Nurturing Bath #1000Speak

Compassion – Nurturing – 1000VoicesSpeak.org

As I desperately reached out in compassion for others this past 10 days, I’ve neglected myself. I fueled my efforts with hypomanic energy, all the while sick with gastroenteritis and caring for an even sicker son. Poor baby gets gastro really bad (badly). So here I address compassion burnout, nurturing others while neglecting oneself.

My step today to nurture my self is quite simple. I’m taking a bath.

18 thoughts on “Nurturing Bath #1000Speak

1. jaklumen April 21, 2015 / 11:09 pm

This is great, Kitt– Bobbi Parish and Athena Moberg have been discussing self-care (and hygiene) with us this week.

It can be a little bit more difficult for abuse survivors sometimes, because some methods of care are tied into our circumstances and history of abuse. A few people in our chats said baths weren’t a good option because they were too connected to past abuse. We talked a lot about ways to take care of ourselves while getting around the traumatic parts.

Compassion burnout is a real thing; maybe you read what I had to say on that recently. I am so glad that my father is a week or so out of the hospital and healing; I was summoned to help care for him and that really WAS hard. I can also say that Cimmy has had plenty of burnout just looking after me and our son. It’s frustrating sometimes– a lot of my extended family is the unwell taking care of the more unwell.

• Kitt O'Malley April 21, 2015 / 11:33 pm

Don’t I know that scenario. Had a couple of major meltdowns myself today – first to forcefully awaken my son and get him to school, later yelling at my husband and slamming the microwave door before going myself a time out to cool off. I’m at my wits end, at times.

2. dyane April 21, 2015 / 5:16 pm

I love the G-rated video! For a moment there I wondered if your hypomania had increased and you were about to treat us to a very special “show”! 😉 JUST KIDDING! (I know I shouldn’t joke about it, but you know that I can be a freak sometimes. Okay, okay, all the time!)

You’ve inspired me to take a bath soon!

I need to take a bath for my aching back and for my oodles of stress. I also plan to buy some Epsom salts. I have wonderful essential oils at the ready to use in a bath as well.

For his birthday, I bought Craig a fancy $16 bath pillow at CVS that’s made of special material that molds to you – I forget the high-tech name, but the girls accidentally immersed the pillow completely int water (which is a no-no, which seems dumb for a bath pillow, but whatever) and so the thing may be ruined. Boo.

3. Louise April 20, 2015 / 7:29 pm

Love this! It is very easy to neglect yourself while caring for everyone else. I hope you had an amazing bath!

4. MENTALLY ME (@stuckinscared) April 20, 2015 / 2:01 am

Oh, I love, love your take on this months theme!

I could feel myself relaxing as I watched your feet wiggle, and listened to your self soothing – Fabulous post Kitt:)

Kimmie x

• Kitt O'Malley April 20, 2015 / 7:21 am

Thank you, Kimmie! XOXOXO ❤ Hope all is well. In my thoughts and prayers.

5. radhika17 April 19, 2015 / 11:59 pm

Ah, Nurturing bath seems cool and relaxing! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

6. Romi April 19, 2015 / 9:01 pm

I should have added ‘taking a bath’ to my list. 🙂 Taking a bath is so relaxing.

Thank you for your comment in my blog.

7. Anonymous April 19, 2015 / 7:27 pm

I’m very glad you’re taking a bath… And I am burning up with envy. I don’t have a bathtub. When I get over this drafted urinary tract infection, I think I’ll go camp at the Hot Springs for as long as I can afford to do so.

You really ought to take a bath at the end of every day. I think it’s a good way to stay grounded and besides, it feels….so….GOOD!

• Kitt O'Malley April 19, 2015 / 8:17 pm

Bathing is so relaxing and grounding. I agree. Growing up I had a stand up shower and no bath. Now I really value our bathtub.

• Kitt O'Malley April 19, 2015 / 8:17 pm

In fact, we converted a large shower into a deep soaking tub.

8. Just Plain Ol' Vic April 19, 2015 / 6:54 pm

Don’t forget the Epsom Salt to relax those muscles!