Taking a Step Forward

Took a Step Forward Today

Today I took a step forward. I went to my psychiatrist. He adjusted my medications, putting me back on a low dose of escitalopram. Monday, we see a psychologist with our son to get some coaching on negotiating our battles and setting some reasonable boundaries.

Called NAMI Orange County’s Warm Line and briefly talked to a mentor. Looked into going to Orange County’s Wellness Center, which offers all kinds of support and activities, but I’m just not up to making the twenty-mile drive to the City of Orange. Maybe tomorrow I will actually drive up to The Wellness Center – then again, maybe not. I actually think that I may be sick, physically ill, which is exacerbating my depressive symptoms.

Yesterday I both called and emailed Saddleback Church, which offers support groups and is very close to my home. The main problem I have with Saddleback is that I’m very liberal – theologically liberal, socially liberal, and politically liberal. Saddleback is not.

Just got a call from the nurse’s office at my son’s school. Had to go and get him. He has a headache and feels sick, nauseated. Honestly, I feel pretty run down myself. And, so it goes…

Taking it one step at a time.

41 thoughts on “Taking a Step Forward

1. blahpolar May 23, 2015 / 12:45 pm

I read your previous posts and your blog comments (on my blog) have been worrying me lately. I’m very glad indeed to read this post and I feel proud of you. You seem to be adopting a methodical approach to things and by the looks of it, it’s working. I refer to that process as plodding – for myself, that is. One foot in from of the other, one minute at a time.

• Kitt O'Malley May 24, 2015 / 11:51 am

Yes, plodding it is, or can be. I feel better now than I did earlier last week. Thank you for your concern. I appreciate it.

• Kitt O'Malley May 22, 2015 / 10:39 am

Me, too. I have to pick him up from school two days in a row. Today, I have a nasty sinus headache. Argh!

2. e May 21, 2015 / 10:25 pm

Thought about you today with all the weather changes. Proud of you.

3. writerwannabe763 May 21, 2015 / 3:41 pm

Hi Kitt, just because you’re ‘liberal’ in your opinions etc. doesn’t mean that others aren’t also… There are probably many who differ, but with it being a support group I would think there is kind of an acceptance for the variations and the differences not emphasized … just a thought Diane

• Kitt O'Malley May 21, 2015 / 4:51 pm

You are no doubt right, Diane. I used to go to the Roman Catholic Church even though I disagreed with them on many issues. Turns out their support group for bipolar disorder doesn’t start it’s next series until the fall. They referred me to NAMI & DBSA, which are great organizations. We’ll see. For now, I had lunch with one friend and will have dinner with another. The woman I’m having dinner with tonight is a member of the United Methodist church I last regularly attended. She also has bipolar disorder and a challenging teen son. We have a lot in common.

• writerwannabe763 May 21, 2015 / 6:11 pm

I think it’s good that you’re investigating your options, and so hope that if you choose one of them… it really is helpful… Diane

4. jamilouise May 21, 2015 / 9:29 am

🙂 Love to you…. Paisley kisses…… Dy will fill you in if you don’t understand 🙂

5. Sandy Sue May 21, 2015 / 5:18 am

Big steps today, Kitt. Taking action, any action, starts a momentum. Seeing that you have services that could be used is enough to start that. You know that a change in meds will goof you up for a while, so keep being gentle with yourself. Saddleback sounds like it would irritate and upset rather than soothe.

• Kitt O'Malley May 21, 2015 / 3:54 pm

They sent me an email brush off, referring me to NAMI & DBSA.

6. bpnurse May 20, 2015 / 4:26 pm

Sometimes life just doesn’t play well with others. Sorry you’re going through a time like that. Feel better soon!

• Kitt O'Malley May 21, 2015 / 3:53 pm

Yes. Sometimes, cocooning is in order. Sometimes I must focus on myself and my family. Unfortunately, it’s been that way for a while, and it’s hard.

7. emmagc75 May 20, 2015 / 2:32 pm

I’m happy you took a step forward. I know some days I can and some days I’m just not able to. So when I have the energy I do as much as possible lol.

8. nananoyz May 20, 2015 / 1:50 pm

I hope you feel better physically soon. The 20 mile drive might be worth making when you’re well. Saddleback doesn’t sound like a good fit. Hugs!

• Kitt O'Malley May 21, 2015 / 3:42 pm

They actually emailed me suggesting I go to a NAMI or DBSA meeting. So, they basically already let me know that I’m not welcome.

9. dyane May 20, 2015 / 1:20 pm

I’m proud of you for being proactive for your safe as well as for your son.
    I’m inspired by your strength during this sh*tstorm.

Sending you love – you’ll be in my thoughts every day!
    Xo
    Dy

• Marie Abanga May 21, 2015 / 7:29 am

Whatever season this is, I join Dy in her prayers and I hope it comes to pass pretty quick. I have also been going through mixed periods and for four days just leaving my bed and room require tremendous energy. One step at a time, even the tinnest, is definitely the way to go dear. Wishing us all loads 🙂

• Kitt O'Malley May 21, 2015 / 3:57 pm

I am sorry to hear that you are going through a mixed state. That is challenging and can be physically exhausting. I pray that your health improves and that your mood stabilizes, Marie.

10. Cherokee Doll May 20, 2015 / 1:19 pm

Sometimes the smallest things represent the biggest steps of all. I am glad to hear you were able to move forward. It can be so hard sometimes to do the things we know we should, and want to do. ❤