Google+ Punished Me

Dear Kitt O'Malley, We've determined that your posts may be in violation of our User Content and Conduct Policy. Facilitating the sale of regulated goods or services, or promoting regulated goods and services to inappropriate audiences, is not permitted. Continued violation of our policies can lead to the loss of your ability to use some or all features of Google+ and other Google services. Sincerely, The Google+ Team

Apparently my posts or the posts I share are inappropriate. No doubt because they often discuss medications used in treating mental illness. I do not promote any particular medication, but I do share research. Perhaps one of the posts I shared looked innocuous, but was from an illegal pharmaceutical site. Don’t know. Do know that I don’t like getting censured. I really try hard to be a good girl. (Sounds ridiculous, but that’s where it comes from – from a lifetime trying to please.)

For the last twenty some odd weeks, my kittomalley.com blog posts that I intended to share to my Google+ accounts using WordPress’ Publicize feature were posted privately and not shared with the public. Not very useful in publicizing my posts. Apparently I do not fully understand how to use Google+. I can only actively maintain so many social media presences. I pulled down my posts that were shared privately, and disconnected my Google+ accounts from WordPress Publicize. Now is not the time for me to have to deal with this.

PLUS, my Acer Aspire S7 laptop screen is acting up, and I’ll have to mail it back to Acer for repairs. At least it is still under warranty. This will be the third or fourth time I’ve sent it back for repairs. Shortly after I received it, the screen went black. Then the power connection failed. I love it in spite of its fragility. It’s super light and fast. Anyway, I’m working on my iPad right now. Not as fully functional. At least I recently bought an Anker keyboard for it, making it easier to type. Prefer a keyboard for typing, a touchscreen for coloring and playing solitaire (yes, I know, what a waste of time, but it relaxes me and gives my fingers something to do).

50 thoughts on “Google+ Punished Me

1. mythoughts62 January 17, 2016 / 8:09 pm

Something like this happened to me on Facebook as well. I ran into a brick wall trying to get a response from them. I know what I did, I posted a link to an article about some serious ethics violations by a local official who was using his office to harm business that were in competition with his families business. I didn’t actually write anything, I just shared a link to an article on our local paper. I finally figured out what my violation was by poring over the previous weeks time line and realizing that Facebook had taken down the post for me. They could have had the decency to tell me what the “violation” was…

Another service I used to use on Twitter threatened me for “promoting suicide” The last thing I’d ever do, but it’s pretty hard to regularly post about mental illness without ever using the word “suicide” I dropped them.

It sucks doesn’t it?

• Kitt O'Malley January 17, 2016 / 11:31 pm

Yes, it does suck. Terrible that you had negative experiences

2. Linda Lee January 17, 2016 / 8:02 pm

…………………………………….. !!!!! (Self-censoring bad words.)

((((HUG)))))

3. thebipolarmama January 17, 2016 / 7:55 pm

I am sorry you are having a rough patch of luck today. Maybe it was something innocuous. Sometimes it is just something that could go either way. Hopefully,tomorrow is a better day.

4. Sean Mungin January 17, 2016 / 7:13 pm

The same thing happened to me on Facebook. I wrote about it last night.

5. vanbytheriver January 17, 2016 / 6:48 pm

They could at least let you know which post was in violation. I just don’t understand. I never liked google plus anyway.

6. cherished79 January 17, 2016 / 6:38 pm

That’s a bit harsh, they didn’t really explain why or what the hell they are talking about.? I wonder how many others they do this to or is it after a complaint?

• Kitt O'Malley January 17, 2016 / 7:54 pm

I have no idea. I do not want to do anything inappropriate. At the same time, I believe in free and open speech.

7. Just Plain Ol' Vic January 17, 2016 / 6:38 pm

Google+ now officially sucks.

8. Mark January 17, 2016 / 6:22 pm

I think that’s rather bad censorship that Google+ are applying myself, and really an upsetting thing to occur.

• Kitt O'Malley January 17, 2016 / 6:26 pm

I would be helpful if they told me exactly which posts broke their rules. Otherwise, I just want to stop using G+. I can’t discuss living with a serious mental illness without discussing medication. I find it necessary for my stability.

• Kitt O'Malley January 17, 2016 / 6:23 pm

I’m not getting the warnings anymore. Perhaps I deleted the offending post(s).