Have I Lost My Blogging Friends?

Have I Lost My Blogging Friends?

So I’ve been busy, much busier than usual, in my real life, interacting with people in the flesh, which overstimulates me, so I haven’t been reading and commenting on other blog posts like I usually do, like I used to do.

The posts I published Wednesday received few comments. I wonder, is it because I have let down my online community of mutually supportive readers by not reading and commenting on their posts? Or, is it because my posts were not personal or particularly original in nature — just a rehash of a conference I attended Friday and Saturday and a repost of a TIME, Inc. infographic about why we still need Women’s Equality Day ? Perhaps my last post was simply too long (and boring, I now realize in going back and reading it).

I’ve been feeling guilty for not reading and commenting as much on other blogs, but I can only do so much, and taking care of myself comes first. I respond to comments on my blog. But, there are simply too many other blogs to read them all. I’m not even reading those with whom I’ve developed close online friendships.

Writing helps me. Consuming seemingly endless numbers of mental health posts, commenting on them and sharing them, unfortunately, does not. Perhaps doing so helps others, just not me. Not when I’m too overwhelmed. Not when I’m doing my best to slow down.

By the way, did some more in person volunteering. Once again trying to figure this one out. How much in-person social interaction and volunteering I can take on without spinning like a hypomanic top.

132 thoughts on “Have I Lost My Blogging Friends?

1. Robert Matthew Goldstein July 25, 2016 / 3:07 pm

When I don’t comment it’s usually because I’m overwhelmed. I realized today that I can’t keep up with my blog AND Facebook. I like Facebook but it’s not as fulfilling as my blog.

2. Shrewed Up September 12, 2015 / 6:11 am

Still here Miss Kitt! Just a little delayed on keeping up with my reading and commenting as well! Big hugs!

3. TradeRoutz livingStyle September 1, 2015 / 4:29 am

Kitt, you do need to look after yourself first. If you are tired rest. The thing about ‘online friends’ is that, even though you don’t actually sit down with them and have a cup of tea, they find out who you are through what you write about. So they automatically know that you are simply not ok when you have gaps in writing. Don’t sweat it, some people blog everyday, and THAT is intrinsically boring. LOL

• Kitt O'Malley September 1, 2015 / 8:20 pm

Thanks! Actually, sometimes the worse I’m doing, the more I write, at least if I’m hypomanic. There are times when I absolutely must write.

4. debiriley August 31, 2015 / 3:15 pm

hi Kitt, my traffic went way down the past weeks time as well. probably just a combo of summer, school, other stuff, how wordpress is going currently… etc! I try to look at how things are stacking up month by month, to get a more even overview on whats going on. but, I agree its like “WHAT!” when no one comments for days… 🙂

5. wendy August 29, 2015 / 8:42 pm

I haven’t been around in a long time that doesn’t mean you lost me…I haven’t blogged much. Have been sick. Sick of being sick. Depressed. I read more of your post than I comment…I’m proud of how far you have come.

• Kitt O'Malley August 30, 2015 / 1:10 pm

Sick of being sick. Doesn’t that say it ALL! Most of us living with mental illness are. For many of us, even when we do everything right – take our meds, go to therapy, exercise (actually, I don’t do that), sleep – we still suffer.

No need to feel any obligation to comment. I was just venting and feeling insecure.

6. HK Abell August 29, 2015 / 6:51 am

I get the same way — overwhelmed — and I just shut down. I think it is very difficult for someone with anxiety and depression take in so much stimulus.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )