Time to Build a Book?

Showing my Gray
Showing my gray

Brief recap of the past week in reverse chronological order, just like this blog. Note that the second bullet point is where I discuss whether it is time to build a book:

• This morning I got my haircut and decided to flip my part and show my bit of gray. I’ve earned that gray these past 51 years, so I’m wearing it proudly and looking forward to developing an even more impressive and dramatic shock of gray. For now, this bit will have to do. Hopefully, although I do not feel terribly wise, I’m at least starting to look wise.
  • Time to Build a Book? Okay, so by writing this list in reverse chronological order, I buried the lead, and started off with something less “meaningful” (or perhaps the photo highlights the vanity of these bullet points). So what. Yesterday I started to copy my blog content into Scrivener, “a powerful content-generation tool for writers that allows you to concentrate on composing and structuring long and difficult documents” (Literature and Latte). I had hoped I could simply export my WordPress blog into an xml document and then import it into Scrivener. Unfortunately, since I use Windows rather than the Mac OS, the best work-around I could find (Scriv2DocBook) involved more advanced coding skills than I care to learn right now. Besides, perhaps the process of copying and pasting my posts and pages, including those never published, might inspire me or at least jog my memory.
  • Saturday was the one year anniversary of my blogging adventure. Thank you readers for your support.
  • Coincidentally, on the anniversary of my mental health blogging journey, I walked in the 10th annual Orange County NAMI Walks. My sponsors helped me raise $760 for NAMI Orange County. Thank you sponsors!
  • Last Wednesday, just before I attended my last NAMI Peer-to-Peer class, I applied to volunteer for NAMI Orange County. I probably should give their volunteer coordinator a call this week and follow up on my emailed application. Who knows where volunteering for NAMI will lead (assuming they will take me, of course).

33 thoughts on “Time to Build a Book?

1. Zephyr October 2, 2014 / 6:55 am

Congratulations on achieving so much. You look stunning and the grays look really elegant. COngrats on the anniversary. You are doing a great job. Real proud of you !

2. Susan Irene Fox October 1, 2014 / 10:58 am

Kitt, congratulations on the gray and the book!
    A) I decided to forgo the color when I underwent chemotherapy for breast cancer in 2008. I invited friends over to shave my head (since I knew I would lose my hair anyway). We had pizza, beer and a party to mark the occasion. As my hair grew back I just never colored it again. Luckily, mine is silver-white thanks to genetics.
    B) I’ve heard of Scrivener; I’ll be curious to hear how it goes for you. Thinking about using it, too for a novel. I have the barest outline, so it might be worth the investment before I begin in Word.
    You and Dyane are two people I trust and follow re:bp. You’ve given me hope, great information and an honesty that has made a world of difference to me.
    Thank you.

• dyane October 1, 2014 / 4:11 pm

Wow – thank you Susan for a lovely compliment that has made my day!
      In my Friday (10/5) post I’ll mention how to incorporate the art of “micromovements” into one’s life; the term was coined by one of my favorite authors/artists SARK. Micromovements can be used by anyone, not just folks with bp, but they are particularly useful for people when they’re depressed. I think you’ll like it!

3. LauraALord September 30, 2014 / 2:16 pm

Reblogged this on Laura A. Lord and commented:
    Did you know I moved my fiction? Come check out Ashlyn Kingsley and part one of Feral.

• Kitt O'Malley October 1, 2014 / 1:37 pm

Thank you so much, Laura, for reblogging this post. I will have to check out your new fiction site.

• LauraALord October 1, 2014 / 2:44 pm

Eek, I don’t know why this happened, but I didn’t reblog it? I’m so sorry. That’s awkward.

• Kitt O'Malley October 1, 2014 / 4:03 pm

Don’t worry about it. You must have accidentally clicked the button, or it was a WordPress glitch. Frankly, it was something odd to repost.

• LauraALord October 1, 2014 / 5:03 pm

😀 It wouldn’t be the first time I’ve clicked the wrong button. There’s a reason no one puts me in charge.

4. Tempest Rose September 30, 2014 / 1:53 pm

I ❤ gray hair. I've actually tried to dye my hair gray.

5. Dani September 30, 2014 / 1:38 pm

Kitt, I love the streak, the anniversary and the path your walking toward bookdom. I can only hope that you will continue to grow more comfortable in your own skin and that we, your readers, will do the same in ours.

With heart,
    Dani

P.S. Keep us updated on the volunteer opportunity. What a blessing to give back 🙂

• Kitt O'Malley September 30, 2014 / 1:44 pm

Thank you, Dani! I will keep you up to date, of course.

6. Laura Droege September 30, 2014 / 1:33 pm

Hey, if you’re serious about writing (and publishing and marketing!) a book, I’ll make a recommendation of a blog you should follow. Chip MacGregor is a long time literary agent and highly respected; I’ve met him, and I’ve read his blog for years. He has loads of great content, including some from another literary agent at his agency (Amanda Luedeke), on his blog. http://www.chipmacgregor.com/ He also has a sense of humor, which helps in this profession.

Great haircut! I’ve got some grays in my hair. The last time I had a professional photo made, I was shocked to see this looooong streak of gray, but as one of my FB friends noted, some folks pay big bucks to have streaks of color put in their hair. I got off cheap. 🙂

• dyane September 30, 2014 / 4:27 pm

OMG Laura & Kitt – I just looked at his site and I swear, he looks like a really handsome Lyle Lovett!!! Sorry to be so superficial, but when I made the connection in my brain, it was fun! Do you concur?

• Kitt O'Malley September 30, 2014 / 5:53 pm

Yes, I agree. He’s quite handsome. I really like that he uses a Celtic symbol in his logo.

7. wendy September 30, 2014 / 1:32 pm

I too am 51 and proud to wear my gray. You can’t see it very well in this photo, but I have a profound gray streak now. I’ve had one for a long time but now, it’s much more. I used to color my hair to make it more of a pop of color and leave that streak out. when I was younger, I used to color the streak different colors. it’s been fun. as you say, I deserve it. And I do so think older people with really dark hair look funny.

The book sounds cool. I may look into that, but as you, I use windows, and my blog is older and wow, that would be a lot of copy and pasting and…oh heck it needs to be edited anyway, right? Wonder if anyone would care that much?

You are making such strides, it is so nice to see you grow!

• Kitt O'Malley September 30, 2014 / 1:42 pm

Honestly, I think the book has been done to death. You know, the memoire of a bipolar woman… but I’m still going to put the material together to see what I’ve got. Yes, it will need major editing.

• dyane September 30, 2014 / 3:43 pm

I agree there are way too many memoirs written by women w/bp (which daunts me as you know!) but most of them, frankly, turn me off. I own quite a few, and I’ve sampled many as well and I’ve noticed that they focus too much on the darkness, and not enough on the recovery path & the light.

I think despite the glut of these books, there is still a demand for a high-quality bp memoir in today’s market. I believe that you & I will write the very type of books that we would enjoy reading…books that can educate and inspire us.

• Kitt O'Malley September 30, 2014 / 5:52 pm

Okay, Dyane, thanks for the support. In the meantime, it’s a project around which I can organize my thoughts and my time.

8. dyane September 30, 2014 / 1:10 pm

I just had a teaspoon of my new chocolate orange fudge sauce in your honor! Who cares if it’s almost 200 calories.

I LOVE the photo of you hair!!!Have you seen Stacy, the co-host of “What Not To Wear”? She has a stunning gray streak in her long, dark hair that she has had since she was very young. ANYWAY, what’s most exciting is this new book project of yours! I never heard about Scrivener before now, but it sounds like a useful tool. Please keep us updated on your work.

You are now officially accountable to The World, 😉 seriously – that fact will motivate you to see it through….

p.s. By following through with the NAMI volunteer opportunity, I know your experience will provide the basis for more awesome posts, as well as inspire others to volunteer as well. Just make sure not to overextend yourself (you know that almost anything I suggest to you applies to yours truly as well) because volunteering and writing can both become full-time jobs unto themselves! XO

• Kitt O'Malley September 30, 2014 / 1:33 pm

Without a doubt. I may have to cut back on reading so much content. I like the Bipolar Blogging Network, for I can use it to focus on a few bloggers (plus a few more). I haven’t had time to read from the WordPress Reader, for I follow too many blogs. Facebook is pretty overwhelming, too. Twitter I focus on Notifications to filter out the noise. I ignore my other social media presences.

• dyane September 30, 2014 / 1:47 pm

Sounds like a good plan. For the most part I stick with the WordPress Reader while working out or if I have time to kill (that’s a morbid phase, what about something more Richard Simmonsy like time to revive?)and I really like to scan your tweets for cool stuff. Facebook is a dangerous temptation so I try to use it as a reward (I put away clean clothes and then I get to surf FB, etc.)

9. philsblog01 September 30, 2014 / 1:01 pm

Congrats Kitt, nice cut! Let me know your progress on your book, I want to put together an e-book of my works also.

• Kitt O'Malley September 30, 2014 / 1:30 pm

I’ve heard great things from writers about Scrivener, which I just started using yesterday (it’s $40). I think you may like it. You can bring your digital art, photographs, and poems into the program and organize them.

• philsblog01 September 30, 2014 / 1:44 pm

ok thanks, never heard of it, I will check it out! Scrivener, here we come! will it format for a kindle or ebook?

• Kitt O'Malley September 30, 2014 / 11:01 pm

I do not know yet about formatting. I’m far from that point.

10. mrsbip0lar September 30, 2014 / 12:57 pm

Congratulations on your milestone! Keep up the great work!