Writer’s Quote Wednesday – Kurt Vonnegut

Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward. ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I find laughter to be an excellent coping mechanism, lifting burdens from the heart, making light from darkness.

Thank you Colleen Chesebro at SilverThreading.com for organizing Writer’s Quote Wednesday 2015. This week Colleen quotes Dame Maggie Smith, in character as the Dowager Countess of Grantham:

“A lack of compassion can be as vulgar as an excess of tears,” said to Lady Mary, in regard to Lady Edith on the recent loss of her boyfriend, Michael Gregson…

Compassion seems to be the one thing that is lacking in our world today.  However, there seems to be a great amount of drama and tears prevalent instead.  I have always thought it best to have some of both and follow a middle path.

Writer's Quote Wednesday 2015

In keeping with the theme of Colleen Chesebro‘s quote, I want let you know about 1000 Voices Speak for Compassion (#1000speak) on Friday, February 20, 2015. Please join us. Learn more about #1000speak for Compassion on Facebook at facebook.com/1000VoicesSpeak and on the #1000speak for Compassion blog at 1000speak.wordpress.com. I plan to write a blog post about showing compassion for children, for preventing the trauma of child abuse.

02/20/15 #1000speak 1000 Voices Speak for Compassion

20 thoughts on “Writer’s Quote Wednesday – Kurt Vonnegut

1. e February 19, 2015 / 1:16 pm

This is good stuff! I wasn’t aware of this movement Kitt…thank uou

• Kitt O'Malley February 19, 2015 / 2:58 pm

You are welcome! Small movements grow into large ones!

2. alberta February 19, 2015 / 2:26 am

Thanks for letting us know of compassion days – will try and find time today to write a post however short for tomorrow:)

3. eloisedesousa February 18, 2015 / 11:46 pm

Reblogged this on Thoughts by Mello-Elo and commented:

Touching on quotes leading to #1000Speak for Compassion. Don’t forget to join us all tomorrow as we fight with compassion to combat the negatives in this world.

4. olganm February 18, 2015 / 4:03 pm

Great quote. Both have their place…Although laughter is easier to share with others and more contagious… (probably). Thanks for the information too…

5. Silver Threading February 18, 2015 / 12:30 pm

Thank you Kitt for sharing the information about 1000 Voices for Compassion. I too, will be writing a blog post to support the cause. I really enjoyed your quote. I have gone both ways in response to frustration and must agree, laughter is quite liberating. Thank you for sharing. ❤

6. hirundine608 February 18, 2015 / 12:14 pm

I enjoy a good laugh or a chuckle . As much as anyone else.

Though, I find myself frequently bemused around TV shows that constantly depict english titled families, as their characters and settings? Why are the super wealthy used as the objects of a type of soap opera? I am not a script writer nor an executive for a production outlet. Yet I could suggest so many other ways to entertain. Without the obsequiousness of this, “touch of the cap” entertainment. The landed gentry have bought nothing but grief to ordinary folks. They are a type of criminal “class”. That has seized power in society. Only now, to put on airs as if they are better than us.

I realize that the fiction. Plays on human nature of a type of fascination. A bit like a snake under the stare of a mongoose. Those who enjoy the shows, I would not dump on their enjoyment. I still feel the writers could do better. After all one of the most successful soaps is Coronation Street.

In general, I’m not entertained by either Downton Abbey or Coronation Street. I enjoy intelligent humour. Like the quote from Mr. Vonnegut. Newspaper cartoon strips, etc.

Especially this one. http://www.gocomics.com/getfuzzy Though it takes some following, to understand the characters. Cheers Jamie

• Kitt O'Malley February 18, 2015 / 2:28 pm

My son and his cousin like Get Fuzzy. I prefer Pearls before Swine. Honestly, I don’t watch the British comedies. The Downton Abbey quote came from Colleen Chesebro who organizes Writer’s Quote Wednesday. I’m not nearly so high brow.