My Dad and Dementia

Dementia on cloudy background

My dad has dementia – not Alzheimer’s, the most common type of dementia – but dementia nonetheless. His dementia has slowly progressed over many years and is greatly exacerbated by his heavy drinking. I am genetic heir to alcoholism, fear it, and drink minimally because of it.

Because I am feeling pain and anxiety over my father’s health, yesterday I spent an inordinate amount of time formatting and reformatting a cut and paste of content from the Alzheimer’s Association on how to cope over the holidays. Rather than write from my heart and deal with my angst, I spent hours tweaking HTML code until my post visually pleased me. In that small way, I exercised control, for I am not in control of my father’s brain health. I cannot make him stop drinking. I cannot stop his brain deteriorate, and it devastates me, for I love him dearly.

Yesterday’s post perhaps offered you both too much information and too little information.  Too much information on coping over the holidays should you have a family member with dementia, for you could have simply clicked on the link to the Alzheimer’s Association article at the top of the post and received the very same content verbatim. Too little, for I did not speak at all. I was silent, hiding with my heart heavy, wondering what could be done to help my mother and father face this beast.

45 thoughts on “My Dad and Dementia

1. stockdalewolfe December 12, 2014 / 2:06 pm

It is heartbreaking and so tough to deal with dementia and alcoholism. Right up there with some of the worst things. So sorry for your pain and that of your family. Your honesty was outstanding. And I send hugs and prayers. xx ellen

2. Indah Susanti December 12, 2014 / 1:03 am

I am so sorry to hear about your dad and you have to go through this as well. My thoughts with you. And wonderful post you have here by sharing information to those who needed. Cyber hugs from Rotterdam to support you! Have a good weekend 🙂

• Kitt O'Malley December 12, 2014 / 8:40 am

Thank you so much, Indah! Your photographs of nature help me cope. They say that not only immersing yourself in nature, but looking at images of nature, can relax the mind, the body, and the spirit.

3. Laura Droege December 11, 2014 / 11:14 am

I’m so sorry that you’re going through this, Kitt. Thank you for all the information you posted yesterday; if that helps even one person, then all the HTML-formatting and everything is worth it. I’m glad that you felt that you could share your pain with us today, even if you couldn’t yesterday. (One day at a time!) Hugs and prayers, my friend.

4. writerwannabe763 December 11, 2014 / 5:09 am

Kitt, I believe that for you the best thing you can do for yourself it to not strive to find the answer. I know that your heart aches for your parents, especially your father. But there is likely at this point nothing you haven’t said or suggested to him… You need to have a peace and know while you love them you cannot ‘fix’ things… you can’t feel responsibility for this… It is not yours’ to bear. If you can give this fear and heartache to God and ask Him to give you a peace and accept this, that’s what I might suggest. If I’ve been presumptuous to do so, please forgive me…. I hope that you can enjoy this Christmas…. Diane

• Kitt O'Malley December 11, 2014 / 8:22 am

Not presumptuous at all. Quite wise. Thank you. I will give it up to God in prayer.

5. findingmysunshine86 December 10, 2014 / 9:24 pm

I am so sorry to hear that you are dealing with this. We have dealt with dementia in our family too and it is heartbreaking. The person you have always known, becoming someone else. Thinking of you during this difficult time.

• Kitt O'Malley December 11, 2014 / 8:18 am

Thank you. It has been a long, slow decline for my father. He’s well aware of what is happening to his brain.

6. jaklumen December 10, 2014 / 8:03 pm

This brings up so many mixed feelings for me.

First, with my paternal grandmother. Her passing was an intensely private and personal thing for me; she was so special. I introduced her to Cimmorene before ANY other family member and she got how Cimmy was special to me before Cimmy even realized it herself.

Second, with my maternal grandmother- the very same I talk about in “I Survived the Second Part of Hallowthankamas”.

• Kitt O'Malley December 11, 2014 / 8:17 am

Thank you, Jak. For those who want to read your piece, they can find it at http://jaklumen.wordpress.com/2014/12/06/i-survived-the-second-part-of-hallowthankamas/

You do a great job of describing the ambivalence we feel when family members’ behavior is affected by dementias such as Alzheimers and Parkinsons. The behavioral changes compound already tense family dynamics. Family members who already were abusive, may become more so, and those who previously were not, may undergo personality changes as their brains change.

Thank you for sharing your family’s story.

• jaklumen December 11, 2014 / 10:16 am

My grandmother has done both. She’s gotten violent with staff members and even other residents (e.g., people she doesn’t know), but has gotten more sweet-tempered with family. I worried a lot for my folks during the move, and I still worry a bit for my grandfather– who actually is enjoying his new environs very much.

• Kitt O'Malley December 11, 2014 / 8:13 pm

I will keep them, their caretakers and fellow residents, you, and your extended family in my prayers.

7. tonyroberts64 December 10, 2014 / 5:46 pm

From reading this post (and not having read your previous one), I would say you are facing your pain and the prospect of loss (whatever form that takes) quite well. I am praying for you. If I can be of further help, please let me know.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )