GET.gg Cognitive Behaviour Therapy Self-Help Resources

Awesome CBT Self-Help Resources from GET.gg!

Self Help & Therapist Resources

Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) has been proven to help mental health problems.  This website offers CBT self-help information, resources and including therapy worksheets on the FREE DOWNLOADS PAGES:  worksheets & handouts

via GET.gg Cognitive Behaviour Therapy Self-Help Resources.

13 thoughts on “GET.gg Cognitive Behaviour Therapy Self-Help Resources

1. It’s always great to have as many resources as possible available. I’ve worked within the confines of CBT, Jungian, Emersion and others. I’ve come to the conclusion that one type of therapy cannot work for 10 years or more before a change is needed. I would never recommend Emersion Therapy under any circumstance.

• Kitt O'Malley April 8, 2015 / 11:06 pm

Most excellent therapists practice a combination of methods. Basically, I believe in doing what works. What you need at one time, you do not at another. CBT by itself gets old fast. I learned the skill (which literally saved my life, so I do not dismiss its value) then wanted to go deeper. I crave intellectual and spiritual challenge.

• Kitt – I recently picked up a copy of Psychotherapy Network, the March/April issue and was horrified how therapist threw what I considered trash at their own profession. When I look back over the years at the truly remarkable therapist I’ve connected with [and I’ve no claim to being an easy client] there’s only 6 I’d consider suitable to hang out their shingle. They each have their own unique styles and I recognize I’m a demanding client. I know going in they must be intelligent or they’ll be wasting not only my time but the money of my insurance company. My current therapist wins hands down and I’ve been with her the longest and wouldn’t dream of changing. She has a way of getting to the very core of who I am and those issues I still need to work on. Best of all, I know she cares about me as a person and she’s invaluable when my own body is failing me and Tom’s in crisis. Most of all, I can be me and no other therapist has ever gotten that far with me before.

2. dyane March 13, 2015 / 12:45 pm

I’m happy you’re helping Blahpolar Diaries – love her & her blog! My therapist said that CBT is classic therapy and very effective for most people. To my surprise, a friend of mine shared recently that she’s in Jungian therapy; she said “didn’t believe the messages about herself that CBT wanted her to assimilate”, while another woman I know swears by CBT. We’re all different!!! Anyway, thank you for sharing this very helpful info. with us, my dear!!!!! What a great self-help resource!

• Kitt O'Malley March 13, 2015 / 6:02 pm

I initially did cognitive therapy at 18, but eventually found it tedious and boring. Learned a literally life-saving skill, though. So important to be able to stop and distance yourself from a harmful or dangerous thought or impulse. To question it. To debate yourself.

Honestly, though it may have made me sicker, I enjoyed digging deeper for meaning in my psychodynamic training. The therapy, though, in which I was constantly told that my parents had “abused” me ended up being like picking at a scab for five years – never letting it heal.

Jungian theory is different than Freudian theory, though. More spiritual in nature. Less about blame parents. I really am no expert on Jungian theory.

3. Andrew G. Alt March 11, 2015 / 7:01 pm

CBT is great! Is is okay if I suggest a link to a site belonging to one of CBT’s pioneers? I’d also like to suggest a similar type of therapy here if that’s okay.

• Kitt O'Malley March 12, 2015 / 8:47 am

Go right ahead. You can link to your site, as well. I’m totally into sharing great resources.

• Andrew G. Alt March 12, 2015 / 6:05 pm

Okay, then. 🙂

Some people may know the name of Dr. David Burns, and have heard of his book, The Feeling Good Handbook. As I understand it, he was a chief pioneer in the field of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. His wordpress web site is at http://feelinggood.com/

As for the other form of therapy I mentioned, DBT, which some might call a close cousin of CBT:

Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) is a cognitive behavioral treatment that was originally developed to treat chronically suicidal individuals diagnosed with borderline personality disorder (BPD) and it is now recognized as the gold standard psychological treatment for this population. In addition, research has shown that it is effective in treating a wide range of other disorders such as substance dependence, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and eating disorders.[…]

I hope you and your readers find both of these to be a great resource. 😉

My site is linked to in my name, but it’s mostly a personal blog with no primary focus at present (though lately, yes I have been posting a lot of mental health-related items), so I don’t really think of it as a resource, but thank you for the offer, Kitt 🙂 You have a nice evening. 🙂