My Hands are Still Shaking

Getting Back on Track

Thursday I met with the Campus Director of my son’s new school, Halstrom Academy. My hand shook as I wrote out the check for tuition. Haven’t paid for school since my son was in daycare back when I worked outside the home.

Starting Monday, my son will take one class a day, one-on-one with a teacher, different subject each day of the week, and will be responsible for completing a week of homework by the next week’s class. When he spends time on campus to complete his work, there is a tutor available to help. We are reintroducing him to a social school setting incrementally. By January, I hope for him to spend Wednesday afternoons there while I volunteer as a NAMI Provider Educator.

Honestly, my hands have shaken ever since Thursday. I hope and pray that this school works for my son. I’ve heard from my therapist and from my son’s neurologist that Halstrom works well for many kids. I have to set aside my bias in favor of socialization and public schooling to find the solution that works best for my son in overcoming social anxiety and getting back on track.

32 thoughts on “My Hands are Still Shaking

• Kitt O'Malley August 1, 2016 / 8:23 pm

Thanks! I should have reblogged this with an intro. The week my son started at his new school, my mother had a stroke. My son is doing well. Mother, less so.

• Lizzi August 2, 2016 / 1:21 pm

Ohhhhhh I’m so sorry to hear that! Ergh. I’m glad your son’s doing well though, that makes things a tiny bit less fraught than they might otherwise have been, I guess 😦

• Kitt O'Malley August 3, 2016 / 12:36 pm

Yes. He’s coming up with other things he wants me to address NOW, though, as I approach going to BlogHer. SO annoying…

1. e November 14, 2015 / 9:52 pm

This is one of the several reasons I call you courageous. Honest Kitt…blessings to all during this time of transition💙

2. D. Wallace Peach November 10, 2015 / 11:09 am

Best of luck to your son. Take a deep breath for both of you and forge ahead. He’s blessed to have you rooting for him. 🙂

3. Tertia November 9, 2015 / 1:00 pm

I wish you well with this latest path. Your son’s lucky to have you in his corner. I know you have a spiritual life that inspires you, so as I ride the waves of my daughter’s schooling I will try to join you in praying to know where I do and do not have power.

4. writerwannabe763 November 8, 2015 / 3:12 pm

It must be difficult for you, but the one on one sounds very good… Individual attention! Take a deep breath and expect good and positive things… Diane

• Kitt O'Malley November 8, 2015 / 4:23 pm

Thank you, Diane. Just not used to spending that much money on education. Especially since I don’t think I get my money back if it doesn’t work out, so it has to work.

5. Sandy Sue November 8, 2015 / 10:24 am

As I’ve never been a mother, I can’t even imagine how difficult all these decisions must be. Gut instinct and staying open-minded seem to help no matter what. Like others have said here, this slow re-introductions seems less stressful, more kind, more nurturing. I hope for the best possible outcome for both of you.

6. bp7o9 November 7, 2015 / 10:56 pm

The one on one sounds great. Wishing you and your family success with this. And Kitt, you’re doing great. ❤

7. mythoughts62 November 7, 2015 / 8:24 pm

Sounds like a good plan, I hope it works out!

I did NAMI Provider Education once. Bad experience, the two family members were husband and wife, both loose cannons, the husband kept poking at me for being on disability while we were teaching the class, and the wife made things up that weren’t part of the curriculum. Lots of things. Strange things. They are no longer welcome as volunteers, as far as I know, the only time that’s ever happened here.

• Kitt O'Malley November 8, 2015 / 10:01 am

Horrible. That’s why NAMI has a structured standard curriculum, to prevent such behavior.

8. maggie0019 November 7, 2015 / 5:39 pm

Paws crossed for you and your son. Hoping for the best outcome! Woof!

9. dyane November 7, 2015 / 5:30 pm

Halstrom Academy’s philosophy impressed me. I know that was an enormous decision & step for you to take. The fact that you’re putting your son’s needs first in this way, despite your deep-rooted beliefs in socialization & public schooling, shows that you are a mother in the very, very best sense of the word. I love the fact that it’s one-on-one and focused. Much less frenetic than a typical school setting/schedule etc. You will both be in my thoughts heavy-duty come Monday. p.s. both my girls hate MANY aspects of their public elementary school, as do I. The ginormous amount of testing, the large amount of students per class, etc.

• Kitt O'Malley November 8, 2015 / 10:00 am

Nick & I had a huge issue with the amount of testing, too. Seemed every day Matthew was taking at least two tests. Got really bad in high school. Much worse than earlier grades.

10. Just Plain Ol' Vic November 7, 2015 / 2:07 pm

You are doing what you feel is best for your son, have faith and confidence in your decision. Wishing you the best and success for your son!

11. Petal and Mortar November 7, 2015 / 1:56 pm

The journey of a 1000 miles…? This is a brave step you both have taken and I wish you both the best.