NAMI Target Exercise

Blank Target: MUST, MIGHT, CAN, WANT
© NAMI Peer-to-Peer

Target Exercise: Relapse Prevention Planning

© NAMI Peer-to-Peer Recovery Education Course Week Seven Class Handouts (Rev. 2006) included the Target Exercise shown above, the text of which I’ve summarized below.

• In the bull’s-eye, we put what we MUST do, or MUST not do, to live well with mental illness.
    • I MUST take my medicine, sleep, and not overdo it.
  • In the next ring, we include what we MIGHT do to improve our health. These we suspect prevent or trigger relapses, and we may move these items into thebull’s-eyeasMUSTS.
    • I MIGHT walk, exercise, and eat healthier.
  • The third ring represents what we CAN do. These we can do without risk to our health and that we can do to improve our life now. These include things we are already doing to stay well.
    • I CAN (and do) read, write, blog, take part in groups, and meditate.
  • Outside the target, we put what we WANT to do ~ dreams, goals, and desires for the future.
    • My WANTS include volunteer for NAMI, take classes to further my training as a California licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (perhaps Dialectical Behavioral Therapy training), become an expert public speaker, and travel internationally. Here I got ambitious, and it felt good to once again be ambitious, for I’ve felt hobbled by bipolar disorder for far too long.

© NAMI Peer-to-Peer Recovery Education Course Week Seven Class Handouts, Rev. 2006

12 thoughts on “NAMI Target Exercise

1. Safe.Amanda September 8, 2014 / 12:30 pm

This is a great exercise! Thank you for sharing what you are learning!

2. vakunzmann September 8, 2014 / 12:15 pm

Thank you for sharing. I have also filled out a similar document. It does help. It has been 2 years and 6 months since my last release from a hospital (mental health) and it is because of tools such as the one you demonstrate that I am still here, surviving. Thank you again. Peace, ~victoria

• Kitt O'Malley September 8, 2014 / 12:40 pm

Thank you for sharing how it has helped you. Now that I’ve done the exercise, I can “see” what I need to do, what I am doing, what I may do, and I can dream and be hopeful for my future. That hope has been absent for so long.

• Kitt O'Malley September 8, 2014 / 12:41 pm

Congratulations on your recovery from your hospitalization. Well done.

3. Pieces of Bipolar September 8, 2014 / 11:53 am

This is brilliant, Kitt. Thanks so much for sharing it. I’m going to make my own target chart. It will help to keep some structure 🙂

• Kitt O'Malley September 8, 2014 / 12:39 pm

Thank NAMI, it is their creation. I simply shared it with you. Hope it is helpful. It helped me to be more hopeful, to dream and make goals for the future, which is huge.