Just Finished My CE’s!

Completed My Continuing Education

Just completed my continuing education (CE) for my California Marriage and Family Therapist license (LMFT). To renew my license this time around, among the courses I took, I chose the following three timely and emotionally charged ones:  Older Adults and Mental Health,  School Refusal, and Chronic Illness in Children.

Yes, I’m firmly in the Sandwich Generation, parenting a sensitive adolescent while caring for aging parents. Here I am in the middle, somehow balancing it all even though I have bipolar disorder. I can hardly believe that I’m stable all things considered.

For those wondering, I do not see clients. Graduated with a Masters in Psychology in 1990. Licensed since 1992. Haven’t actively practiced since I was 30. But in recent years I’ve activated my long-time inactive license by taking the continuing education coursework, for I identify as a healer, as a therapist, even if I no longer make a living doing so.

I use my knowledge and skills elsewhere, like here, and in parenting my son (which I do imperfectly), caring for my parents (also trial and error) and loving my husband.

25 thoughts on “Just Finished My CE’s!

1. kbailey374 April 15, 2016 / 6:03 am

It’s a thought. I have not been working as a nurse, but that doesn’t mean I have no interest anymore. Good for you Kitt!

2. Leslie April 14, 2016 / 5:09 am

You are just amazing Kitt. Do you enjoy the continuing education?

3. TradeRoutz livingStyle April 14, 2016 / 3:36 am

wow Kitt! well done on all that you have achieved, and not only academically, but with love and kindness and attention to those that are close to you and couldn’t do without you! How brilliant to have studied so much with bipolar! You deserve a medal or 6. x x

• Kitt O'Malley April 14, 2016 / 7:35 am

Thank you! Having a mental illness need not completely hold one back. Of course, studying is something I do well. Always been a good student.

4. stockdalewolfe April 13, 2016 / 6:33 pm

That’s great, Kitt! Good you keep it up. Never know when you will use these skills. I trained to teach autistic children and then married a guy, himself now a therapist, who has Asperger’s. Strange how life goes. Good luck with all you are doing! And congratulations!

• stockdalewolfe April 14, 2016 / 5:49 am

Kitt, yes, as if there is a plan… My husband feels a failure for ditching his first challenge, living and studying in the Middle East. Even then he was trying to do Social Work, bring understanding between cultures. I keep telling him he learned to cross cultures there so it was a crucial experience, which now makes him a great therapist for the poorest of the poor, for the downtrodden in society.

• Kitt O'Malley April 14, 2016 / 7:37 am

Exactly. Our past experiences provide us with insight, compassion and life skills.

5. Bradley April 13, 2016 / 6:16 pm

Great job, Kitt. I’m impressed. I’m glad you see this blog as a way of using your skills. I have no doubt you’re being of service.

6. 10000hoursleft April 13, 2016 / 6:15 pm

Congratulations Kitt! Sounds like you are putting your knowledge and skills to great use.

7. bpnurse April 13, 2016 / 6:06 pm

Good for you, Kitt! I keep my RN license active too, even though I’m no longer working and have little or no chance of going back to nursing. It’s good to stay on top of those skills and knowledge. Keep up the good work, and I will too. 🙂

• Kitt O'Malley April 13, 2016 / 7:54 pm

Without doubt. The skills and knowledge are applicable in our daily lives, as you well know.