Online High School

Online High School. An Experiment. Please Wish Us Well.

My son struggles with multiple health issues: migraines, cyclic vomiting, weak immune system, allergies, eczema, depression, and anxiety. The newly defined spectrum syndrome ALPIM (Anxiety-Laxity-Pain-Immune-Mood) describes his constellation of symptoms, but does not yet give us answers as to how to cure or treat the underlying genetic disorder.

Monday, August 31st would have been my son’s first day back to high school after summer vacation. Unfortunately, he was unable to get out of bed to start the school year. He spent last Sunday night and early Monday morning vomiting. No doubt he is stressed out. He said he was worried about throwing up at school. He was probably stressed out about making up his incompletes from last semester. At the end of the school year he was sick and missed taking his finals and completing missed assignments.

I gave my son the option of enrolling in an online high school program, which he chose to do Monday morning as I tried to wake him for school. So last Monday I enrolled him in a k12.com school, California Prep Academy San Diego. My new job is to be his “learning coach,” supervising his progress. We’ll see how that goes. It’s an ongoing process for the two of us.

30 thoughts on “Online High School

1. Billy September 21, 2015 / 9:42 am

Disregard my other comment, I understand now! It’s so cool that you have the option, and it sounds like a great possibility for your son. Good luck with it, hope it helps him feel better!

2. loriberns September 11, 2015 / 1:39 pm

I am sure it will go well. It would be difficult for me to homeschool. I have trouble helping with homework.

• Kitt O'Malley September 11, 2015 / 2:33 pm

I don’t consider it homeschooling, even though it’s at home. He will have teachers and a mentor. I’m his “learning coach” – there to encourage more than teach. I do help him with writing, for he gets anxious when writing even though he writes well.

3. Gertie September 11, 2015 / 1:32 pm

The online school’s can be extremely helpful to students like your son who have health issues that prevent them from going to a “normal” school setting. For me it wouldn’t have worked.

4. metalflowermaker September 11, 2015 / 9:58 am

I’m with you Kitt in the same process. I signed my 16 year old up for the same online schooling program. There is the period of adjustment to the programs and the onboarding process, made my anxiety level go through the roof. My son however is very calm and positive about it. I will try to keep an eye on your experiences with it. I’ll try to post some of my experiences with it too. Im with K12 in Ohio.

• Kitt O'Malley September 11, 2015 / 11:09 am

Glad to hear that your son is calm and positive about it. My son is somewhat anxious, as he’s worried about how he’ll do without the structure. I’m anxious, as well. We haven’t yet received any curriculum. Last week he completed the digital literacy course to begin the enrollment process.

5. Sheri September 9, 2015 / 3:43 pm

I’m sure you and your son will have a much better experience than my daughter had. My daughter has borderline personality disorder, and although very smart, hated school. When we moved to a new state in her Senior year (bad mistake), I discovered we were not in the school district I thought we’d be in, and the high school was awful and dangerous. She enrolled in online HS, which turned out to be another bad mistake. Between my bipolar disorder and her inability to focus or listen to my encouragement, she ended up simply getting her GED. I applaud you for taking on this endeavor and doing whatever you can to help your son get an education.

• Kitt O'Malley September 10, 2015 / 1:06 pm

This may not work, either, but we’re giving it a try. To be honest, I’m nervous. Tuesday my son completed the introductory digital literacy course, and the school hasn’t yet enrolled him in any classes. If it doesn’t work, then we’ll go back to the drawing board.

• Sheri September 11, 2015 / 5:11 am

Good luck, it’s so hard (and heartbreaking) when we want the best for our child but it’s just not available to us.

6. choff777 September 7, 2015 / 5:34 pm

Dear Kitt,

Thank you for sharing your son’s difficult diagnosis and current struggles. I hope he finds relief staying home. And you as well.

X Jackie

7. Sheila North September 7, 2015 / 2:54 pm

Best wishes with this. Not heard of online schooling before, curious to see how it works out.

Btw, though this post is dated 31 August, it’s just turned up in my email inbox.

8. Tertia September 7, 2015 / 2:30 pm

Megan and I went through a very parallel situation. Though she now takes 2 classes on campus, I feel that getting off campus for a while was vital for her–the stress of worrying about being sick and pushing herself was taking so much out of her. I hope that your son experiences some improvement of his symptoms as a result of lowering the stress. I worry about socialization too, but she can’t socialize if she’s sick, miserable, and down on herself for not being able to do the work. Good luck to you both!

• Kitt O'Malley September 7, 2015 / 8:26 pm

Thank you. I’m glad to hear that it helped your daughter. I do hope to reintroduce him to high school. I like that your daughter is now taking 2 classes on campus. Hopefully we can work toward a similar goal.

9. Anonymous September 7, 2015 / 1:43 pm

Good luck guys! I think it’s a great option but I’m sure there will be a learning curve so be kind to yourself.

10. Tessa September 7, 2015 / 1:09 pm

I have heard of the online schools for younger than college students. I hope it works out.

11. plaguedparents September 7, 2015 / 12:55 pm

I hope this solution brings a calm to your son and you! 🙂

• Kitt O'Malley September 7, 2015 / 12:57 pm

I hope so. I never believed in homeschooling or online schooling for only children because I believed that socializing with other kids is important, but it hasn’t been working in high school. He could get sick and miss school before and catch up. Now he cannot, and he seems more anxious.