Do NOT Smoke!

American Lung Association | Freedom From SmokingFirst of all I hope and pray that I am able to emotionally support my husband as he experiences grief, having lost his oldest brother last week to lung cancer. Grief, anxiety, and the fear of loss is what prompted me to begin writing this blog back in September 2013.

American Cancer SocietyMy husband benefitted from visiting his brother before he died. He was able to spend time with him and to come to terms with his imminent death.

DO NOT SMOKE. Please take care of your lungs.

38 thoughts on “Do NOT Smoke!

1. milankagiordano March 12, 2015 / 1:05 am

There are so many of us that have lost someone close to lung cancer. For me it was a close family friend who meant more to me than my father. A very dear father to his own children and a life traveller to his wife. My aunt (his wife) wrote this beautiful poem for his service and the title was “My Life Traveller”. I send loving and comforting thoughts to you and your husband. ❤

• Kitt O'Malley March 12, 2015 / 8:51 am

I am so very sorry that you lost your uncle/father-figure to lung cancer. (((hugs))) Tragic loss.

Thank you for your condolences.

2. Andrew G. Alt March 11, 2015 / 6:57 pm

Quitting smoking often comes to the forefront of my mind. Your post is a good reinforcement. Thank you.

I began meditating six years ago, and hoped that would help me cope with nicotine withdrawal, which is especially hard for me because I already deal with major depression, generalized anxiety disorder, and insufficient coping/stress management skills.

I restarted individual therapy for mental health issues last January, and joined a DBT group. I was first introduced to CBT 20 years ago, but as I learn more about DBT, I get a strong sense it may help fill in some gaps.

It’s great that your husband had the opportunity to see his brother. I’ve lost some people in the last six years that I never had the opportunity to say goodbye to. It’s always better to be able to say goodbye and express feelings and appreciation about loved ones before they leave the Earth.

My condolences on your loss.

• Kitt O'Malley March 12, 2015 / 8:47 am

Thank you. Aside from your smoking, you are doing a great job taking care of yourself. There is an unusually high <a href=”http://www2.nami.org/Content/NavigationMenu/Hearts_and_Minds/Smoking_Cessation/Smoking_and_Mental_Illness.htm” target=_blank”>correlation between smoking and mental illness. 44.3% cigarettes in US are consumed by those with mental illness or other substance abuse issues.

• Andrew G. Alt March 12, 2015 / 5:57 pm

Kitt, thanks for the link. That jives with an article I read several years ago. What little I recall is that a study indicated combat veterans with PTSD had a much harder time quitting smoking. I’m not a combat vet, but as I’ve indicated, I do have some mental health issues. But one important thing I take away from this type of research is that people shouldn’t be seen as “weak”, nor should they be judged for a delay in their ability to quit smoking successfully, but rather focus on methods that will lead to eventual success.

3. lydiaa1614 March 11, 2015 / 6:35 pm

Thank you for a touching and frank post. Prayers and condolences to you, your husband and family. I know the pain and sorrow that years of smoking can cause. I lost a dear friend last month to lung cancer and my mother passed away 20 years ago today from it. My father passed away 3 years ago from complications of COPD (the same as Leonard Nimoy). I quit 30+ years ago when I was diagnosed with asthma and am also a “candidate” for COPD. {{{{{hugs}}}}}.

• Kitt O'Malley March 12, 2015 / 8:43 am

So sorry for your losses secondary to poor lung health. I, too, have asthma. Thank you for your condolencees.

4. bpnurse March 11, 2015 / 4:29 pm

Prayers for comfort and healing for both of you. I am so sorry for your loss.

5. Terri Webster Schrandt March 11, 2015 / 4:18 pm

Prayers for you and your family! I lost my grandfather to lung cancer, and my hubbie lost his father to it as well. His father did not smoke!

• Kitt O'Malley March 11, 2015 / 4:34 pm

So sorry. Losses on both sides. It is true that you can die of lung cancer without ever having smoked. Clearly, smoking puts one at greater risk. I send my condolences to both you and your husband for your losses.

6. Ava March 11, 2015 / 3:59 pm

Hello Kitt! I know it has been a hard time for you and your husband. I too have lost a close one to lung cancer; my father. I was 17yrs old and I believe that is the trauma that made my bipolar show its ugly head. Kitt I am thinking of you and your family. Prayers to you…and thank you for the awareness of what smoking does…it kills. However, I am guilty of such a nasty cigarette addiction.

• Kitt O'Malley March 11, 2015 / 4:31 pm

I am so sorry that you lost your father at such a young age. That was no doubt incredibly traumatic for you. Tragic.

• Ava March 11, 2015 / 4:34 pm

Thanks Kitt… I was never the same after my daddy died…I was a daddy’s girl

• Kitt O'Malley March 11, 2015 / 4:32 pm

Check out the American Lung Association link. See if their program helps. My father quit by using hypnotherapy. Just remembered. Guess I could mention it in the blog post…

7. georgetteann March 11, 2015 / 3:57 pm

I lost an aunt to lung cancer last year. So young. Heart breaking.

8. cavellemartin March 11, 2015 / 3:57 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours (((hugs)))