WordPress Reader Lists

LISTS - Create a title for your list...art, bipolar disorder, mental health, photography, poetry, writing

Wow! I guess it’s been awhile since I followed blogs using the WordPress Reader. Instead, I let my inbox overflow with email notifications of a subset of blogs I follow because I couldn’t figure out how to sort through them all. Now it turns out, they have Reader Lists! Brilliant. Now I just have to populate my lists and turn off my email notifications… which, of course, will take time and energy and probably take me even further down the rabbit hole. Quoted from Reader Lists — Support — WordPress.com:

Reader Lists

Reader Lists allow you to create and follow lists of blogs and topics inside your WordPress.com Reader. It’s a handy way to bundle groups of blogs into topics you love. You can browse your lists for your own reading pleasure, or share them with the world for others to discover. Please note that all lists are public by default.

Reader Lists can be found in the sidebar of your Reader:

reader-lists-13

To create a list, type the name of a list and hit the plus button:

reader-lists-21

Now you are editing your list. You can add an optional list description and then add items to your list. Those items can be topics:

reader-lists-3

You can also add individual blogs to your list by entering a URL (any site with an RSS feed will work):

reader-lists-4

Once you’ve finished your list, it will show you in your sidebar:

reader-lists-5

You can click on it to view the most recent content in the list. When viewing a list, you can also copy its URL and share it with the world – it’ll allow anyone to view and enjoy your list:

reader-lists-6

If you are looking at somebody else’s list and you like it, you can click “follow” next to the list’s title to add it to your own reader:

via Reader Lists — Support — WordPress.com.

25 thoughts on “WordPress Reader Lists

1. stockdalewolfe January 10, 2015 / 12:16 pm

As always, helpful and informative but seems beyond me. I do either the reader which is easier or the emails which are tedious to click on individual blogs and then posts. Hard to keep up. Anyhow thanks for shedding some light on this.

• Kitt O'Malley January 10, 2015 / 2:08 pm

I had the same problem. The reader gave me too many posts, for I follow everyone who follows me as a matter of courtesy. The emails are overwhelming clutter. Making lists (especially my short list, which you can view… somehow) helps me to focus. I’m reading fewer blogs and commenting less — something I MUST do to protect my time and energy.

2. writerwannabe763 January 8, 2015 / 9:19 pm

This sounds interesting but for now too much for me to take in. I may look into it sometime, but right now, I’ll have to go with what I know…. For those who understand it, it does sound by what you say… to be a good thing…. Diane

• Kitt O'Malley January 9, 2015 / 7:35 am

We all do what works best for us. For me, figuring out who and how to follow is a work in progress.

3. suesconsideredtrifles January 8, 2015 / 12:37 am

I use the reader, but find that blogs on other platforms do not always appear promptly. scrolling through at a later time sometimes brings up new ones. Bloglovin’ works similarly and shouldn’t favour one platform over another. Sue

• Kitt O'Malley January 8, 2015 / 11:24 am

I have a Bloglovin’ account, but frankly do not use it much. Maybe I should give it another try. So many choices…

• suesconsideredtrifles January 8, 2015 / 11:27 am

I find the Reader more convenient and judging by the numbers of followers I have on bloglovin’ so do other people. Sue

• Kitt O'Malley January 8, 2015 / 11:30 am

Exactly. Honestly, there are more than enough blogs to follow on WordPress. For those not on WP, I can subscribe by email. Besides, I find Blogger blogs really frustrating to comment on and interact with.

4. Gene'O January 7, 2015 / 9:43 pm

This feature did not exist when I started blogging. It was added while I was doing other things and not paying much attention to the reader. Discovered it not long ago, and it is fabulous. I found this post from one of my lists 🙂

I am with you on the frustrations. One of the reasons I started developing my other social media was to figure out better ways of keeping up with blogs.

5. Kitt – I’m with you. First I allowed everyone that I followed or they followed me to go into my e-mail. What a mess. It was no wonder I was receiving 20,000+ messages per day. My normal e-mail before blogging was around 3,000 daily. Of these, they were made up of congressional notices and other materials I needed to keep up with. Of course I couldn’t keep up – I had to have a life other than blogging.
    I turned off all e-mail notices and started reading from the reader but very few of the blogs I normally read made it into the reader so I’d have to hunt for them most of the time.
    I can’t wait to start this new system. It sounds perfect. Thanks for posting.
    I finally turned everyone off in my follow me via e-mail notice.

• Kitt O'Malley January 7, 2015 / 7:14 pm

I had both frustrating experiences. I remember suggesting to WordPress that they needed this capability. Apparently, I wasn’t the only one who thought so.

6. syzumba January 7, 2015 / 2:23 pm

Thanks for sharing. Im all knew at this. Did not know about creaing lists or the reader!

7. blahpolar January 7, 2015 / 1:26 pm

I think using the wp app as a reader might be the only thing it’s good for.

• Kitt O'Malley January 7, 2015 / 2:10 pm

Yes. Before, though, every single fricking blog I followed in WP was in my feed. OVERWHELMING. Now I can be selective and make little clubby subsets.