Chronic Illness is Chronic Illness is Chronic Illness

Sick Sad figure holding stomach

Chronic illness is chronic illness is chronic illness. I so wish that I had a magic wand that could make my son better, that would stop his migraines, asthma, eczema, allergies, depression, anxiety, GERD, and stop him from getting every single virus that comes to town. But, I simply cannot. I’ve taken him to numerous specialists ever since he was very young, and he still gets sick A LOT. I get tired of people expecting me to find some magic potion, simple answer or a cure. There is NONE. We treat, we manage, we medicate, but he remains sensitive. Tried acupuncture. He was not a fan. Tried psychotherapy over the years. He doesn’t find it helpful. I am exhausted. Truly exhausted.

22 thoughts on “Chronic Illness is Chronic Illness is Chronic Illness

1. Angie Mc June 8, 2015 / 8:43 am

Kitt, you hit on a very important point here. When did parents become miracle and magic makers? Managers, yes. Doing out best, yes. Distillers of perfection into the world, no. Just no. I hear you.

• Kitt O'Malley June 8, 2015 / 9:14 am

Exactly. We do the best we can. We cannot fix everything. We cannot control everything.

• Angie Mc June 8, 2015 / 12:16 pm

And those who lay such expectations of perfection upon parents don’t help. Just a few generations ago there wasn’t this kind of weird pressure. I’m all into parental responsibility, but perfection? No.

2. e June 6, 2015 / 6:32 pm

Continued prayers for strength for you and your family🙏🙏🏽🙏🏼

3. J.C. Hannigan June 6, 2015 / 2:02 pm

Hang in there Kitt! Huge hugs. I know how frustrating it is to keep grasping at straws. xoxo

• Kitt O'Malley June 6, 2015 / 3:57 pm

Thank you, JC. I know you know what it’s like to battle a chronic illness.

4. vanbytheriver June 6, 2015 / 2:12 am

If you ever find that magic wand, Kitt, please share. I understand the frustration. Take care of yourself in the process..an important reminder. 💕 Van

5. dyane June 5, 2015 / 7:11 pm

You know I adore you….sorry not to ask about the Monday dr. appt. – You’re in my thoughts often and I’ll say a special “agnostic” prayer for you tonight. You are a loving, magnificent mother doing all you can to care for your son!

• Kitt O'Malley June 5, 2015 / 8:52 pm

The appointment was just an initial history. Endoscopy to follow (not yet scheduled, waiting for scheduling call). Then follow up. Do not expect radically new information, checking for damage.

• Kitt O'Malley June 5, 2015 / 8:50 pm

Well, the summer and fall tend to be better than the winter and this spring, so we’ll see…

6. Just Plain Ol' Vic June 5, 2015 / 6:56 pm

I feel for you Kitt! Hang in there!

7. stockdalewolfe June 5, 2015 / 6:31 pm

I am so sorry, Kitt. I know how worrisome and difficult it can be. You all remain in my prayers and Reiki. Hugs, Ellen