About Me and This Blog

Blog for Change

Blogging can affect both personal and social change. I started blogging because the thoughts and words in my mind simply had to get out. I hope this blog offers support, educates, and fights stigma.

Though I am a minivan-driving wife and mother, unlike most of my suburban neighbors, I live with bipolar disorder. My Story, My Path to Age Thirty, Psychotic Break at Thirty, Thirty to Motherhood, Mystic or Mentally Ill?, and Mystic Psychosis recount my struggle with mental illness, the two decades it took to get a proper diagnosis, and how my journey has ultimately given me a sense of purpose – and at times, a sense of religious calling.

As a perpetual and proud geek, I always liked going to school. My brown-nosing and hard work got me a BA in Legal Studies from UC Berkeley, an MA in Psychology from New College of California (never heard of New College? well, it no longer exists and was never as prestigious as Berkeley), and twice I’ve attended Fuller Theological Seminary and twice I quit.

Though I’m a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, I haven’t practiced in over 20 years. My varied career path has included working as a legal assistant, psychotherapist, and commercial real estate professional. Obviously, I haven’t stuck to one thing for very long. In fact, if you take a look at my LinkedIn profile, you’ll see that I was a job-hopper, shooting high, rapidly rising, then crashing and burning, over and over – fairly typical of someone with bipolar disorder type II.

My Battle with Mental Illness:

I’m All Over Social Media:

TwitterFacebookGoogle+LinkedInPinterestTumblrInstagramflickrYouTube

If you take a look at my social media presences, you might think that either I’m really committed to making a brand out of my name, or I am a narcissist. Probably both.

Here’s My Contact Form:

40 thoughts on “About Me and This Blog

1. e February 21, 2016 / 11:39 am

Thought of you day when I hit publish. I don’t think you know my much life you’ve breathed into authenticitee with your support. I value you.

e

2. dyane February 11, 2016 / 3:44 pm

Okay, so this comment is late, which is rare!
    You know I love you and I love your blog too!
    Always, in all ways!
    You are a true inspiration.
    XoXoXoXo

• dyane February 15, 2016 / 7:32 am

Wow – not fun! I hope the meetings went as well as possible, sweet one. Please know you’re often in my thoughts and I’m sending you my love! I know it’s an incredibly hard time…. XOXOXOX

• Kitt O'Malley February 15, 2016 / 11:19 am

Thanks! My former boss when I worked in commercial real estate is a local CPA. He strongly recommends renting out my parents’ house until their deaths to avoid paying substantial capital gains tax. So, looking into that, too.

• dyane February 16, 2016 / 5:10 pm

I’m so glad you have your former boss’ expertise. I have enormous respect for CPA’s. My first long-term boyfriend (a UCLA student who passed his CPA exam in his early 20’s!) learned how to be a CPA from his father. Glad you’re getting this guidance. I continue to be amazed at your juggling of such incredibly stressful situations with your parents. You’re in my thoughts daily.

• Kitt O'Malley February 16, 2016 / 8:54 pm

Thank you, Dy. I’m kind of getting to exercise some of my expertise, which is nice.

• Kitt O'Malley February 2, 2016 / 9:31 pm

Thank you, Ellen. I actually posted my About Page as a blog post. May recycle some more content, as I’m pretty overwhelmed with caretaking responsibilities now.

• stockdalewolfe February 3, 2016 / 8:18 am

I knew it was a summary page but it was good. Recycle away. I know how hard caretaking is. My husband has done it twice. Me, once and helped my husband with his great aunt. Be good to yourself while doing it. Treat yourself well. We both lost like 30 pounds taking care of my mother.

3. Jess Melancholia January 31, 2016 / 1:58 pm

You’re an amazing and selfless person Kitt. I’ll always be here to read and follow. Geeks unite!

4. Just Plain Ol' Vic January 31, 2016 / 8:45 am

This just confirms to me Kitt that you are a hell of a person and totally awesome!!

5. Leslie January 31, 2016 / 5:35 am

I love reading your blog Kitt. I don’t always comment, but I always read.
    (I love school too)

6. kbailey374 January 31, 2016 / 4:49 am

Thanks Kitt, I really liked this. I was not aware (yet) of all the various things about your blog. I seem to be stuck and not writing in mine for a while. I will get back to it!

• Kitt O'Malley January 31, 2016 / 4:39 pm

Look forward to reading your writing once you get back to it. Thank you for your comments and support. You are a wonderful loving member of the WordPress mental health community. I’m blessed to have you as a reader and commenter.

7. cindy knoke January 30, 2016 / 11:17 pm

So very sorry you have been dealt such a difficult hand. So proud of you for this post and others. You are helping people, and in final analysis, what is more important?