Shedding a Few Tears

tears-on-plant

It’s been a year. It’s been a year since I noticed that my mother hadn’t taken her turn in Words with Friends. It’s been a year since my mother was verbal. It’s been a year since she could use language.

Her passion was words. She spent her days playing word games. She was proud that she had been debate team captain in college. She could and would and did slay with words.

Last year she had a stroke. Life hasn’t been the same since – not for her, not for my father, not for my sister, not for me, not for my son, not for my husband.

Finally, I allow myself to gently shed a few tears, a few soft tears. Finally, I allow myself much needed mourning the loss of my verbal mother. She is still with us, but she is different. Her brain permanently changed, permanently damaged.

I can no longer talk on the phone with her. I can no longer play word games with her. And, so, I’m sad. I miss the old her. Even if she did slay with words.

40 thoughts on “Shedding a Few Tears

1. SassaFrassTheFeisty November 13, 2016 / 3:52 pm

{Hugs} It is hard to watch, harder to feel helpless, and the hardest to mourn the loss of who she was. You have been so strong for so many people this past year. Allow your grief to be seen with your tears. Even the strong ones need to lean on someone or something. {Hugs Hugs HUGS}

2. avaswan November 13, 2016 / 3:19 pm

So sorry Kit, it is so hard to deal with the changes our parents go through with age especially their ability to communicate with us. I’m sending prayers for you and your family.

3. fotojennic November 13, 2016 / 2:00 pm

I am so very sorry. It is so painful to watch. I hope this virtual hug reaches you and gives you some comfort.

4. dyane November 13, 2016 / 1:49 pm

I too am very sorry, my friend. It’s a heartbreaking loss. Sending love your way.

5. Mental Break-In Progress November 13, 2016 / 1:35 pm

So sorry to hear this Kitt. I will keep you in my prayers. Although your mother has lost her ability to slay with words as you say, perhaps turn of events opens a new door of communication yet to be discovered hugs

6. Just Plain Ol' Vic November 13, 2016 / 1:30 pm

My heart goes out to you Kitt. Sending you positive and caring thoughts your way.

7. mihrank November 13, 2016 / 1:28 pm

your words is touching, sad and showing how mother is important for us.