This Upcoming Week

SICK

Under the weather with a bug that has me achy, fatigued, nauseated, and dizzy. Hope that my physical health improves soon, for I have a big week ahead of me.

SKYPE CALL WEDNESDAY

Annual Emerging Considerations in Maternal Mental Health Forum

Wednesday I have a Skype call scheduled with my friends and colleagues, Dyane Harwood of Birth of a New Brain and Walker Karraa, PhD of Stigmama.com. In February we will be representing Stigmama.com at the Annual Emerging Considerations in Maternal Mental Health Forum. I look forward to seeing my friends’ faces via Skype on Wednesday and in person in February.

MHA VOLUNTEER INTERVIEW THURSDAY

Thursday I am being interviewed by MHA of Orange County to volunteer as a Hearing Advocate:

HEARING ADVOCACY – Advocates fill a legally state mandated role to ensure that involuntarily detained persons in a psychiatric hospital have the opportunity to express their views regarding hospitalization, advocates support them through the process.  Advocates review patient’s charts, interview patients, and attend probable cause hearings with the patient.  Knowledge of mental illness is preferred.  2-4 hours per week, a 6 month commitment is needed.  Training is provided.

~http://www.mhaoc.org/spv-5.aspx

Since I am a mental health consumer and in my young adulthood worked as both a mental health provider and a legal assistant, this volunteer position may be a good fit. If the interview goes well, I will be shadowing a hearing advocate for a while to learn the ropes.

WRITING

As I ask myself what purpose guides me as I pull content from my blog into Scrivener, I’m not so sure that I want to take on writing a book. Perhaps it is to create something else, not a memoir or rehashed blog, but an organized and cohesive call to action for mental health. This call to action need not be a book, perhaps blogging better suits me. Scrivener enables me to quickly and easily organize my blog writing, and possibly rewrite and repurpose old posts that still have merit.

29 thoughts on “This Upcoming Week

• Kitt O'Malley October 10, 2014 / 4:05 pm

Thank you. I’m shadowing and then volunteering on Fridays. Have to remind myself not to extend myself beyond that. LOVED IT! Had a great time today and will blog about it soon.

• Kitt O'Malley October 8, 2014 / 4:32 pm

Thank you, again! Would you be interested in writing a piece for Stigmama.com as an experienced mother (and grandmother) who has done so successfully even when living with depression?

• writerwannabe763 October 8, 2014 / 6:07 pm

I really haven’t done guest posting …is there some guideline you would want to give … ? and where do I post to etc.. etc. I wouldn’t mind writing something of what I went through and felt etc… Let me know .. Diane

1. Dani October 6, 2014 / 8:40 am

A big week. Feel better soon.

With blessings,
    Dani

• Kitt O'Malley October 6, 2014 / 12:49 pm

Thank you. My husband stayed home from work today so I could sleep and get better.

• Dani October 6, 2014 / 12:52 pm

Precious little sacrifices.

Health & blessings,
        Dani

2. stockdalewolfe October 5, 2014 / 5:35 pm

Hi Kitt, Hope you feel better real soon. Husband and I battling that bug for weeks but we are older and have faulty immune systems. Take care of it in the beginning and you can beat it. Fever, too. I have to be well this week because husband’s birthday and we are supposed to go upstate! Good luck with fighting the bug and being able to do all you have to but you may have to rest the next day or so. Best, Ellen

• Kitt O'Malley October 6, 2014 / 11:32 pm

Enjoy your trip upstate. Have the leaves begun changing colors yet?

3. mihrank October 5, 2014 / 4:41 pm

Kitt – you are in out prayers – Feel better – God Bless you!!

4. gertiesjourney October 5, 2014 / 3:34 pm

First and fore most, I hope you feel better soon. Secondly, good luck with the mental health forum and most importantly good luck on with the interview for the volunteer position you desire. Positive vibes and thoughts are being sent your way from my end.

• Kitt O'Malley October 5, 2014 / 5:22 pm

Thank you, Gertie. I really appreciate it. You are my role model for doing the volunteer work.

• gertiesjourney October 5, 2014 / 5:26 pm

You’re welcome!!! Thank you for the compliment. I don’t know if I am role model. I just do what I do because I want to. It makes me feel good to help others. Its not that big of a deal.

• Kitt O'Malley October 6, 2014 / 11:31 pm

You are a role model for those of us who need to know that recovery is possible, and that we, too, can make valuable contributions to society.

5. Just Plain Ol' Vic October 5, 2014 / 2:38 pm

Get well soon!

6. Laura Droege October 5, 2014 / 2:14 pm

I hope you feel better soon, Kitt. You’ve got a lot of exciting things happening this week.

Here’s a suggestion: You could use some of the old blog posts as the basis for articles (print journals or online journals). You certainly have the qualifications to write on this topic. Just an idea!