Child and Adolescent Mental Health #MHM

Children-MH-Facts-NAMI

14 thoughts on “Child and Adolescent Mental Health #MHM

1. jennymarie4 May 4, 2016 / 5:53 pm

Glad you posted this Kitt. I was looking at it yesterday, and thought it was really interesting. And staggering to know that 1 in 5 kids, ages 13-18 have or will have a serious mental illness.

2. Just Plain Ol' Vic May 4, 2016 / 5:43 pm

Reblogged this on Just Plain Ol' Vic and commented:

The fact that I am a parent, married to someone that has mental health issues – this info graphic was very sobering for me.

• Kitt O'Malley May 4, 2016 / 5:58 pm

Yes. But biology is not destiny. Environment plays a r0le. Just be educated, aware, open and compassionate.

• Just Plain Ol' Vic May 4, 2016 / 6:08 pm

Yes I agree. My statement was more along the lines of: “Because my wife has mental health issues and my children are exposed to them, this had made me more mindful of what is going on around me.” More of a statement of the environment they are in and not a comment about any sort of genetic legacy.

• Kitt O'Malley May 4, 2016 / 6:31 pm

Both have an effect. Biology – genetic heir – and environment – learned responses and stressful living environment. My son struggles with migraines (in both of our families), anxiety & depression. I feel terrible that we passed these illnesses onto him, but at least we are proactive and compassionate.

3. laurelwolfelives May 4, 2016 / 3:36 pm

I’m familiar with most of these statistics. I used to “run” on so many young people who had attempted suicide. We’d drop them off at the hospital and more often than not, they were treated like some child who had done something “stupid.”
    That changed when they put one of them in a room, probably thinking they were just trying to get attention and the young man hung himself with a computer cord. I don’t know that anything was done to find out why these “children” were so disturbed so as to try to take their own lives, but they were no longer left in a room alone without being monitored.

• Kitt O'Malley May 4, 2016 / 4:26 pm

Story to tragic to simply click “like.” Terrible. I was once a suicidal adolescent. It was a living hell. Come a long way since then.

• laurelwolfelives May 4, 2016 / 4:38 pm

I truly believe that nobody takes the young and the old seriously….especially when it comes to mental illness. If you’re young, you’re “acting out.” If you’re old, you’re not worth the trouble. It’s a terrible, terrible situation….and so real. Sigh.

• Kitt O'Malley May 4, 2016 / 5:57 pm

Yes. Both populations are vulnerable, at risk, and often dismissed. When I was working as a psychotherapist, I worked with severely emotionally disturbed adolescents in residential treatment. We did not dismiss them. Adolescents and their families truly need all the support they can get. The same can be said for the elderly. My mother has struggled quite a bit since her stroke. The damage to her brain has affected her impulse control. Luckily I do not hesitate to get her the help she needs. Unfortunately, most seniors are isolated and neglected.

4. Bradley May 4, 2016 / 1:04 pm

This graphic speaks volumes. I tried to share it on Facebook, but it turned out too small to read. Thank you for sharing again.

• Kitt O'Malley May 4, 2016 / 4:22 pm

Yep. Hopefully if they click on it, it will get bigger. I’ve been struggling with these infographs, which reminded me that I should link back to NAMI.