Blocked, But Why?

June 2015 I wrote this post. I no longer notice when or if I’m blocked or unfriended on social media. Perhaps I no longer inundate others with content (perhaps I still do, it’s subjective). As I’m not as active online and as my focus is not just on my self, I’ve gained some new readers and lost others.

Twitter logo of white bird on blue background. Safety @safety - You are blocked from following @safety and viewing @safety's tweets. Learn more

Yesterday I found that someone blocked me on Twitter, and I didn’t know why. It hurt and reminded me of someone else blocking me on Twitter and of yet another person who unfriended me on Facebook and actually informed me that she had done so (why, I have no idea, she didn’t say). The bottom line is: My feelings are hurt. I wonder what I did wrong. I wonder if I did something to injure the other person. I know I post A LOT. Profuse posting can overwhelm others, burying them under a barrage of tweets, posts, and links to follow. I am bipolar after all, so my hypomanic activity is partly symptomatic. I’m passionate, as well, and feel compelled to share great content over social media. In addition, I realize that medication and psychotherapy has helped me, so that someone medication-resistant may not find me a helpful support. Still, it hurts.

112 thoughts on “Blocked, But Why?

1. cherished79 June 25, 2015 / 3:07 am

I know how you feel, I received hurtful comments on a twitter post. Perhaps the title of my post on WP could have used better wording, the comments were nasty, appears they didn’t even look at my blog and just passed judgement. I actually googled “when someone criticizes your writing”,and most of the replies were: “Not everyone is going to like what you post or write and there’s not much you can do about it, and that was a comment from an author who was recognized in the New York Times. Some said his book was ‘complete trash, and how did he ever become a published author”, another said his book was only worth .99 cents.

Still it’s hard to be blocked and unfollowed. Great post.

2. nightcactus June 22, 2015 / 6:34 am

I also think letting go is the best thing to do whenever being unfriended. It hurts but after all, maybe you should not care too much about people who don’t wish to stay your friend.

• Kitt O'Malley June 22, 2015 / 10:25 am

Yes. Without a doubt. Letting go is an important skill, an exercise in self love.

3. My bipolar journey June 21, 2015 / 3:18 am

Yeah it hurts but after that, I typical realize it’s for the better.. If they can’t handle it that’s on them not you and ultimately it’s their choice. Regardless of the hurt..I say you’re better off. 🙂

• TradeRoutz livingStyle July 1, 2015 / 5:20 am

You know kitt, these people who’ve blocked you, don’t have much intellect and you are probs a threat to them. Take inspiration from the genius bipolars before you who had few friends due to misunderstanding .

• Kitt O'Malley July 1, 2015 / 10:50 am

Thanks. But, I bet that’s not actually the reason. I may have offended someone with my liberal views or may have just posted too much and overwhelmed them with content. You never know.

4. bipolarsojourner June 16, 2015 / 4:15 pm

kitt,

it always suck wen someone “leaves” you. who said it your fault? there is a saying in recovery, something that someone says or does is nor a reflection on what you say or did, but a reflection on where they are.

nice words that i even remember to apply sometimes.

• Kitt O'Malley June 17, 2015 / 10:41 am

Exactly. Honestly, it may have been something they needed to do. It doesn’t really bother me that much now. But, I did feel a twinge at the time. Sensitive to rejection. Reminds me of a closed door or two in real life. Friends lost.

• bipolarsojourner June 17, 2015 / 11:01 am

sensitive to rejection? i’ve heard about people like that. that must be though.

(btw, it’s a family tradition to take a trait that i have, make it sound like other people surely must struggle with that trait, and also imply that i surely don’t struggle with that trait.)

5. SeasonedSistah2 June 16, 2015 / 1:05 pm

I have a close family member with a recent bipolar diagnosis; and, I appreciate the helpful information you have shared. While some may have a problem, there are people like me, the uninformed, who benefit from what you post. Thank you.

