Blocked, But Why?

June 2015 I wrote this post. I no longer notice when or if I’m blocked or unfriended on social media. Perhaps I no longer inundate others with content (perhaps I still do, it’s subjective). As I’m not as active online and as my focus is not just on my self, I’ve gained some new readers and lost others.

Twitter logo of white bird on blue background. Safety @safety - You are blocked from following @safety and viewing @safety's tweets. Learn more

Yesterday I found that someone blocked me on Twitter, and I didn’t know why. It hurt and reminded me of someone else blocking me on Twitter and of yet another person who unfriended me on Facebook and actually informed me that she had done so (why, I have no idea, she didn’t say). The bottom line is: My feelings are hurt. I wonder what I did wrong. I wonder if I did something to injure the other person. I know I post A LOT. Profuse posting can overwhelm others, burying them under a barrage of tweets, posts, and links to follow. I am bipolar after all, so my hypomanic activity is partly symptomatic. I’m passionate, as well, and feel compelled to share great content over social media. In addition, I realize that medication and psychotherapy has helped me, so that someone medication-resistant may not find me a helpful support. Still, it hurts.

112 thoughts on “Blocked, But Why?

• Kitt O'Malley June 13, 2015 / 7:24 pm

I suppose it doesn’t, but I believe feeling rejected is normal. I know that I cannot please everyone, nor should I.

1. Just Plain Ol' Vic June 13, 2015 / 5:44 pm

You have so many other people that support and follow you, so I wouldn’t worry about it that much.

I have to admit that there are a few on WordPress that I stopped following due to the sheer amount of posting (mainly re-posting) that they did. I was just inundated with too much and I couldn’t follow all those posts AND everyone else’s. It wasn’t personal, just something I had to do.

So hopefully you will be able to move on quickly and focus on what is important.

• Kitt O'Malley June 13, 2015 / 7:22 pm

I’ve stopped actively following most blogs because I simply so not have the time to keep up. But I still technically follow them. I use lists on WordPress to focus on a subset of blogs.

• gentlekindness June 14, 2015 / 1:02 am

yes I do this too. You can always read and comment.
        Maybe one problem is that WordPress is set up better in some ways. Although once in a while I would like to stop someone from reblogging my posts. Actually just one person. Can I do that? This person is practically stalking me. They have a blog that is supposed to be mental health awareness and disabilities awareness.
        They write nothing of their own.

They have been reblogging every single one of my posts, with few exceptions. There was a recent 48 hour period where they reblogged about 15 of my posts.

This included posts that had nothing to do with mental health at all. They were just personal posts like, I am sick with the flu and I baked a cake with my daughter today.

Also all poetry from my poetry blog. And posts from my Domestic Abuse blog Videos and memes too that they receive the like on because there is no need to View Original. The same goes for the poetry.

Why would they want to reblog my personal posts that were meant for my readers. They are not appropriate on someone else’s mental health awareness blog??

I am sorry to vent but I am almost afraid of what I write now because I know this person will reblog it. Alsl much of the time, they reblog within minutes of my posting it.I feel like I am being watched by a stalker as I eat dinner at a restaurant and then receive a call “Annie, I thought you did not like that restaurant”

Because I have been stalked it is triggering. But isnt there something wrong with someone reblogging everything you post ? And is there any recourse? I tres removing the reblog button for a few hours but they found a way to reblog them anyway….so creepy

ANnie

• joelsax47 June 14, 2015 / 2:32 am

That is truly odd and disturbing, Annie, I have had my share of online stalkers, but nothing like this.

I have not been able to locate any plugin for you that will block such activity, I am able to do it because I own my site and can block people in the OS, But if you are interested, I will look a little more to see what can be done.

• Kitt O'Malley June 14, 2015 / 11:20 am

Annie’s situation is extreme. If you could help her that would be great, Joel. Thanks.

• Kitt O'Malley June 14, 2015 / 11:29 am

Joel, WordPress Reader won’t let me add your blog. How can I subscribe to updates?

• dyane June 14, 2015 / 6:21 am

This is beyond acceptable – see what Joel says (I trust him!) and go from there….personally I’d complain to WordPress! good luck with this!!!

• joelsax47 June 14, 2015 / 6:09 pm

I’ve done more research. There are several programs that let you ban unwanted traffic to your site. The most highly rated appears to be WP-Ban. Add it as a plug-in.

• Kitt O'Malley June 14, 2015 / 7:45 pm

For those of us using WordPress.com rather than WordPress.org, we cannot add outside plug-ins.

2. Bipolarbrainiac June 13, 2015 / 5:35 pm

Rejection is my middle name. It started when I was young. I lived in a rural area and was separated from other kids and activities. One time this girl promised that her Mother would pick me up and take me to a “Young Life” Christian meeting and she didnt’ show up or call afterwards and when I ran into her in the halls of the high school, she’d pretend not to see me. This “No show no call” business is my Achilles heel, and I try not to inflict this behavior on other people.

