Who, Me, Perimenopausal?

How long does perimenopause last, anyway? I, for one, am sick of it.

Learn about perimenopausal depression during Women's Health Week with NIMH expert Dr. Peter Schmidt. Twitter Chat May 13, 11 am ET #NIMHChats

Tomorrow! NIMH Twitter Chat on Perimenopausal Depression – May 13

05/12/2015
While transitioning into menopause, women experience various physical, psychological, and social changes that may affect their quality of life. This transition period is known as perimenopause, which has been found to be a time of vulnerability for women to develop depression. Learn more about perimenopausal depression during our Twitter chat tomorrow on May 13th from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. ET. Please use #NIMHChats to follow the discussion and ask questions.

15 thoughts on “Who, Me, Perimenopausal?

1. vanbytheriver May 14, 2015 / 5:34 am

Hang in there, mine lasted almost 8 years, but in the end, it will all be worth it !!! ☺ Those are the same words I used on my husband the entire time. I’m not sure he felt the same about the whole process. We’re still together.

2. nananoyz May 13, 2015 / 12:34 pm

I experienced perimenopause for what seemed like forever. After my bout with breast cancer I thought, good, the estrogen inhibitors will move me past that stage. Nope. I finally had a hysterectomy.

• Kitt O'Malley May 13, 2015 / 3:42 pm

I hope it won’t come to that, but this is just ridiculous. My body cannot make up its mind. It’s been years of thinking I’m about to go through the change, but no…

• nananoyz May 13, 2015 / 3:53 pm

I started with perimenopause around the age of 43. I had my hysterectomy at 55. Apparently I had enough estrogen for all the women in North America because in spite of taking Tamoxifen I just kept on having regular/irregular periods. It sucked.

3. Amy May 13, 2015 / 10:33 am

The good news is that since I went through menopause and figured out the HRT I haven’t experienced as much anxiety and depression. It is different for everyone and it takes time to figure it out. The hot flashes were the worst part for me.

• Kitt O'Malley May 13, 2015 / 11:07 am

I cannot wait to get through perimenopause and menopause. My body and brain are SO over this whole thing.

4. dyane May 13, 2015 / 9:05 am

What are my thoughts?
    Deep ones?
    Nah.

These are the thoughts going through your Drama Queen, Slightly Narcissistic Pal’s weary brain that only got 4 or 5 hours “sans-Serouqel sleep” last night:

“Please God, do not let me get evil perimenopause until the frickin’ book is done.
    Throw me a bone here! Pul-lease! Or better yet, why don’t you just give me a free pass on the whole thing? I hear the odd miracle story from women who I want to maim, i.e.
    “Oh, I had absolutely no problems with menopause – I just sailed right through it.”

XoXo talk soon…

• Kitt O'Malley May 13, 2015 / 11:05 am

I just want to get over with it. Perimenopause – whatever that is – seems to be lasting forever. My body just won’t give it up. I hate it. I find myself incredibly irritable with absolutely NO REASON for being so. Annoying.

• Ann May 13, 2015 / 6:49 pm

My gyn told me a couple years ago that the peri menopause years can last a decade or so before the actual event. I hear ya!