Medication Mishaps

Hypomanic to Exhausted

This week I’ve been completely exhausted. Twice I forgot to take my mood stabilizer at night. The first time, I didn’t realize it until late the next afternoon – too late to take my missed dose. The next time I realized it the following morning and immediately took the previous night’s dose.

I became hypomanic due to the first error, publishing three (or more?) posts on Sunday. The second mishap compounds the first and explains why I feel like I’m dragging myself through molasses this week.

Although I’m physically exhausted, I cannot fall asleep without taking sleep meds, resorting to twice my prescribed dose (which my psychiatrist okayed in the past – it’s still a reasonable dose). When I’m stable I do not have to take meds to fall asleep.

Oh, and Friday my husband and I attended our next door neighbors’ daughter’s quinceañera, which was lovely, but probably threw me off. Social stimulation triggers my mood cycling.

53 thoughts on “Medication Mishaps

1. mythoughts62 October 2, 2015 / 1:33 pm

Hope you reach stability soon.

I’ve been hypomanic for about two weeks. The psych has doubled my Geodon, no change. We’ll see what he does next on Monday (or if I’m lucky today, but they’re not very responsive at my mental health center) I’ve been able to sleep, so I’ve been sleeping 10-12 hours a day, I think that’s damping it a bit, but the mania’s still going strong…

• Kitt O'Malley October 2, 2015 / 5:41 pm

Good that you are sleeping. That will keep the mania in check. Sorry to hear that your medical center is unresponsive.

2. nananoyz October 2, 2015 / 11:20 am

That’s rough! Occasionally I’ve forgotten to take my Effexor at bedtime. By the next afternoon I’m a blithering idiot. Finally I bought one of those little organizers and so far I’ve not had an issue with forgetting. It sits right on the bathroom counter so I have to reach over it to get to my toothbrush.
    Hope you feel better soon!

3. trentpmcd October 2, 2015 / 10:33 am

I hope it stabilizes itself soon and you have a better week coming up!

• Kitt O'Malley October 2, 2015 / 5:38 pm

Thanks! Next week is Mental Health Awareness Week and NAMIWalks Orange County and the Gathering for Mental Health and the Church. Big week.

4. mental mommy October 2, 2015 / 10:27 am

If I am pushed too far, no matter how tired I am, it almost always results in insomnia. Which perpetuates mania, then more insomia until I finally collapse. And this all happens without missing a dose of meds. My heart is with you during this cycle!

• Kitt O'Malley October 2, 2015 / 5:37 pm

Thank you. Cycling sucks. Mood cycling, that is. Bicycling can be quite enjoyable.

5. hirundine608 October 2, 2015 / 10:14 am

Hmmm, I hate relying on pills for my health. Something just doesn’t seem right, somehow? May it become right for you …! Cheers Jamie.

• Kitt O'Malley October 2, 2015 / 5:35 pm

Well, until medicine comes up with better treatment, I live best when medicated properly.

6. Leslie October 2, 2015 / 10:02 am

Erg I forgot to take the whole fistful one night this week. I’m usually pretty good though.

I, however, have the same problem with the sleeping. I’ll be laying down, completely exhausted, and be unable to sleep at all. My pdoc and therapist have both been working on it as sleep is that first cause to a downward slide.

I thought you posted a lot recently! 🙂

7. eloisedesousa October 2, 2015 / 9:54 am

Hope everything settles soon. How long will it take to go back to the status quo once the meds kick in?