Cases in point: I attend a local “drop in” arts centered behavioral health center. For five years I volunteered for them, developed well attended support groups that are still running today and then I developed Tardive Dyskinesia from Geodon (atypical antipsychotic) I had to greatly reduce the amount of this type of medication to avoid the Parkinon’s like thrashing and shaking. So maybe I’m more fragile than before, more mood swings? More sensitive? Anyway, they don’t think I’m healthy enough to volunteer. “Not stable enough” is how they put it. In the meantime, a volunteer ran into me in the parking lot (he’s an older, lecherous, lonely guy) and he handed me a 100 ct bottle of narcotic painkillers hidden by a Wall Street journal. He’s a ‘volunteer.’ Then he calls me up and tells me the CIA is hunting him down and bugging his phones. Stable? I did not turn him in. Another ‘volunteer’ was supposed to do computer work for me and I had one appointment with her, but she did not show up or call for appointment two or three. She’s stable enough to volunteer, and it’s supposed to be OK with me that she didn’t show up or call for professional work. She didn’t show up to facilitate her “bipolar support” meeting either, but they let that fly. But me, they won’t allow to rejoin the ranks. Some people just don’t ‘get’ me and don’t want anything to do with me.

• Kitt O'Malley June 13, 2015 / 7:21 pm

So sorry you experienced this type of rejection in your life. So painful. Terrible that that volunteer offered you a narcotic. Illegal, irresponsible, reprehensible really. Our health requires that we take good care of ourselves.

3. jesusfreakusa June 13, 2015 / 3:53 pm

Don’t fret. I just deleted my original twitter page. I had fake followers and so many. It got annoying, so I decide to restart.

4. stockdalewolfe June 13, 2015 / 3:42 pm

Oh, Kitt, with all your activity on so many networks, you’re bound to get something like this even if every post and tweet were perfect. Lots of people out there have lots of issues. I know it hurts– had an issue myself with someone. One of the hazards of the job. We love you. Try to forget about it.

• Kitt O'Malley June 13, 2015 / 7:12 pm

Thank you so much, Ellen. I really am thankful to have friends like you.

5. bpnurse June 13, 2015 / 3:00 pm

I had someone block me on FB a few years back, and she informed me that she was doing it but didn’t give me a reason. We were not close friends but I couldn’t imagine how I could’ve offended her. Maybe I didn’t. I’ll never know. It pissed me off though. I’ve been over it for a long time, but I think she at least owed me an excellent explanation.

• Kitt O'Malley June 13, 2015 / 3:40 pm

It is strange when someone informs you that they are unfriending you but doesn’t say why.

6. gertiesjourney June 13, 2015 / 2:30 pm

I understand about being blocked. I haven’t been blocked on twitter than I am aware of but have been blocked from people on Facebook. I was blocked because of someone else’s behavior and it sucks.

• Kitt O'Malley June 13, 2015 / 3:39 pm

Gertie, you’ve been far worse than blocked. You’ve been out and out abused on Facebook. My heart goes out to you. What happened to you was an ongoing assault.

• gertiesjourney June 13, 2015 / 6:52 pm

It was because of that behavior of that one person, I got blocked from other peoples Facebook accounts.

• gertiesjourney June 14, 2015 / 6:46 pm

No worries!! I am unfortunately use to people cutting me out of their lives due to other peoples behavior. If it my behavior I understand but if it is other peoples behaviors then it deeply hurts because we have no control over other people.

• Kitt O'Malley June 14, 2015 / 7:46 pm

Good that you are able to put it into perspective, realize that it is not you, and not take it personally. You are an inspiration.

7. seaangel4444 June 13, 2015 / 2:27 pm

Kitt, I know how you feel. I think people do many things that we can never understand, and here’s an example. I sent someone on twitter (a couple of months ago) one of my post photos of a sunrise that I had taken that day. I said something like, “Great sunrise this a.m. on Lake Michigan”. Not only did the person not reply, but they blocked me! Keep being YOU my dear and try to ignore those that we will never understand. Big hugs, Cher xo

• seaangel4444 June 13, 2015 / 3:45 pm

It really was strange. But I wanted to share this with you just to show that it certainly isn’t you my dear or anything you said, etc. To be honest, at first when it happened to me I thought, what did I say? Well I only shared this photo which I do on twitter (I think this person is a travel writer if I am not mistaken). But the actions of this person spoke louder than his words (or blocking me) if that makes sense?

8. Running Elk June 13, 2015 / 2:16 pm

Did you get this report by email, or on twitter? Suspect anything coming by email.

Got one yesterday too which claimed that my account may be in danger of “being recycled” unless I logged in today. Knew this was spam only because my account lay dormant for about 4 years before I started using it again very recently.

That account is actually a twitter.com account which tweets about staying safe on twitter, with 2.47million followers – so unlikely that they would take the time to block anyone.

• Kitt O'Malley June 13, 2015 / 3:37 pm

On Twitter, directly. I was adding followers on #FF, and I was blocked by one of the tweeters.

9. Jim Buchanan June 13, 2015 / 2:16 pm

It does hurt, doesn’t it? As if unfollowing is not enough.

It happened to me last week and I don’t know why. I still post the same mix of mental health and progressive posts as always.

I guess I’m just letting you know you’re not alone and that I don’t get it either.

• Kitt O'Malley June 13, 2015 / 3:36 pm

Thank you, Jim. I appreciate it. I’m in good company.