Rejected

Just got rejected by an online psychotherapist using LiveHealthOnline. Ouch. Slap in face. No doubt because of my bipolar diagnosis. I understand that online therapy is not always appropriate. The therapist in question may not have had the proper background and training.

Still, it hurts, and I remain… I don’t know… Vulnerable… Feeling in need of support — specifically psychological support.

My psychiatrist, with whom my psychotherapist works, runs weekly group therapy, which I used to attend. But, I don’t do well in groups. My boundaries are poor. I take care of others and don’t get enough support for myself. I’m selfish right now and know that I need the undivided attention of a psychotherapist. I need some healing. Badly.

Honestly, my fantasy is to go on a therapeutic retreat. Something like a spa weekend, but including sessions with a licensed psychologist with expertise in bipolar disorder (which is a serious mental illness). Must maintain coping mechanisms. Cannot fall apart.

61 thoughts on “Rejected

1. Carlene Hill Byron May 3, 2017 / 6:04 pm

So get this! Even in the real world, there are licensed psychiatrists who won’t see us w/ BP because they think we’re “too hard.” Online services vary so dramatically. I was on one chat so formulaic I was pretty sure it was all AI — I felt like I was talking to Eliza, the original computer conversation program. Keep on using whatever works until you find the next thing that works. Hugs!

• Kitt O'Malley May 3, 2017 / 7:35 pm

Saw my psychiatrist instead. Glad he had time to see me today. NO psychiatrist should refuse treatment of seriously mentally ill patients. Ridiculous. The “worried well” can be treated by their primary doctors. Psychiatry is specialized. We need their help.

• highrisk1 May 15, 2017 / 8:54 pm

I believe there is a fine line between a professional knowing the limits of his knowledge and being rude and inconsiderate. Just remember, if they don’t want you, you definitely don’t want them anyways! Just one step closer to finding “the one.”

2. mythoughts62 May 3, 2017 / 5:07 pm

I’ve looked into online therapists myself. I couldn’t get into see my CMHC therapist more than once every 9 weeks and it just wasn’t enough. When I read the fine print on the online sites, it was quite clear that they were not interested in anyone with a serious mental illness. I was left with the feeling that it might have been a liability issue. Sucks. The good news is that they hired more people at my CMHC and I can see my new therapist twice a month. She’s a better match too.

• Kitt O'Malley May 3, 2017 / 7:33 pm

It takes training and experience to treat those of us with serious mental illnesses. In fact, I most prefer to see therapists who work in group practices with psychiatrists. Multi-disciplinary approach is best. Social workers, marriage and family therapists, psychologists, psychiatric nurses, and psychiatrists each have different perspectives and different training. Not that you must see all these professionals. Just saying each profession has its strengths and weaknesses.

3. Mariah Warren May 3, 2017 / 5:00 pm

Where can I sign up for a therapy retreat? 😉

So sorry this therapist turned you down, Kitt – I know how painful rejection feels. I believe this happened bc she wasn’t right for you – that the right therapist is still out there. Praying you find THAT therapist soon.

4. L.E. Henderson May 3, 2017 / 4:50 pm

So sorry Kitt! I have an idea how that feels. I once had a fairly new primary care doctor freak out because I told him I was having mood swings and losing sleep, and I had to explain that I was bipolar so losing sleep was a bad thing. He seemed to panic and began to lecture me about taking controlled substances that he had prescribed, apparently thinking I wanted more controlled substances to help me sleep. He interrupted me when I tried to explain and told me I needed to see a psychiatrist in a way that was not kind. I have been afraid to be completely honest with doctors about my bipolar related symptoms ever since. Hope you feel better soon!

5. L.E. Henderson May 3, 2017 / 4:48 pm

I am so sorry Kitt! I have an idea how that feels. I once had a fairly new primary care doctor freak out because I told him I was having mood swings and losing sleep, and I had to explain that I was bipolar so losing sleep was a bad thing. He seemed to panic and began to lecture me about taking controlled substances that he had prescribed, apparently thinking I wanted more controlled substances to help me sleep. He interrupted me when I tried to explain and told me I needed to see a psychiatrist in a way that was not kind. I have been afraid to be completely honest with doctors about my bipolar related symptoms ever since. Hope you feel better soon!

• Kitt O'Malley May 3, 2017 / 7:29 pm

Now that TOTALLY sucks. Better to get your sleep meds from your psychiatrist who understands the importance of sleep. At least that’s what I do…

6. dyane May 3, 2017 / 4:13 pm

I’m so sorry this happened! As you noted, the person might have no experience with bipolar disorder. You’re a GEM, and I hope that feeling of being slapped in the face (Don’t I know it well?) has melted and that it’s 100% gone ASAP.

I love you!!!!!!!
    Dy

p.s. A therapeutic retreat sounds incredible. Speaking of places that offer such things, the 1440 Multiversity Center opened here last month. It’s a beautiful campus ten minutes from my home. Check out the classes etc. when you’re up for it!

• Kitt O'Malley May 3, 2017 / 7:28 pm

Very cool. I’m doing a half-ass retreat at a local motel overlooking the toll road. (LOUD!)

Saw my psychiatrist “in real life.” He reassured me that I’m exhausted. My regular psychotherapist (who I love) had a cancellation, so I’ll see her next week.

7. afternoonofsundries May 3, 2017 / 3:49 pm

Thank you for sharing this, it’s nice to know there are more humans out there instead of perfect creatures! I am sorry that the online therapy did not get a chance to work. I can only hope there are other avenues of help online you can try? I’ve been thinking of trying this myself… We’re rooting for you! Take care of you!

8. Mark Lanesbury May 3, 2017 / 3:14 pm

They should have been able to at least recommend someone. Anyone asking for help should never be left to feel isolated or rejected when reaching out. All of us do not respond well to that at the best of times.
    At least on here you can express how you are feeling and hopefully some suggestions may arise so that you can find what you are seeking….maybe that is why it has happened, so that someone’s suggestion may lead you on a path…a lovely path of healing 😀
    Good luck…enjoy the journey, it is taking you home 😀 ❤

• Kitt O'Malley May 3, 2017 / 7:23 pm

I agree, Mark. My initial emotional response was negative, as the title and image communicate. Turns out my psychiatrist was available! So I saw him this afternoon, which helped to reassure me that I’m just exhausted for good reason.

• Mark Lanesbury May 3, 2017 / 10:17 pm

Good! About the availability…and good that you’re doing ok 😀
        Now for the sleep bit…and let your body catch back up to all that has happened 🙂

9. Rachel Ann May 3, 2017 / 3:10 pm

Firm believer that everything happens for a reason. Rejection still hurts royally. I’m surprised that you were turned down.. but I’m glad that you knew you needed some counseling and reached out! Have you tried ecounseling? Didn’t realize you are an LMFT! On I go with my seemingly tangential post 😉 love your authentic and heart-filled posts, keep looking-your best fit for a therapist is out there!

• Kitt O'Malley May 3, 2017 / 7:19 pm

Thanks. I have a great therapist, who I love. She’s just REALLY popular. My psychiatrist saw me today. When there, saw my therapist and learned she has a cancellation next week! Yay! Now resting…

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )