Spring is REALLY LOUD

Common yellowthroat  Credit: George Gentry/USFWS
Common yellowthroat
Credit: George Gentry/USFWS

Springtime can trigger seasonal affective disorder (SAD) in both those with depression and bipolar disorder. For those of us with bipolar disorder, SAD can trigger mania and hypomania. The stressors of these changes contributed to my psychiatric hospitalization a decade ago.

As spring has approached and the days have lengthened, I have had mild symptoms of hypomania, including insomnia, which I addressed with my psychiatrist by reducing my SSRI dose. We left my dosage of divalproex (Depakote) the same. Initially, we tried halving my dose of the SSRI escitalopram (Lexapro) to 2.5 mg for six days, with the intent of removing the SSRI altogether. But I found myself unable to stay awake during the daytime, so I remain on 2.5 mg.

To me, spring is a cacophony of noises accompanying the frenzy of renewed life. The days are longer. The birds build nests and make it known loudly and clearly with their calls that they are mating and starting anew. All that springtime bursting and bustling of new life, is stimulating, and for me, overstimulating.

42 thoughts on “Spring is REALLY LOUD

1. La Sabrosona March 14, 2015 / 4:38 am

I’ve been riding the wave since signs of spring have appeared. I’ve been absolutely and unequivocally hypomanic, getting quite “high” actually. It feels really good after being in a funk all winter. The danger is in obsessive compulsive behaviour, shirking my house duties and being in my own little world as thoughts race incessantly.

Sticking to a routine is important to not get “carried away”. Thanks for the post. Also had no idea that SAD included springtime hypomania/mania.

• Kitt O'Malley March 14, 2015 / 4:22 pm

I can totally relate even though our seasonal changes are not nearly as dramatic as changes in Canada. Yes – SAD includes hypomania/mania in spring. Hospitalizations rise.

2. Sandy Sue March 14, 2015 / 3:28 am

Yep, me, too. The loud thing is real for me. I want my windows open, but all the motorcycles! And the people driving by who have to share their bass-driven music! My hypomanic symptoms are lots of irritation, agitation, anger. Ugh. This is Bitch Season for me.

• Kitt O'Malley March 14, 2015 / 4:21 pm

Yup. I’m holed up in our bedroom, limiting my interaction with my husband and son.

3. Kelly March 13, 2015 / 9:57 pm

Seeing as this is my first year as a Bipolar-ite, I never really thought of Spring causing SAD. Usually it’s one of my favourite times of year (Fall being the other), but I definitely have noticed a bit of a shift this year. Interesting.

• Kitt O'Malley March 14, 2015 / 12:58 am

The thing is for those of us with bipolar, we can get hypomanic or manic when the days get longer. Not everyone with bipolar, but those affected by sunlight. We experience seasonal mood shifts more than others.

4. Just Plain Ol' Vic March 13, 2015 / 7:23 pm

It is interesting that you always assume depression (or SAD) comes with winter, but not always so. Thanks again for educating me a bit more and giving me some alternative perspective on things!

5. krystal26 March 13, 2015 / 6:50 pm

Yes! I totally feel what you have written here. I don’t typically get depressed during the winter, but all my manias have happened during the spring/summer time (April to June). I hope that you get your hypomanic symptoms under control.

~Krystal (Manic Monique)

6. bpnurse March 13, 2015 / 6:42 pm

I like the way you characterize Spring as “loud”. It’s definitely stimulating! I’m not quite hypomanic but oh so close, and have been since the weather got warm and sunny. Thank God for the slew of meds I’m on or I’d be dancing on the mountains of the moon by now. Hope your med adjustment works well for you!

7. dyane March 13, 2015 / 6:40 pm

I’m feeling the shift too. I’m trying to get more sleep, continue with daily exercise, and keep up with mundane daily tasks (laundry, dishes, bills etc.) so I don’t become more overwhelmed. The time change really messed with me. :0 Makes me want to move to Hawaii, where they don’t observe it!

I also hope your med changes settle and that you feel less stimulated in the coming weeks.
    I love the picture of the Common yellowthroat!

• Marie Abanga March 14, 2015 / 5:18 am

Oh my, while I am here wishing that this depressing winter season gives way fast? Maybe because I am from the tropics. All the winters I have spent here have dealt with my psychic. I just wish you all the best; my lady and Kitt dearest 🙂

• dyane March 14, 2015 / 7:57 am

XOXOXO It was in the 70’s yesterday and I did love it! The mornings are still cold, though. So weird!!!

• Kitt O'Malley March 14, 2015 / 4:29 pm

It has been hot today and yesterday – REALLY hot – here.

• Kitt O'Malley March 14, 2015 / 4:25 pm

The tropics are quite different than Belgium! Easier on one’s moods, too, for day and night hours and seasons do not vary as dramatically, or if you live on the equator, not at all.

8. cavellemartin March 13, 2015 / 6:31 pm

Love the sounds of Spring but it can be kind of overwhelming…the birds…so many birds lol. I hope everything goes well with your medication change. 🙂