Anxious about Dementia

So here I am, in my car, which is pretty hot. Probably have to open the windows to let in some air. Just going to make it hard for anything to be heard. Oh, oh, that feels good.

Okay. I’m on my way to the Alzheimer’s Association of Orange County, or whatever it’s called, Alzheimer’s dot org of Orange County. ALZ.org for those who want to check out the national Alzheimer’s US group. But I’m going to the local OC chapter’s educational series. The first one is Basics – Dementia Basics. I’m driving, so I’m not necessarily getting the title totally correct.

I’m actually pretty anxious going to it. Anxious because, well, this is pretty emotionally trying for me having both my parents with dementia right now. My mom’s struggling with what’s called vascular dementia, which is secondary to her stroke, and can be caused by heart problems, blood pressure, high blood pressure. All those things can damage the brain. Right? High blood pressure goes up, damage to the brain. So, and her stroke was the most damaging to the brain. Just horrible.

And, my dad has been struggling with memory loss for many, many years. This last year it’s just taken a real dive. He still has his social skills, but his memory is pretty fried, especially his short term memory. But he’s able to reason. His intelligence is there. It’s alcohol-related dementia. Some people are more susceptible than others. Have people drinking the same amount of alcohol. One gets cirrhosis. The other gets alcohol-related dementia. The other gets nothing. So, you never know what you’re playing with in terms of your deck, and you better take pretty good care of it.

I try to do my best. Well, I don’t do my best. I try to do my better. (Laugh) I don’t exercise enough. I know that. I’m taking cholesterol meds rather than strictly adhere to a low fat diet. I try, I look at the fat content in everything, but I just have my weaknesses, especially since my mom had her stroke. I’ve put on at least ten pounds, maybe fifteen. I think it’s about ten pounds according to my physician since her stroke, and it’s pounds where you don’t want to have it, on your stomach. That’s the area that’s not good for your heart.

Heart health is what I really have to take a look at now as somebody who is susceptible to stroke. My grandmother died, my maternal grandmother, my mother’s mother, died of stroke, and she’d had several TIA’s, which are like mini-strokes, before that. So, anyway, just checking in.

32 thoughts on “Anxious about Dementia

1. vanbytheriver April 12, 2016 / 5:20 am

Bless you for all you are doing, both for your parents, and here sharing so much information. I’d never heard of alcohol related dementia. It’s all so random, it seems, how we are affected. You are wise to be so informed on topics that affect your genetics. Wishing you all the best, Kitt.

Many hugs to you. This is such a stressful time. Take care of yourself. 💖 💘 💝

• Kitt O'Malley April 12, 2016 / 4:28 pm

Thanks. I can feel the pull of alcohol in my blood, so to speak, so I drink minimally to prevent becoming an alcoholic. Scary how toxic alcohol is. It’s a neurotoxin.

2. Leslie April 12, 2016 / 5:18 am

I can’t imagine having both parents so sick at the same time. You’re doing great, just try to remember to take care of yourself as well!

• Kitt O'Malley April 12, 2016 / 4:25 pm

Thanks. Will do. Have to recover from Sunday night. Haven’t written yet how I spent the late night and wee hours of the morning at the ER with my mom because she aspirated food and liquids. She’s doing well. Now on a dysphagia diet.

3. Brenda April 12, 2016 / 5:13 am

Good for you for doing some research! I have some dementia in my family as well. It’s a scary thought. I’m glad you’re aware of the need to look out for yourself. Hang in there!

4. mihrank April 11, 2016 / 11:13 pm

Kitt – I never met a lady has a confidence and determination like you!

5. bpnurse April 11, 2016 / 11:02 pm

You are such a good daughter. Your parents are blessed to have you looking out for them. Praying for all of you.

• Kitt O'Malley April 12, 2016 / 4:20 pm

Thank you so much. You are blessed to have your husband (and he, you) and your son and his husband. As they say, aging isn’t for sissies.

6. Bradley April 11, 2016 / 10:44 pm

Be proud of yourself for doing research, attending support groups and sharing on your blog. Many would be inclined to give up and give in to a natural feeling of helplessness. Your parents are lucky to have you, whether they’re able to tell you or not.

7. LydiaA1614 April 11, 2016 / 10:30 pm

My father was suffering dementia in his final years. As I was his primary caregiver I got the “brunt” of it. I don’t mean that as harsh as it sounds. I am sure you and others can understand. It broke my heart to see him that way. Your parents are lucky to have you but just know you have to be good to yourself as well. Sending hugs and prayers.

• Kitt O'Malley April 12, 2016 / 4:18 pm

Thank you. Caregivers suffer. Huge burden. Luckily my parents have the resources for me to place them in excellent memory care. I could never do it at home. My mental health, not to mention my son’s and husband’s peace of mind, would be destroyed.

• LydiaA1614 April 12, 2016 / 5:43 pm

Yes, it destroyed my mental and physical health, which were hanging by a thread as it was. It did almost cost me my marriage; however, in the end I think it strengthened that bond once we were back on our own. Even finding your parents in good care, there is still a lot of responsibility on your shoulders.

• Kitt O'Malley April 12, 2016 / 6:17 pm

Without a doubt. I’m glad that you survived the experience with your marriage stronger. I hope that your mind and body have had the chance to recuperate.

8. danjoycepoetry April 11, 2016 / 9:30 pm

My father is dead. My mother is either senile or still very strict. You are a good person for loving parents and caring for them. In later years, both can be a challenge.

• Kitt O'Malley April 12, 2016 / 4:17 pm

Yes. Helps to have excellent senior care. Couldn’t do it alone.

9. Bipolar1Blog April 11, 2016 / 8:31 pm

You are doing well, taking care of both your parents… with dementia… how incredibly difficult that must be. Lucky they have you for a daughter! Hugs for you. Btw the video didn’t play for me, it was just a still image with sound…

• Kitt O'Malley April 12, 2016 / 4:16 pm

It’s a still image with sound. I guess I should have clarified. I used YouTube, for I can type and do closed captioning.