Suffering and Meaning

“Existential psychologist and Holocaust survivor Victor Frankl (1959), learned through his own direct experience of severe torture, suffering, and loss, that part of the essence of the human experience is our capacity to find meaning in living through tragedy. He said, ‘In some way, suffering ceases to be suffering at the moment it finds meaning’ (p. 113).”

– Walker Karraa, PhD, Transformed by Postpartum Depression: Women’s Stories of Trauma and Growth, http://ow.ly/HA4OL

13 thoughts on “Suffering and Meaning

1. Bipolar1Blog January 21, 2015 / 11:10 pm

I read it as part if a very intensive yoga teacher training. It is truly an amazing book!!!

2. blahpolar January 21, 2015 / 8:56 pm

I’m ashamed to say I haven’t read him; thanks for the reminder and the addition to my reading list.

3. Bipolar1Blog January 21, 2015 / 8:45 pm

I’ve read this book and I am amazed by his capacity to forgive and find meaning in even the most heinous acts perpetrated against him!

4. Just Plain Ol' Vic January 21, 2015 / 7:53 pm

That is a very insightful thought….

5. atiyarehman513 January 21, 2015 / 7:12 pm

As a psychology major, I’ve studied Frankl – his book “Mans search for meaning” is fascinating

• Kitt O'Malley January 21, 2015 / 8:02 pm

I believe it is human nature to look for and find meaning, whether or not that meaning truly exists. That is not to say I think it is a bad thing. I think it can be a beautiful thing.

• robertmgoldstein January 21, 2015 / 8:51 pm

This is an interesting point. I have faith in “us” as a species. By that I mean that when we are an intelligent life form that must find a way to transcend it’s origins. I believe that we are the intelligent life that we are looking for.

I believe that the meaning is found when each of us accepts his part and does what he or she can do to move us toward the light…I know that sounds sappy but that is only within the context of thirty+ years of celebrating the cynical.