Spring is REALLY LOUD

Common yellowthroat  Credit: George Gentry/USFWS
Common yellowthroat
Credit: George Gentry/USFWS

Springtime can trigger seasonal affective disorder (SAD) in both those with depression and bipolar disorder. For those of us with bipolar disorder, SAD can trigger mania and hypomania. The stressors of these changes contributed to my psychiatric hospitalization a decade ago.

As spring has approached and the days have lengthened, I have had mild symptoms of hypomania, including insomnia, which I addressed with my psychiatrist by reducing my SSRI dose. We left my dosage of divalproex (Depakote) the same. Initially, we tried halving my dose of the SSRI escitalopram (Lexapro) to 2.5 mg for six days, with the intent of removing the SSRI altogether. But I found myself unable to stay awake during the daytime, so I remain on 2.5 mg.

To me, spring is a cacophony of noises accompanying the frenzy of renewed life. The days are longer. The birds build nests and make it known loudly and clearly with their calls that they are mating and starting anew. All that springtime bursting and bustling of new life, is stimulating, and for me, overstimulating.

42 thoughts on “Spring is REALLY LOUD

1. Indah Susanti March 17, 2015 / 4:57 am

My thoughts with you Kitt..I hope the medication change will goes well..virtual hugs from Rotterdam ❤

• Kitt O'Malley March 17, 2015 / 10:28 am

Thank you, Indah. If I need an emotional boost, I’ll look at your gorgeous photos. Nature’s beauty is always uplifting. Thank you for sharing your gift with us.

• Indah Susanti March 19, 2015 / 4:07 am

You made my day, Kitt! And thank you for always providing valuable information to the ones in need! Best wishes 🙂

2. Sean Mungin March 14, 2015 / 5:27 pm

Oh my! Does this affect last long? Or is it in the initial stages of the change in seasons?

3. Laura Droege March 14, 2015 / 4:06 pm

Totally understand. Spring and fall are my most unstable times. If I’m going to have a breakdown, it will be in March/April/May or September/October. I’ve read that suicide rates peak in May in the Northern Hemisphere, with a lesser peak in September; in the southern hemisphere, it’s apparently the opposite (highest peak in Sept., 2nd peak in May). So it is vital for those of us with these issues to be aware, take our meds, and keep our eyes open for others who might be in mentally precarious places.

4. stockdalewolfe March 14, 2015 / 7:25 am

Just want to add that some people have reverse SAD. They get depressed in Spring and Summer and manic in Fall and winter. I used to be one of them but since I now equate winter with illness and danger (driving in snow, etc.) perhaps it will be different. My manic break happened on Nov. 2nd.

• Kitt O'Malley March 14, 2015 / 4:29 pm

Thank you for pointing that out, Ellen. Intriguing how individuals vary. Perhaps some day we will know why. So sorry about your manic break. Hope you are doing well now. I know that this has been a very difficult winter for you and your husband. I hope that this Spring doesn’t depress you.

• stockdalewolfe March 14, 2015 / 5:35 pm

Thank you, Kitt. After this winter I am happy for warmer weather. It was so cold here and husband sick for so long. Maybe Spring will bring the charm. Hope you stay even and all works out.

• Kitt O'Malley March 14, 2015 / 9:40 pm

I’m doing well so far. Halving my SSRI helped. I do hope and pray that your warmer spring weather brings health and vibrancy to you and yours.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )