Bipolar, Rage & Violence

Bipolar Disorder Rage Violence

Sure, having a mental illness does not mean that you will be violent. Still, some of us with mental illness, myself included, do have or have had violent thoughts and impulses. For the most part, I have not acted on mine, at least not the worst of them. I have raised my voice, flipped the dinner table over, and thrown my iPad. Some people like me need treatment to control violent thoughts and impulses.

37 thoughts on “Bipolar, Rage & Violence

1. Sarah August 3, 2016 / 12:51 pm

I too experience issues with rage and violent thoughts, super-ultra kudos for being willing to talk about it when so many think doing so will create more fear instead of help us understand it!

• Kitt O'Malley August 3, 2016 / 2:23 pm

So important that we own it, especially because it affects those closest to us, those we love and who love us.

2. Leslie August 2, 2016 / 8:40 am

I’m usually able to control my rage, but not always. But, as you said, I have controlled the worst of it. We really don’t need another symptom.

• Kitt O'Malley August 2, 2016 / 11:12 am

No, we don’t. Well done controlling it. I find that when I’m stable, I do not rage. When the balance is tipped and I’m hypomanic, then I must watch myself, for my temper is short.

• hirundine608 August 2, 2016 / 1:05 pm

Kitt, isn’t hypo meaning “less than” and hyper means “more than”. Like hypertension, etc.It would make sense when someone is hyper manic. To be overly symptomatic. Since I know little, about mental health except through my last marriage.

When my ex. displayed many strange [to me] attitudes. Of sometime maniacal behaviour patterns. I urged her to seek medical help, toward the end of our relationship. One day she told me she was bipolar. The next she denied this was true? Since we no longer talk in such intimate ways, I am left a bit frustrated with it. Although a good friend of hers told me last year that she. My ex. Had exhibited such odd behaviour and a mean attitude toward her, too. Then she said that it was not really surprising given the family history? Some of which actually made sense. Cheers Jamie.

• Kitt O'Malley August 3, 2016 / 12:35 pm

The clinical term “hypomanic” refers to a state that is more manic than normal, but less than manic.

“Hypomania (literally “under mania” or “less than mania”) is a mood state characterized by persistent disinhibition and pervasive elevated (euphoric) with or without irritable mood but generally less severe than full mania.” – wikipedia

• hirundine608 August 3, 2016 / 5:11 pm

Howdy, I think I understand yet not very well? Regardless, I expect it is unpleasant, for sufferers and their families? Cheers Jamie.

• Kitt O'Malley August 3, 2016 / 9:49 pm

Think of it as “mild” mania. What I must protect against when socially stimulated, that and exhaustion.

• Leslie August 3, 2016 / 5:19 am

It seems like I’m angry all the time right now. I guess one of my meds isn’t doing the trick. sigh

• Kitt O'Malley August 3, 2016 / 12:40 pm

Definitely time to see your psychiatrist when you’re angry all the time. Intolerable state.

• Leslie August 4, 2016 / 11:10 am

It really is. She’s on vacation (no fill in) but I have an appointment set for the day she comes back.

3. lolabipola July 30, 2016 / 10:11 pm

Oh that rage! Its so awful to experience because its overpowering, and totally not who I am as a person. Dealing with the subsequent guilt is also difficult… But yes, meds, therapy, and social support are very helpful in managing those symptoms…

4. Just Plain Ol' Vic July 30, 2016 / 12:25 pm

I totally empathize with this. I see that, while my wife is quick to anger and vent, she is not a violent person.

If I remember right, according to NAMI people with mental illnesses are more likely to be victims of violence as opposed to being the perpetrator.

• Kitt O'Malley July 30, 2016 / 12:41 pm

Yes. This was originally a devil’s advocate response to that fact. We must still own up to the effects our symptoms have.

• Just Plain Ol' Vic July 30, 2016 / 12:57 pm

I agree. My wife’s mental illness explains her behavior but it does not excuse it.

5. Susan Irene Fox July 30, 2016 / 11:16 am

Kitt, I can empathize. Before I was diagnosed, before I got on medication, I would throw things, too. I actually saved empty beer bottles in my garage so when I lost my temper I would go out and throw them at the wall. Once while driving I became so angry with a driver who cut me off in traffic I put my fist into my windshield and cracked it into a spider web. I think that’s when I finally knew I needed help. Thankfully, my meds combo have literally saved my life.

6. hirundine608 July 30, 2016 / 10:11 am

Howdy Kitt, Ionic magnesium, might be helpful in achieving a better relaxed state? Cheers Jamie

• Kitt O'Malley July 30, 2016 / 12:38 pm

I’m actually doing quite well right now. Great suggestion for nutritional supplement.

7. Lekhamisra July 30, 2016 / 6:29 am

Hi Kitt to control the violent thought and behavior try regular exercise, sleep a little more to rest your brain, also take more of fresh fruits, vegetables, soy protein not too much meat, create a support group, talk and listen more to your family and keep journal.
    I am not a doctor but these are the things which may help.

• dyane July 30, 2016 / 7:40 am

These are all great suggestions, Lekhamsire, and I follow them; however, I suggest finding a support group and not creating one.

After much deliberation, last week I closed my women’s support group that I created 2 years ago. It was a bittersweet decision. However, to create and facilitate a group is stressful & takes time/energy to run. (No one else stepped up to assist me, although I put the word out time and again – if I ever created another group I’d find a partner to do it with!)

My amazing friend Kitt has enough on her plate, i.e. demands at this time with caregiving her parents and special events coming up… 🙂 Take care and have a wonderful weekend!!!

• Kitt O'Malley July 30, 2016 / 12:36 pm

Thank you. Exercise, proper nutrition, and support helps.

• Kitt O'Malley July 30, 2016 / 12:32 pm

I have found medication and psychotherapy very useful in controlling my bipolar symptoms. That does not mean that I’m symptom-free. I must be mindful of my moods, thoughts and behavior, and how I affect others.