Verbal Non-Verbal

verbal

Sometimes, I’m verbal
The words rush
They press
They insist on getting out of my head
They keep me awake at night
Unless I shut them up

Needing to get out
I need relief
So, I write

Then, I must get
The racing commentary
Out of my mind
Onto the screen or paper
In black and white
Where later I reshape them
Edit them into something coherent

Perhaps
Or, perhaps,
Sometimes, I leave them
In a jumbled mess
All over the page

26 thoughts on “Verbal Non-Verbal

1. Seanín Hughes April 20, 2017 / 3:49 am

This resonates enormously. I haven’t written yet about my own (extensive) experiences with mood disorders and writing, but this expresses an all too frequent reality so well.

• Kitt O'Malley April 20, 2017 / 11:30 am

What you write resonates with me. Many poets struggle with mood disorders. Poetry speaks for them, and for you.

2. Raegina March 29, 2017 / 3:08 am

I always just have the words. Nodding all the way through this piece. Yes.

3. Just Plain Ol' Vic March 6, 2017 / 7:48 pm

I enjoyed this “verbal” moment from you. Hope you are well and it is great hearing from you!

4. Susan Irene Fox March 6, 2017 / 11:47 am

Oh, yes, I know those two dichotomies quite well, and there’s not much in between. And when the words aren’t there and I binge-watch Suits or the Great British Baking Show, I know I’m depressed so I let any words that might be simmer until they’re ready to be served up into a post or poem.

Coming out of one of those times now, yet they seem to come more often as I age. Somehow, my poetry seems to communicate more clearly nowadays.

5. vanbytheriver March 6, 2017 / 5:10 am

The urgency of those words…we all understand, Kitt. I often use stream of consciousness writing to sort out my own deepest feelings. Nice to see you here.

• Kitt O'Malley March 6, 2017 / 1:09 pm

Stream of consciousness writing is a wonderful way of letting loose. Great writing exercise, too.

6. Marie Abanga March 5, 2017 / 11:39 pm

Come to think of it Kitt; sometimes the bug will not leave me alone especially in some dark moments like when I lost my brother. The poetry inspiration, ha I conclude it has its seasons. Back then in Belgium the bug stung on the bus, in the loo on the dinner table, in class etc. Some days now, I do all I can to write some lines oh nada. Thanks for your post and glad you did write this one too. Hope you are striving.

• Kitt O'Malley March 6, 2017 / 1:05 pm

Thank you, Marie. The Muse does strike at various times. I pray that writing has helped you grieve the loss of your brother. I know that he inspired you to help others in Cameroon. Thank you for all that you do, and for your words – so many that you’ve filled and published books.

• Marie Abanga March 7, 2017 / 12:00 am

Yes Kitt, writing did help tremendously then. Wow I blogged twice a day, wrote a book on his journey in just one month, wrote articles for magazines back home, and etc etc. Now with his foundation and all the avenues lining up slowly but surely, I keep writing there and on my blog. I am at heart a mental health advocate and writing is one powerful way to get the word out right? All the best dear Kitt

7. Mark Lanesbury March 5, 2017 / 6:56 pm

A small blessing if words like these can display the heart within Kitt, and the healing that expressing them give…regardless.

8. dyane March 5, 2017 / 5:34 pm

I completely relate to everything written here.

The first stanza is particularly outstanding – the line “Turn them off with meds”- what a perfect way to express how to extinguish the onslaught of words.

Your devoted follower,
    Dy

p.s. I love your artwork!!!

p.p.s. Methinks it’s time for some more spectacular flower images on Kitt O’Malley’s Instagram

• Kitt O'Malley March 5, 2017 / 11:12 pm

Yep. Why there is a correlation between mood disorders and writing, especially of poetry.