Am I Still a Mental Health Blogger?

Self, Wife, Mother, Caregiver, Writer, Blogger, Mental Health Advocate

What defines being a blogger, specifically a mental health blogger? Must I write regularly or frequently? Must I always write about mental health? What if that is not my focus ALL the time? What if I’m so busy that living with bipolar disorder is not in the forefront of my mind? What if I’m overwhelmed by my life circumstances? What if I’m simply taking a break?

I’m not the most disciplined writer. Never been one for discipline; though, I do brush and floss my teeth every night. My house is a mess – dusty and cluttered. I bathe or shower (I prefer to bathe) at least once a week. (You are probably disgusted by this admission. I try not to move too much, so I don’t sweat and get stinky. Yes, I know I should exercise daily. And, eat better. Just because I know better, doesn’t mean I do better.)

Followers of my blog say they miss me when I write once a month, and not more often. Not sure if it’s nice to be missed, or if it’s stressful, if I have an obligation to write.

No, I have no obligation to write.

That’s why I blog.

It’s mine. All mine.

Yes, I interact with others here and enjoy doing so. I respond to those who comment.
Recently, though, I’ve been busy with life. My illness, bipolar disorder, hasn’t been the focus of my blog. I’m fairly stable. My symptoms are more or less in remission. But, the concepts of remission and recovery can mislead. Serious mental illnesses, like bipolar disorder and schizophrenia, are chronic, lifelong brain disorders. You can live with them. Medications can help you treat the symptoms. But, the brain disorder remains.

To stay stable, I must be careful. I must plan for how certain circumstances affect me.

Last month I presented and next week I again will present as an individual living with mental illness for NAMI Provider Education at the hospital where over a decade ago (12 years now) I was treated two weeks inpatient and for a few months in their partial hospitalization program until I got bored.f

I get overstimulated in social situations and must recover. I cannot sustain that level of social functioning without paying a high price – psychiatric instability, hypomania and subsequent depression, mood cycling. So, I must keep in mind that I will need downtime afterwards – time to recover.

So… I started writing this piece wondering about the effects of my recent lack of “mental health” blog posts. I’ve also slacked off reading and commenting on others’ blogs. Sorry, folks.

I’ve been too busy doing taxes (scanning tons of receipts), driving my son to and from school and numerous doctors’ appointments (unfortunately, he isn’t motivated to get his driver’s license anytime soon & knows we didn’t get ours until we were 18 & 19), and making sure my parents are happy.

When I haven’t been busy, I’ve been exhausted – too exhausted to write, to read, to do anything verbal. Instead, I took up doing jigsaw puzzles on my iPad – enjoy that they are visual, non-verbal, and engage my mind.

73 thoughts on “Am I Still a Mental Health Blogger?

1. Avery August 4, 2017 / 9:33 pm

You are one of the best mental health bloggers I have ever seen. Keep doing such fantastic works and don’t forget to share with us.

2. st3vo101 June 25, 2017 / 1:50 am

If anyone is after someone to relate to please check out my blog. I don’t care about followers or money etc, all I care about is that people read my blog and understand that they are not alone. please see http://www.behindthemask.blog

3. missy123x May 3, 2017 / 9:48 am

Amazing! Staying positive is so tough to do all the time , look after your own mental health before anybody else’s, I am only new to this blogging stuff I literally only joined today! My first story is about mental health issues and how I coped with it, I would love for you to read it! I had the same concern that now I have posted one story I will have to keep talking about the same stuff but you have really changed my mind on that! Brilliant post X

4. thatsanxiety April 25, 2017 / 1:29 pm

I am new to this blog thing and realized I have the same concern. Though its your mental health so remember to do anything to better yourself if that means writing every day or writing twice a year.

5. Thoughts and Views April 24, 2017 / 7:07 pm

Life feels like a marathon. We all tend to live our lives by the clock. Slowing down helps. Staying positive and productive with stuff that is interesting. Mental Illness can be controlled simply by slowing down. Sometimes disconnecting from the internet and negative people help as well.

6. Mountainstroh (Tony) April 20, 2017 / 12:39 pm

I started out thinking I will post ONLY cycling related posts! That soon changed, to My Blog, my stuff, my posts! Life is not all about one thing, so why shouldn’t our posts reflect that. Well done!

7. Miranda April 14, 2017 / 10:19 am

Hi.

I’ve just started writing again. When I originally started my blog a few years back I was very focused on my mental health (I have schizoaffective disorder) but now I am leading a different life and things are much calmer generally, even if they’re not completely stable.

I have found though that just writing for half an hour a day is good for me. It gets me out of my little bubble and makes me contemplate the world beyond my cottage. I like to play around with words and challenge myself. Thank you for sharing a little about your life. It’s ok to focus on what you need to focus on. And you made me feel a bit better that my house is an absolute tip!

Miranda

8. Emily Jowdh April 12, 2017 / 3:56 am

You shouldn’t ever feel guilty for not writing in your blog. It’s YOUR blog. If your readers are following your story and understand what you’re going through then they will understand that it’s not always going to be a priority for you to write about it.
    I’m a huge mental health advocate and have recently started my own blog on the subject, but I don’t think it’ll ever be strictly mental health blogs, I think I’d run out of things to talk about! If that’s even possible! Ha!

9. smboney April 10, 2017 / 4:33 pm

I know the feeling. Sometimes it just takes too much to write about problems that are happening because of your mental health. Good post.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )