Excellent post summarizing research on the negative effect of bipolar disorder on the brain over time. Medication, lithium in particular, heals and protects the brain. Take your meds, folks. Mania is damaging.

Bipolar1Blog

From: http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/bipolars-only-discussions/general-support/10087928-bipolar-gets-worse-with-age

Sarah Troy writes:

I am not a doctor. I have bipolar disorder. My responses are based on my own experience, reading and research.

QUESTION: “I know bipolars begin to experience cognitive damage with each untreated manic episode but do BPs on medication also experience this cognitive damage?”

Yes. Bipolar is a progressive, organic brain disease.

Bipolar is a major mental disease (or disorder). Research on the major mental disorders, such a bipolar, schizophrenia, major depression, and Alzheimer’s disease, shows: A) Deterioration of the brain occurs slowly over the lifespan in each of these disorders. B.) This deterioration is both structural and functional. C) There are differences between how the brain looks in each of these disorders. In other words, the brain of a bipolar has structural and functional deterioration that is different from the brain of a major depressive disorder. D) In each of these disorders, we…

View original post 328 more words

8 thoughts on “Bipolar is a Progressive, Organic Brain Disease. Medication Helps Stop Damage to Brain.

1. slipperyalligatordream January 5, 2015 / 7:17 pm

This post is eye opening! I always knew that episodes could be damaging to the brain but I never thought that it is a progressive change, regardless of medication. Kind of frightening to think about, but knowledge is power!

• Kitt O'Malley January 6, 2015 / 8:20 am

Medication does actually heal and protect the brain. Brain scans support the healing effects of proper medication.

• slipperyalligatordream January 6, 2015 / 8:29 am

Whew! I was beginning to worry that my brain was seriously deteriorating even though I take medication. Perhaps me getting better over the last 3+ years is a sign of my brain healing. I really like the information you provide to your readers…

• Kitt O'Malley January 6, 2015 / 9:03 am

I have had the exact same reaction. Scary. When I was first diagnosed, I freaked, fearing the worse.

2. Laura Droege December 16, 2014 / 10:47 am

Thanks for reblogging this. I’m currently researching schizophrenia–for my novel, not my own mental issues, which are clearly bipolar!–and I’m fascinated by how the brain works, and the comparisons/contrasts between that disease, my own bipolar disease, and other brain-degenerating diseases. Of course, what I’m really fascinated by is how people behave and think and feel when they have one of these diseases (not to mention how they behave in my novel, which always surprises me!).

• Kitt O'Malley December 16, 2014 / 12:30 pm

Sounds like a fascinating character study you are undertaking.

3. Just Plain Ol' Vic December 15, 2014 / 4:47 pm

Great post with tons of valuable information.