The Benefits of Laughter

Benefits of Laughter

Thank you, Melissa Garzon, MD (medical school in Columbia – yes, she, like Sofía Vergara is a sexy, educated, and intelligent Columbian – how cool is that!), MPH (Master of Public Health from UC Berkeley – where I got my BA), for creating this great infographic. I just LOVE Melissa. She laughs at my jokes. Not only that, she’s the Multicultural Coordinator for NAMI Orange County and handles Outreach and Social Media. For those who cannot read the infographic (the obvious downside of infographics is that not everyone can read graphics – why alt text or text following the graphic is so important), here’s what it says:

Benefits of Laughter – Chuckle!

Get on your giggle and check out the potential benefits of laughter on your mind, body and soul!

• Improves memory
  • Makes you prettier (my favorite benefit)
  • Boosts the immune system
  • Relieves tension in muscles
  • Increases blood flow and circulation
  • Strengthens relationships by increasing trust
  • Reduces depression & anxiety
  • Improves sleep quality

“Use your smile to change the world, but do not let the world change your smile.”

Made by: Melissa Garzon

14 thoughts on “The Benefits of Laughter

1. gabriel360live February 21, 2015 / 10:39 am

Great post! And I love the quote about not letting the world change your smile. 🙂

My favorite quote on laughter comes from Victor Borge:

“Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.”

2. thetattootourist February 10, 2015 / 1:00 pm

Good reminder. And thank you for adding something uplifting to the conversation online – always welcome!

• Kitt O'Malley February 10, 2015 / 1:21 pm

You are welcome. I should do so on a more regular basis, actually. In person, I can be humorous. My blog, though, tends to be fairly serious (with the exception of my flower pics, of course).

3. Lifelover February 8, 2015 / 10:33 pm

” Don’t let the world change your smile…..” ..wonderful thought. Laughter is the best therapy.

4. dbp49 February 8, 2015 / 6:41 pm

That is absolutely wonderful, and perhaps the most useful infographic I’ve ever come across.

5. Just Plain Ol' Vic February 8, 2015 / 4:16 pm

Nothing is so wonderful as a genuine, my sides are hurting and tears streaming down my cheeks, belly laugh!!

• Kitt O'Malley February 8, 2015 / 5:38 pm

Cannot agree more. Humor helps keep marriage strong, too. Excellent coping mechanism, plus it’s just fun.