Why Do I Write? Kitt O’Malley

Why Do I Write? Kitt O’Malley.
First published September 8, 2014 on STIGMAMA.com *

I write for I am more than a mother and a wife. I am a writer. I write for I must. I write to keep my brain from atrophying. I write to capture those speeding thoughts. I write to pull myself out of soul-sucking lethargy. I write to give voice to my experience. I write to fight stigma against those who live with mental illness. I write to acknowledge that my life has meaning. I write for it is a calling, for I have a purpose, a cause, a message to share. I write for validation of my message, that is has been received, that it has made a positive difference in someone’s life. I write because I can.

* http://stigmama.com/2014/09/08/why-do-i-write-kitt-omalley/

16 thoughts on “Why Do I Write? Kitt O’Malley

1. Just Plain Ol' Vic September 8, 2014 / 6:21 pm

You write for all the “write” reasons!! 🙂

I am inspired, in part by your honest writing, to tell the truth myself – even if it is painful!

2. princess marksalot September 8, 2014 / 2:45 pm

don’t stop. your actions have purpose!

3. stockdalewolfe September 8, 2014 / 2:15 pm

And I am glad you write. Your posts are interesting, informative and well written. I think writing is cathartic. This is a great example of your well written pieces.

• Kitt O'Malley September 8, 2014 / 3:44 pm

Thank you. Yes, writing is cathartic. As to catharsis: my full first name is Kitt, but Kitt is a derivation of Katherine, which means purification through emotional catharsis. My name fits me well.

4. dyane September 8, 2014 / 1:40 pm

I’m so glad that you write or else I’d never have found such a lovely kindred spirit!!! I’d also miss all your insightful observations and beautiful, clear writing style

• Kitt O'Malley September 8, 2014 / 1:59 pm

I feel the same about you, Dyane, and do look forward to the day we meet in person. I know it will happen.

• dyane September 8, 2014 / 4:24 pm

It will, and if we meet up at a sushi bar, they better clear out the joint for us! 😉