Sonoma County – Wild Open Spaces #Writing101

Rocks and surf on Goat Rock Beach
Rocks and surf on Goat Rock Beach
© Frank Schulenburg / CC-BY-SA-3.0

A place belongs forever to whoever claims it hardest, remembers it most obsessively, wrenches it from itself, shapes it, renders it, loves it so radically that he remakes it in his own image.
– Joan Didion

Sonoma County holds a special place in my heart. My husband and I bought our first house in Petaluma at the southern edge of the county, and our son was born there.

Sonoma County is breathtakingly beautiful. When we lived there I enjoyed rugged coastline, sandy beaches, farm country, wineries, oak-studded coastal prairies, redwood forests, the Russian River and the Petaluma River. Although I am happy in south Orange County, I do miss the wide open wild spaces of Sonoma County.

18 thoughts on “Sonoma County – Wild Open Spaces #Writing101

1. lilypup April 8, 2015 / 2:58 pm

Kitt, I am really lost. Did you do your three songs? I can’t find them. lily

2. Indah Susanti April 8, 2015 / 11:53 am

I can imagine beautiful the place is from your description! Gorgeous picture too 😊 well chosen Kitt!

3. Just Plain Ol' Vic April 7, 2015 / 6:27 pm

Just looking at the photo, I can see why you find that area so beautiful!

4. Jennifer Butler Basile April 7, 2015 / 12:02 pm

I, too, am in love with Sonoma County. Alas, I have not been there in over a decade – not physically at least. I go there quite frequently in my mind!

5. amoafowaa April 7, 2015 / 10:51 am

It is beautiful. Thanks for sharing, may have to go there in future.

• Kitt O'Malley April 7, 2015 / 2:34 pm

I highly recommend it. Really California has much beauty.