• Kitt O'Malley June 16, 2015 / 2:02 pm

Thank you. Your family member is blessed to have you, blessed to have a relative caring enough to learn more about bipolar disorder. NAMI.org offers wonderful support and information for family members of those with mental illness. i highly recommend the organization and their website. They have local affiliates across the US.

6. Indah Susanti June 15, 2015 / 6:26 am

I am sorry to hear this Kitt. It is indeed hurts when someone block or unfriend or unfollow us. That’s the downside of social media, I guess. The rejections become too transparent. I was unfriend and unfollow in some social media. Don’t be sad, you still have many who care about you 🙂

• Indah Susanti June 15, 2015 / 6:29 am

Sorry about my English on “I was unfriend and unfollow in some social media.” – I meant I had similar situation when certain people were unfriend and unfollow me…

• Kitt O'Malley June 15, 2015 / 10:38 am

Don’t worry about grammar or verb conjugation. I understood.

• Kitt O'Malley June 15, 2015 / 10:37 am

I can’t even imagine why anyone would unfriend or unfollow you, Indah. Your photography is absolutely breathtaking.

7. Ann Roselle June 14, 2015 / 4:35 pm

Wow. I have learned so much reading these comments starting with learning not to take it personally when I get unfollowed. (Easier said than done). I also didn’t realized that posting links I believe contain useful knowledge could be construed as spam! I see far spammier behavior occurring everyday and it would never occur to me to unfollow and/or mute someone as that takes far too much energy. I also happen to believe the advocacy community is small, and while we don’t all have to agree with each other; each voice is important and we can all teach each other. It’s important to stand together and use our collective voices in support and solidarity.

• Kitt O'Malley June 14, 2015 / 7:37 pm

I agree with you, Ann. We should stand together in mutual support and solidarity.

8. Ann Roselle June 14, 2015 / 3:04 pm

Wow. I’ve learned so much by reading these comments. Im going to stop taking my own unfollowing so personally for starters. And I had no idea that sharing links which I considered to be useful or helpful information is a form of spam. There is a lot more spammy behavior I see going on personally and I would never unfollow or mute over – life is too short to get that riled up! Honestly, the advocacy community is small and I think there is room for all our differing viewpoints, we can help each other grow and learn as individuals; and most importantly we should support each other. Peace! Xoxo

• Jim Buchanan June 14, 2015 / 4:09 pm

On Twitter most of what I share is links to things I find interesting, people don’t seem to see it as spam. I hope.

• Kitt O'Malley June 14, 2015 / 7:36 pm

That’s what I use Twitter for, too. Some people use Twitter to chat. I don’t so much.

• Kitt O'Malley June 14, 2015 / 7:35 pm

Yes. Personally, I do not consider sharing links spam. That’s what the share buttons are for.

• cherished79 June 25, 2015 / 11:29 am

As long as you know what you have written and what you intended to express is really the main purpose. Someone on my blog blasted me for not knowing enough info on a subject and shouldn’t post unless I was more informed, however, I was simply just posting an article not written by me. If the person had read it carefully he would have known that it was not written by me, and the purpose of my blog is to educate which would include outside articles.

Too quick to judge, yet not important enough to have me stew over it.

• cherished79 June 25, 2015 / 11:36 am

I read your post and that brought back memories with a friend also. She just stopped all contact with me; did I piss her off? Was I too much of a burden when I was ill? I don’t know what I did. But then I remembered, while we were friends, she did that to another friend of hers; just cut her off, so perhaps I didn’t do anything, it was her with the problem. That was two years ago and have never talked to her since.

Sorry you had to go through that with your friends, it still hurts.

• Kitt O'Malley June 25, 2015 / 2:02 pm

I believe this happens with everyone. For those of us with bipolar disorder, we wonder if it was due to our behavior or to our illness. Sometimes, perhaps it does. Sometimes, it does not. Not all friendships live on.

• Jim Buchanan June 25, 2015 / 2:40 pm

Sorry it happened to you too, cherished79. I have wondered if it was due to my bipolar, but it’s just so hard to know. In the end I don’t think it was a healthy friendship anyway, so…

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )