm

Yes. Some people do not want to know. I believe it depends on whether there is anything you can do. Early detection of cancer makes a huge difference in prognosis.

8. dyane August 27, 2014 / 2:44 pm

I will definitely hold your entire family in prayer, Kitt! And of course you can count on me, your potty mouth friend, to tell cancer to f*ck off and to kiss my butt!

xoxo special prayers will go out to your brother-in-law facing stage 4