Happy Anniversary

My husband & I kissing on our wedding day in front of Lake Tahoe

Eighteen years ago today, my husband and I married. That’s beautiful Lake Tahoe behind us. Still in love after all these years. I love my husband most of all for being a loving father to our son. Yes, he adores me. That goes without question. He’s devoted, hard-working, good looking, and smart. I’m blessed to have him as my spouse.

My mother and I made that dress. I ended up doing much of the work. The dress had to be lined, so in effect we made two dresses. The fabric required tiny French seams on both dress and lining and a hand-sewn rolled hem. The lace was too delicate to support the dress, so the bodice had to be lined with a fine mesh – again with barely visible French seams. The fabric was a delicate, iridescent, light-weight jersey that clung and showed every imperfection, so it had to be precisely and flawlessly sewn.

Just noticed – I didn’t yet have a turkey neck. Those were the days, back when I was in my thirties, and my age had not yet begun to show.

45 thoughts on “Happy Anniversary

1. Julie May 22, 2015 / 5:46 am

Your dress was lovely and you sewing skills are impressive. Wishing you many happy years more.

2. awritershelper May 19, 2015 / 8:12 pm

Wow–sewing a wedding dress–wow. I didn’t know there were things called French seams. Of course, me and needles never got along. Beautiful photo and CONGRATULATIONS!

• Kitt O'Malley May 20, 2015 / 11:16 am

I didn’t either, until I had to do them in order to get the dress to work. It was a learning process.

3. abodyofhope May 19, 2015 / 1:57 pm

Happy Anniversary! Your dress is beautiful, as are you. Bless you and your husband in your marriage ❤

4. Indah Susanti May 19, 2015 / 8:20 am

Happy Anniversary Kitt! What a beautiful photo and also dress! Wow, you and your mom made it, that makes it even more special. Hope you have a wonderful one 🙂

5. vanbytheriver May 18, 2015 / 7:12 pm

Happy Anniversary, Kitt. Such a perfect setting for your lovely photo. And the dress is fabulous.It’s so nice to hear marital success stories. ☺ Van

6. stockdalewolfe May 18, 2015 / 7:12 pm

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, KITT! A happy marriage 💑 is a true sacrament– one of the best blessings on earth. May you have many, many more happy years together! ellen

7. bpnurse May 18, 2015 / 5:48 pm

I love nothing better than a great love story. Congratulations on your anniversary and thanks for sharing yours!

8. Just Plain Ol' Vic May 18, 2015 / 5:26 pm

Wow!! Congrats!! Such a wonderful milestone!

9. e May 18, 2015 / 4:57 pm

YAY!!!!! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO YOU & YOUR HUSBAND💜💗💜

10. Angie Mc May 18, 2015 / 3:04 pm

Congratulations! Precious photo, just lovely. Your bouquet is stunning…so happy 😀

11. Marie Abanga May 18, 2015 / 11:45 am

Wow Happy Anniversary Kitt, indeed that picture is so sublime. Like a movie scene in one of those good ol days … All the best to you all

• Kitt O'Malley May 18, 2015 / 12:07 pm

Thank you, Marie. One of my co-workers at the time thought that it was a backdrop, like a movie green-screen. Those of us who had been to Lake Tahoe let him know that it really is that beautiful. The storm clouds made the photo extra special. It rained after our wedding.

12. Divorce With Me May 18, 2015 / 11:39 am

Beautiful! Happy anniversary! So lovely to hear someone speak so highly of their spouse after so long together. Makes me have faith in marriage. Many blessings!

• Kitt O'Malley May 18, 2015 / 12:05 pm

Yes. Not every hour, day, month, or even year is happy. We’ve been through difficult times together. It has made our marriage stronger. We are more in love now and appreciate each other more now. It helps that neither of us have ever strayed. Trust is key.

• Divorce With Me May 18, 2015 / 1:08 pm

Of course! Perfection is an illusion. But you’ve weathered all storms together and have a profound relationship as a result. That’s wonderful and I wish you the best as you continue to set a great example for your kids on what a real marriage is. 🙂

13. Michelle Styles May 18, 2015 / 11:11 am

Sounds like a real keeper. I’m very happy for you enjoy your special day and may you be blessed with many many more.

14. dyane May 18, 2015 / 11:11 am

Happy Anniversary, dear friend! I forgot to tell you yesterday this is also my only sibling’s birthday – it’s a special day! From now on, I’ll always consider May 18th as being twice as special.

I LOVE the photo of you in Tahoe & your dress is gorgeous.
    Have a wonderful celebration!!!!

XOXOXOXOX