Time for Geriatric Psychiatric Hospitalization

ems-gurney

Tuesday I took my mother from her stroke rehab to the hospital for a swallow test. When we returned to her stroke rehab afterwards, she refused to get out of my car. She went so far as to throw my car into park when I was driving toward the entrance. I warned her that her behavior was dangerous and that if she continued she might end up psychiatrically hospitalized.

To get my mom out of my car, the stroke rehab facility had up to ten different staff members try to cajole her out of the car and back to her room. Two Orange County sheriffs were called to see if she would listen to them (not really their job).

Finally the paramedics came. A handsome young paramedic took my mother’s vitals and monitored her heart rate. She refused a wheelchair and pointed to their gurney. After a three hour standoff, the paramedics wheeled her back into the rehab facility on a gurney.

On Wednesday, my mother’s rehab doctor called and informed me that she refused food, drink, medication and all stroke rehab treatment (speech, occupational and physical therapy). He recommended a psychiatric evaluation and checked for a urinary tract infection (UTI) which can result in confusion, a delirium-like state, agitation, hallucinations and behavioral changes.

After her psychiatric evaluation, she was transferred to a small inpatient psychiatric facility with expertise in working with geriatric patients. Maybe my mother will finally get the help that she needs. Unfortunately, psychiatric hospitalization relies heavily on group therapy, a format which she cannot benefit from for she cannot talk due to her stroke.

63 thoughts on “Time for Geriatric Psychiatric Hospitalization

1. bpnurse December 18, 2015 / 4:14 pm

Aw, Kitt, I’m so sorry. It’s hard to watch a parent go through what’s happening with your mom. Prayers and hugs for all of you!

2. Josh Wrenn December 18, 2015 / 4:13 pm

I certainly hope they realize the her condition and plan a good individual therapy for her. I am so sorry you are going through this. Please take care.

• Kitt O'Malley December 19, 2015 / 12:26 pm

Thank you, Josh! Difficult for her to fully benefit from treatment when she can’t speak.

• Josh Wrenn December 19, 2015 / 12:29 pm

Right, I understand. My uncle had a stroke years ago. He can’t speak either. But he can sing, it is the strangest thing.

• Kitt O'Malley December 19, 2015 / 12:35 pm

Right brain handles singing, art, creative. Compensates when left side which handles speech is damaged.

3. lydiaa1614 December 18, 2015 / 4:01 pm

Kitt, this reminds me so much of my father. The health situations were different, however, his behaviour was really hard on all of us. I am so sorry for what you are going through. I hope she can eventually get the help she needs for both of your sakes.

• mythoughts62 December 18, 2015 / 5:28 pm

Don’t feel sorry, the last thing you need is to feel bad about a well-written effort to share feelings. You need to share this and I’m glad that we can be your audience. I hope it helps, at least somewhat.

4. Grief Happens December 18, 2015 / 3:06 pm

I’m so sorry everything is so hard right now. Just wanted to let you know I read this and am sending love and prayers.

5. tonyrobertsdelight December 18, 2015 / 3:00 pm

Oh Kitt, what a difficult ordeal this must be for you. I’m praying for your mother and the whole family.

• Kitt O'Malley December 18, 2015 / 3:03 pm

Thank you, Tony, for your prayers. I hold you and your family in mine, as well.

6. ajshannon2014 December 18, 2015 / 2:54 pm

I’m very sorry, Kitt. I’ll remember your Mam and you in my prayers. Tony.

7. trentpmcd December 18, 2015 / 2:47 pm

I’m very sorry. Hopefully she will be able to get the care she needs.