Happy Anniversary

My husband & I kissing on our wedding day in front of Lake Tahoe

Eighteen years ago today, my husband and I married. That’s beautiful Lake Tahoe behind us. Still in love after all these years. I love my husband most of all for being a loving father to our son. Yes, he adores me. That goes without question. He’s devoted, hard-working, good looking, and smart. I’m blessed to have him as my spouse.

My mother and I made that dress. I ended up doing much of the work. The dress had to be lined, so in effect we made two dresses. The fabric required tiny French seams on both dress and lining and a hand-sewn rolled hem. The lace was too delicate to support the dress, so the bodice had to be lined with a fine mesh – again with barely visible French seams. The fabric was a delicate, iridescent, light-weight jersey that clung and showed every imperfection, so it had to be precisely and flawlessly sewn.

Just noticed – I didn’t yet have a turkey neck. Those were the days, back when I was in my thirties, and my age had not yet begun to show.

45 thoughts on “Happy Anniversary

1. Julie May 22, 2015 / 5:46 am

Your dress was lovely and you sewing skills are impressive. Wishing you many happy years more.

2. awritershelper May 19, 2015 / 8:12 pm

Wow–sewing a wedding dress–wow. I didn’t know there were things called French seams. Of course, me and needles never got along. Beautiful photo and CONGRATULATIONS!

• Kitt O'Malley May 20, 2015 / 11:16 am

I didn’t either, until I had to do them in order to get the dress to work. It was a learning process.

3. abodyofhope May 19, 2015 / 1:57 pm

Happy Anniversary! Your dress is beautiful, as are you. Bless you and your husband in your marriage ❤

4. Indah Susanti May 19, 2015 / 8:20 am

Happy Anniversary Kitt! What a beautiful photo and also dress! Wow, you and your mom made it, that makes it even more special. Hope you have a wonderful one 🙂

5. vanbytheriver May 18, 2015 / 7:12 pm

Happy Anniversary, Kitt. Such a perfect setting for your lovely photo. And the dress is fabulous.It’s so nice to hear marital success stories. ☺ Van

6. stockdalewolfe May 18, 2015 / 7:12 pm

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, KITT! A happy marriage 💑 is a true sacrament– one of the best blessings on earth. May you have many, many more happy years together! ellen

7. bpnurse May 18, 2015 / 5:48 pm

I love nothing better than a great love story. Congratulations on your anniversary and thanks for sharing yours!

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )