Together Again

Mom and Dad Together AgainFinally, my parents are back together again since my mother had an acute front left lobe stroke in mid-November. We’ve taken my father to visit my mother in stroke rehab, but tonight they sleep together.  No longer is my father in memory care in one facility and my mother in stroke rehab in another.

49 thoughts on “Together Again

1. roweeee January 16, 2016 / 5:01 am

Well done for fighting for your Mum and Dad to be together. I agree with others how unnatural it is for elderly couples to be separated. I’ll have to keep an eye on that with my own parents. They are 70 but these issues creep up and all it takes is a stroke or heart attack for it all to change.
    Your painting is beautiful,
    xx Rowena

• Kitt O'Malley January 16, 2016 / 10:02 am

I cheated with the painting. It’s a manipulated photo. My mother’s stroke is what changed everything.

• roweeee January 16, 2016 / 10:59 pm

Sorry to hear that. My grandmother had a series of mini strokes and ended up in a nursing home. She’d had open heart surgery and would’ve been better not to have had the op because then her heart wasn’t letting her go. I really felt we had interfered with what was meant to be.

• Kitt O'Malley January 17, 2016 / 11:53 am

Yes. Sometimes, we must simply let go and not resuscitate when someone is aging. Death is beautiful, too. It is a part of the life cycle.

2. stuckinscared January 15, 2016 / 10:24 am

What a beautiful, heartwarming post, Kitt. The picture is lovely. I wondered if it was actually your parents in the pic… I see (by the comments) that it is. Just lovely, Kitt. Made my day. x

• Kitt O'Malley January 16, 2016 / 9:54 am

Yep. Photo that I manipulated using AutoPainter HD iPad app. Still stressed out b/c speech therapist told me to work with my mother daily. My parents are challenging, and I have a son who gets sick a lot. Been leaning on my husband for support.

• stuckinscared January 16, 2016 / 10:14 am

You have an awful lot to contend with, Kitt. It must be incredibly challenging managing your all (and my goodness what an all!) as well as your own health issues. I’m glad you have a supportive husband. I hope things ease off a little for you soon. Is your Mothers therapist aware of other challenges you have to deal with while caring for your parents? Perhaps if she/he were aware then perhaps they could find assistance to help you with your Mum’s therapy?

x

• Kitt O'Malley January 16, 2016 / 10:19 am

Maybe…the staff at their board and care are caregivers, not nurses or therapists.

3. D. Wallace Peach January 13, 2016 / 6:37 am

What a relief to have them together – job well done, Kitt. Sometimes I think the medical machinery forgets that they are dealing with whole lives and not just bodies.

4. Nurse Kelly January 13, 2016 / 5:34 am

Hi Kitt! I’m glad I found your blog through Van! This is so heartwarming to know! 🙂

5. Erika Kind January 13, 2016 / 4:13 am

It takes a lot to step aside and only let love speak…. you are an amazing woman!

6. vanbytheriver January 13, 2016 / 3:56 am

Reblogged this on vanbytheriver and commented:

To honor a lifelong devotion that is real, and with so much respect for the daughter who fought to keep them together.

7. maggie0019 January 12, 2016 / 4:57 pm

Now…take a deep breath and tell yourself, “I did a good job!” Woof!

8. Leslie January 12, 2016 / 2:57 am

So wonderful. I always hear that so much of medicine is attitude. If that is truly the case than your parents just got a big boost. It saddens me to hear of elderly people needing to be separated because of differing medical needs. I’m so glad that they are together.

Also, I know that this relieves you of a HUGE burden running back and forth between facilities. I’m very happy for you as well. It has to warm your heart to see them together again.

9. lolabipola January 12, 2016 / 2:17 am

Aaaawwwww!!!! That is SO awesome! I’m so happy, I do the dance of joy ❤

10. cindy knoke January 11, 2016 / 10:24 pm

So sad when they separate aged couples. There needs to be legislation to stop this.

• Kitt O'Malley January 12, 2016 / 10:19 am

Without a doubt. Our healthcare system does not acknowledge the need of seniors to be together when they receive hospital crisis, rehab, memory care, assisted living, or end of life hospice care. Very confusing and painful to be separated from one’s life partner.

11. john flanagan January 11, 2016 / 9:20 pm

Tender, touching and beautiful.
    i hope, Kitt, you are staying strong.

Big Hugs

john

12. Lizzy January 11, 2016 / 9:04 pm

I am glad for you AND your parents that they can be together again. I cannot even imagine how hard this has been for you and them. You have been and continue to be strong for them. But now be strong for you. Be kind for you. And allow yourself to rest with thankfulness and gladness in your heart. Whisper a prayer of thanks to God and rest well tonight! If there is anything in particular you would like for me to pray, let me know. Love & blessings.

• Kitt O'Malley January 12, 2016 / 10:14 am

Thank you so much for your support and prayers. Now my son is sick. Time to take care of both myself and my son. He tends to fall ill this time of year.