Prayer for Healing

Prayer for Healing text on top of stone beach with waves in background

My son has been sick WAY TOO MUCH this year. He is sick again, this time only with a cold virus, but resulting in another school absence. This year seems to be a record year for pollen and viruses. Add to that the stress of beginning high school with a challenging course load and a death in the family, depression and a weakened immune system seems to be the result.

My son also suffers from chronic migraines – another burden no child, teen, or adult should have. I’m having trouble relaxing, for I’m worried, which doesn’t help much. Anyway, Monday we’re visiting a highly recommended pediatric gastroenterologist from Children’s Hospital to address whatever harm his lifetime of gastrointestinal migraines and recurrent bouts of stomach flu have had on his GI tract.

To address my anxiety, I searched healing prayers and found these by Rabbi Naomi Levy at Prayer and Healing: Prayers for Strength, Healing, and Coping With Life’s Challenges©Helpguide.org

Prayer and faith can help us welcome God’s healing power

It is natural to be frightened when we become ill. We feel vulnerable. We worry; we want to know that everything will turn out all right. We sometimes feel alone even when loved ones are by our side. The illness lies within us, and no one else knows exactly how we feel. Prayer has the power to transform our fear into faith. It reminds us that we are never alone. Everything we are, body and soul, is in the hand of God, whose presence fills the universe and who is as close to us as our own breath. No matter what this unpredictable world sends our way, with God by our side we can find the strength to confront our fears. So pray and welcome God’s healing power.

A blessing for healing (for physical and spiritual healing that can be said with the laying on of hands)

May God heal your body and soul.
May your pain cease,
May your strength increase
May your fears be released,
May blessings, love, and joy surround you.
Amen.

A prayer of thanks for healing

I thought you had forgotten me, I felt abandoned and alone. I prayed to You, but You never answered. I searched, but I couldn’t find You. And then, without warning, You spread Your love over me and taught me not to fear. You quieted me, You healed me, You blessed me, You stretch Your comfort over all living things.

Thank You, God, for giving me life and for saving my life. Amen.

via Prayer and Healing: Prayers for Strength, Healing, and Coping With Life’s Challenges©Helpguide.org

57 thoughts on “Prayer for Healing

1. bpnurse May 30, 2015 / 7:00 pm

Prayers for both of you. As bad as it is to go through something like this ourselves, it’s the most helpless feeling in the world to watch our child suffer. May he find healing soon!

2. annepm2015 May 30, 2015 / 4:59 pm

I would also suggest (only a suggestion) taking your son to a neurologist. Five years ago that is what happened to me. My immune system weakened so that I developed LEMS. If he is under stress, definitely. Also, make sure they do the right test – electromagnetic besides blood tests. That is how they finally diagnosed mine. The doctors didn’t do the correct test the first time. I hope this helps and your son has a quick recovery. He and you will remain in my prayers. Anne 🙂

• Kitt O'Malley May 31, 2015 / 11:09 am

He is seeing a pediatric neurologist, as well, for migraines. We’ve been through a gauntlet of specialists.

I am so sorry you developed LEMS. I looked it up: Lambert Eaton Myasthenic Syndrome (LEMS) is an autoimmune neuromuscular disorder affecting the presynaptic neuromuscular junction. (For other readers, obviously, you know what it is.)

3. Just Plain Ol' Vic May 30, 2015 / 4:35 pm

Sending warm wishes your way! Take care!

4. stockdalewolfe May 30, 2015 / 4:16 pm

You and your son are in my prayers always and on the Reiki list for Friday AMs around 9 or 9:30 EDT. I do hope this new doctor will be able to assess the situation and help. Again I say how sorry I am he has migraines because he is so young. I have two or three a week and it totally messes up my life. God bless you all! xxoo ellen

• Kitt O'Malley May 30, 2015 / 4:38 pm

Thank you, Ellen. I appreciate the prayers. So sorry that you have migraines so often. They are horrible.

5. The Person Next to You May 30, 2015 / 3:44 pm

I hope they figure out what is going on with your kiddo. I know how hard it is to feel helpless when they have a chronic health issue going on. Prayers for an answer!

• Kitt O'Malley May 30, 2015 / 3:51 pm

Thank you. Unfortunately, his migraines are genetic, as are his allergies. At least he’s smart and good looking!

• The Person Next to You May 30, 2015 / 3:53 pm

I have migraines, too. I have modified my diet and I am using essential oils, and it helps a lot. I used to have several migraines a month, and now I may have none or one. It is an awful way to live.

• Kitt O'Malley May 30, 2015 / 4:38 pm

When we tried an elimination diet, his migraines were not changed. His triggers are noise, sun, dehydration, stress, and exhaustion. He also has allergies to dust and pollen, which don’t help. He keeps himself hydrated, but cannot control noises at school. PE is hard for him, for he gets sinus headaches and asthma attacks.

• Kitt O'Malley May 31, 2015 / 11:13 am

He has migraines (gastrointestinal and headache migraines), allergies, asthma, eczema, GERD, and a weak immune system. Basically, his allergies and asthma make him more susceptible to contagious illnesses. We are seeing the GI specialist to see what damage a lifetime of vomiting has had on his GI tract.

• The Person Next to You May 31, 2015 / 1:36 pm

Wow… my dad has Eosinophilic Esophagitis, and his allergies make it even worse. All the symptoms you describe except the headache. It took years to get a proper diagnosis. I hope your boy feels better soon.

• Kitt O'Malley May 31, 2015 / 2:24 pm

Well, we will see what the pediatric gastroenterologist has to say.

6. kbailey374 May 30, 2015 / 3:41 pm

I love that last prayer, it reminds me of a psalm I have read. You are both in my thoughts and prayers. xo

7. Indah Susanti May 30, 2015 / 3:13 pm

I am so sorry to hear this Kitt. I hope the pediatric visit will bring positive news to your son health. Best wishes and stay strong!

• Kitt O'Malley May 30, 2015 / 3:44 pm

Thank you, Indah. My son has suffered from migraines his whole life, since he was a toddler. Hopefully, he will outgrow them.

8. Thinking of you and your son with love and hopes that Monday’s appointment goes as well as possible. I’m so proud of you for addressing your anxiety and finding beautiful prayers and images to share with us all. let us know how Monday goes – you’ll be in our thoughts… XOXOXO