I’ve Been Really Busy

Walk on the beach

I haven’t been blogging as much recently because I’ve simply been too busy to do so. Moved my parents into Silverado Memory Care Community in San Juan Capistrano Wednesday. My parents are getting excellent care at Silverado. Already they have participated in the social hour and taken a Zumba exercise class. The caregivers are attentive. They have 24-hour nursing staff, and a medical director. Their specialty is working with people with dementia, especially those kicked out of other facilities. They know how to engage their clients positively. They have dogs, cats, birds, and guinea pigs. Two golden retrievers met my parents when we first went in the door. Perfect. My mom sat and pet the guinea pigs, which is very helpful for calming anxiety. I’m hopeful.

Right now I’m in their house in Hermosa Beach taking care of business. Many decisions. Much work. Very busy. Working with my sister to make decisions about their home and their belongings with love and discernment. Paying their bills. Doing their income taxes. Managing their finances. I’ve interviewed real estate agents and brokers, am getting construction bids on deferred maintenance, and finding out what it will take to get the house ready to rent. Yes, I’m super busy. I’ve earned myself a drink (maybe a beer or hard cider) and a luscious dessert.

36 thoughts on “I’ve Been Really Busy

1. Frances D March 5, 2016 / 7:26 am

This Mom says you two are great daughters. Enjoy a drink or two 😉 I’ll raise a glass to you and yours as soon as the cocktail hour arrives. Look forward to your return to more frequent posting. My best to Mom and Dad.

2. Just Plain Ol' Vic March 5, 2016 / 7:19 am

Busy indeed! Focus on what is important and take care!

3. vanbytheriver March 5, 2016 / 5:40 am

Nice to see you here, Kitt. But be sure to give yourself a break, and a few more drinks. You are processing a lot right now. I understand just a small bit of what you’re going through, and it’s a very emotional time. Glad your folks are set up in a good environment…the animals…such a perfect addition.

Be well. 💕

4. Leslie March 5, 2016 / 4:36 am

I’m so glad you were finally able to move your parents to their new home and that it’s been such a positive experience for them. I’m thrilled to hear that they have pets there…what a wonderful anxiety reducing activity (it’s also great if you’re not in charge of poo pickup and cage cleaning!)

I don’t envy the position you and your sister now find yourselves in. So much work. But, I’m glad that you have help.

It’s nice to see you Kitt. Sending prayers (or thoughts if you prefer) for strength and peace.

5. bp7o9 March 4, 2016 / 10:50 pm

So glad you’ve found a place that’s so good for your parents. You’ve got a lot of work to get thru. Nice to hear you’re sister is helping and you don’t have to shoulder the burden all by yourself.

6. Bradley March 4, 2016 / 9:23 pm

I came back and you weren’t around. I was wondering what was going on. Happy to hear you found such a nice place for your parents. I can only imagine the work ahead of you getting things in order. Make sure Kitt is also taking care of Kitt, and I look forward to your return,

• Kitt O'Malley March 4, 2016 / 9:51 pm

Thank you, Bradley. I haven’t had the time to keep up my reading.

7. 10000hoursleft March 4, 2016 / 8:39 pm

Hey, I was thinking about you. All that hard work – sit back, kick up your feet and enjoy that cider! What’s for dessert?

8. Marie Abanga March 4, 2016 / 8:09 pm

Dead Kitt, it’s truly been a while. Yes you really have earned yourself a stout or ale. And all that you are doing is in addition to taking care of your family and above all yourself. Go ahead and drink for a break

• Kitt O'Malley March 4, 2016 / 8:32 pm

Enjoying a hard cider. Tastes good. Hope all is well with you and your foundation.

9. Running Elk March 4, 2016 / 7:36 pm

So glad to hear that you found a place that your parents may be comfortable in. Sounds like a good match. Real homey too. (Tempted to book in myself! :p ) Have a beer for us 😀 xx

• Kitt O'Malley March 4, 2016 / 8:31 pm

Enjoying a hard cider. I have a sweet tooth. Hard cider tastes like fruit juice with a kick. Just the way I like it.