ALPIM (Anxiety-Laxity-Pain-Immune-Mood)

FIGURE 7. The ALPIM Syndrome: A Neuropsychosomatic Spectrum Disorder. Schematic Venn diagram showing the hypothesized spectrum of comorbidity in patients having a core anxiety disorder with laxity, pain, immune, and mood disorders. The overlapping circles demonstrate that comorbidities exist along a spectrum, in which a patient might have anywhere from just one disorder under one domain to multiple disorders under multiple overlapping domains. ALPIM, anxiety, laxity, pain, immune, mood.

Thank you, Blahpolar Diaries, for informing me about ALPIM in her blog post nudge nudge link link. I tracked down the original SUNY press release, which I quote here.

In the study, published in the Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, the researchers proposed the existence of a spectrum syndrome comprising a core anxiety disorder and four related domains, for which they have coined the term ALPIM:

A = Anxiety disorder (mostly panic disorder);

L = Ligamentous laxity (joint hypermobility syndrome, scoliosis, double-jointedness, mitral valve prolapse, easy bruising);

P = Pain (fibromyalgia, migraine and chronic daily headache, irritable bowel syndrome, prostatitis/cystitis);

I = Immune disorders (hypothyroidism, asthma, nasal allergies, chronic fatigue syndrome); and

M = Mood disorders (major depression, Bipolar II and Bipolar III disorder, tachyphylaxis. Two thirds of patients in the study with mood disorder had diagnosable bipolar disorder and most of those patients had lost response to antidepressants).

Bipolar III is cyclothymia, a “milder” form of bipolar than bipolar II.

Should you want to read the journal article, I purchased the pdf version: A Novel Anxiety and Affective Spectrum Disorder of Mind and Body—The ALPIM (Anxiety-Laxity-Pain-Immune-Mood) Syndrome: A Preliminary Report (J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2015 Spring;27(2):93-103. doi: 10.1176/appi.neuropsych.14060132). No copyright infringement intended.

12 thoughts on “ALPIM (Anxiety-Laxity-Pain-Immune-Mood)

1. Billy September 3, 2015 / 10:51 am

Very interesting! I had indeed come across some papers speculating on the relationship between joint hypermbolity and depression. Thank you for pointing it out. I hope they carry on researching it.

• Kitt O'Malley September 3, 2015 / 12:06 pm

Me, too. We are only just beginning to understand the complex human body. Medicine has so much to learn.

2. Sandy Sue July 14, 2015 / 3:35 am

It’s always affirming to have what we already know “discovered” by research. The article doesn’t seem to offer any treatment (I only skimmed it). Still…

• Kitt O'Malley July 14, 2015 / 11:32 am

Unfortunately, you are right. I’m desperate for answers, as my men (my husband and son) are suffering!

• Cathy November 5, 2016 / 6:33 pm

Well, there won’t be treatment in the near future as in a pill or something . ( well you never know so we can at least hope ) But the interesting thing to me is the implied genetic connections among these seemingly separate issues. I have long noted that mostly everyone I meet with fibromyalgia has a history of at least depression and often headaches as well as anxiety, etc. The laxity of joints is really very very interesting. But it seems to really cement the genetic theme and thus no pill in the near future is likely imo. I will follow this as more info comes out. I mentioned it to my pcp just today.

• Kitt O'Malley November 6, 2016 / 7:00 pm

Not as simple as a pill. Future of medicine may be targeting th genome

3. dyane July 13, 2015 / 5:56 pm

This ALPIM syndrome….all I can say is that it sounds awful, but knowledge is power when it comes to these maladies. I’m very glad you researched it and that you’re sharing such cutting -edge information with us!!

• Kitt O'Malley July 13, 2015 / 6:15 pm

Blahpolar found it first. I just went deeper. Sounds like what my son & husband may have, actually.