Vascular Dementia and Psychosis

trees and mountain range in distance
My husband, son & I are visiting my sister, her family, and the in-laws (my sister and I married brothers) in Oregon. Beautiful outside. We can see Mt. St. Helens peaking out in the distance, but it doesn’t really show up in this photo.

Trying to focus on nature’s beauty to give my mind and my soul a break from the burden of caregiving for my parents.

Had to have my mother psychiatrically hospitalized again. Vascular dementia due to her recent stroke in addition to pre-existing mental illness (she’s my mother, I’m her genetic legacy) led to psychosis. Hope that her new medication regimen will improve the quality of her life.

Painful process to watch, seeing someone you love devastated by a stroke. My mother’s vascular dementia is worse than my father’s dementia. He has no short-term memory and is aware of his memory loss, but still has verbal skills. My mother has lost her ability to communicate, which makes it very difficult for her.

Take care of your brain. Injuries to it can alter your life in terrible ways.

48 thoughts on “Vascular Dementia and Psychosis

1. Leslie March 29, 2016 / 2:53 pm

Kitt, I’m really sorry to hear about your mom. Hopefully new meds will help alot.

It’s really pretty cool that you and your sister married brothers! I’m sure there is an interesting story in there somewhere!

I’m very glad that you have been able to get away for a couple days. It’s very important to take breaks. Caring for someone (2 someones) who is sick is very exhausting. Enjoy your visit!

2. pjcolando March 29, 2016 / 1:36 pm

Can you and your mother use augmentative communication devices? Hand gestures, body language?

Want to meet to problem-solve care options or to merely emote?

• Kitt O'Malley March 29, 2016 / 1:47 pm

I’ll contact you when I’m back in California. In Oregon today and tomorrow. She can read facial expressions and body language. She has trouble with communication boards. Drawn facial expressions she gets. Right side of brain intact.

3. Bradley March 29, 2016 / 11:28 am

I’m glad that you’ve gone out and got some fresh air and enjoyed yourself for awhile. You deserve much more than that

• Kitt O'Malley March 29, 2016 / 1:44 pm

Thank you, Laura. Hopefully new medication regimen will help.

4. susurrus March 29, 2016 / 11:01 am

I’m sorry to hear about your mum and hope she improves. How sweet that you and your sister married brothers!

5. M. R. Wilson March 29, 2016 / 10:06 am

Oh, Kitt…This is heart-breaking. I am so sorry. You certainly deserve this much-needed break with your family. Do life-affirming things. You are in my thoughts.