Online School Didn’t Work Out

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. - Thomas A. Edison

Okay, so here’s where we are now. Online k12.com high school proved an unsuccessful experiment. My son prefers a teacher directly instruct him, rather than study independently for a series of online quizzes and tests. He needs feedback. He needs to discuss what he is learning, to ask questions and get answers, to be asked questions, to develop his critical reasoning skills.

So, last Friday we went and visited a private school that offers one-on-one attention and flexible scheduling. Once my son finishes one of the courses he is currently taking online, we plan to enroll him in the private school.

I believe in trying things out. If something doesn’t work, try something else.

Failure is always an option. Failure is necessary to learning.

17 thoughts on “Online School Didn’t Work Out

1. Laura P. Schulman, MD, MA November 22, 2015 / 2:11 pm

Good on ye for trying the online thing. It’s great that it helped him define what is helpful to him. If I tried to list all the different educational settings I travelled through in order to find the one that worked for my son, I’d be here for days. Two of them worked: a program for gifted kids through a public school, and a therapeutic boarding school. Before and between those, there were hoards of others. The good news is, he’s close to finishing his Ph.D program. Like Joe Nameth, he’s waiting for the last 30 seconds of the game to make an end run and score a post doc, but that’s always been his style so I’m not worried! I hope this school turns out to be the right one for your son.

• Kitt O'Malley November 22, 2015 / 9:55 pm

So far, so good. He seems to be more confident. Getting the individual attention is helpful. He has social anxiety and is shy. Got lost in large public school setting. Liked honors courses, but fell behind due to illnesses.

2. vanbytheriver October 27, 2015 / 10:55 am

Try anything. When it clicks for him, you’ll know it, and be glad you were flexible. ☺

• Kitt O'Malley October 27, 2015 / 12:22 pm

Hoping so. He’s a bright kid. Just have to ease him back out of the house and challenge him intellectually.

3. Leslie October 27, 2015 / 4:10 am

It’s great that you are so willing to try new things to see what works and what doesn’t. It’s so important with your children and their education. It’s not one size fits all.

4. bipolarfirst October 26, 2015 / 7:56 pm

Oh Kit I love that….failure is always an option….nice man

Your son is so lucky to have a mom dedicated to finding the best for him.

5. Just Plain Ol' Vic October 26, 2015 / 6:20 pm

Well at least now you know what might be more optimal, so live and learn!

6. geekcoupletab October 26, 2015 / 1:41 pm

I agree, we need failure to learn from it. I hope your son likes the new school once he gets started.