Stroke and Swallowing

Mom Looking Good in the ER

Sunday night I spent the late night and wee hours of the morning at the emergency room with my mother because she had aspirated food and liquids at dinner. She’s doing very well now, but is again experiencing dysphagia, or difficulty swallowing after stroke.

When the nurse at Silverado, my parents’ memory care community, told me that my mother was coughing up copious liquid, I worried that she may have pneumonia or at least was at risk of pneumonia. I rushed over to take her to the ER. As soon as I saw her, I knew that she must have recently aspirated food and liquids, for she looked absolutely gorgeous. She obviously was not sick. I’ve had pneumonia, and I remember how miserable I felt and must have looked.

American Stroke Association – About Stroke

What is Stroke?
Stroke is a disease that affects the arteries leading to and within the brain. It is the No. 5 cause of death and a leading cause of disability in the United States.

A stroke occurs when a blood vessel that carries oxygen and nutrients to the brain is either blocked by a clot or bursts (or ruptures). When that happens, part of the brain cannot get the blood (and oxygen) it needs, so it and brain cells die.

26 thoughts on “Stroke and Swallowing

1. dyane April 16, 2016 / 11:10 am

I’m so glad that your mother is doing better now, but I’m really sorry you had to take her to the ER because I know how stressful that must have been!! I hope that whatever you’re up to today, you got to stop and smell the roses… and possibly take a picture of a magnificent one for me! 😉 xoxoxo

• Kitt O'Malley April 16, 2016 / 4:03 pm

Thanks. Threw my sleep cycle off for the whole week and exhausted me. Still recovering.

2. lookingforthelightblog April 13, 2016 / 11:25 pm

Hi Kitt
    It reminds me of when my granny had difficulty drinking or chewing. I found Amazon medical supplies section very helpful. I first bought a cup/drink cup that would only allow so much in at a time. I also purchased a product like water thicker so she wouldn’t choke. Eating was terrible, my gramps would make broths or pulverized potato soup. She continued to slide down. We had granny in Boost drinks with highest calorie count.
    One afternoon my granny started taking her daily meds. We had difficult conversation on how to take her meds, why take them? She’ll die in next couple of months, it makes no sense to put her through the pain of choking.
    He looked at me for a long time, then said you’re right. It was difficult for gramps, he was hoping she’d get better.
    I had the same conversation with him.
    I hope your mother is in better shape and has joy in her life.
    🙂
    Xx M

• Kitt O'Malley April 14, 2016 / 7:33 am

So sorry. Painful to see those we love struggle. For now, my mother is otherwise doing well. She’s not fond of eating food that has been puréed, though.

3. Marie Abanga April 13, 2016 / 9:45 am

Wishing you all the best. Kitt you are doing well and right for your folks. Thanks for sharing these with us all too. A special thought for you during my evening prayers today. Loads of all from all across 3 fab oceans 🙂

4. Leslie April 13, 2016 / 6:46 am

Prayers for strength and peace for you and your family

• Kitt O'Malley April 13, 2016 / 2:04 pm

Thank you so much. I plan to buy her mascara so that her morning caregiver can make her up even more! (Just a hint of blush and curled hair so far.)

5. e April 13, 2016 / 2:34 am

Wow Kitt first of all Mom is gorgeous…secondly you & your family are incredibly strong. Blessings to each one🌹e

• Kitt O'Malley April 13, 2016 / 2:03 pm

Isn’t she?! Her morning caregiver has been curling her hair. Love it (she does, too).

6. Silent~Dugood April 12, 2016 / 6:25 pm

Get well soon MOM! I worked in this field for many years, and it’s good you caught her symptoms fast. Tell Mom not to try to eat those good old favorite meals too soon and to tuck her chin when eating. Make sure they do a good swallowing evaluation. Be blessed.