Silent Lately

Silence - background of clouds over Saddleback mountain range formation and trees in foreground

I haven’t written in a while, nor have I read or commented on others’ posts. I used to write brief reviews after reading a book. Recently, I’ve simply left stars on Amazon and Good Reads.

Why? Because I simply needed to recover. Recovering not from an episode of bipolar disorder – though I do live with that illness and must take care of myself – but from exhaustion, physical illness, and the demands of life.

Sometimes I need silence. Sometimes I must do less. I must NOT do.

Since my mother had her stroke November 2015, I’ve had added responsibilities overseeing my parents’ finances and care. My sister helps me make decisions and offers emotional support, but she lives in another state and has her own life to live.

I parent a high-needs adolescent who gets sick A LOT and has struggled throughout his life with migraines, ADHD, depression, and anxiety.

My husband, son, and I have all been sick.

All this weighs on me.

So, I’ve pulled back.

I’ve been silent.

I’ve binge-watched TV.

I’ve done lots of jigsaw puzzles on my iPad.

Hope - yellow hibiscus background

Starting Monday, I’m hiring my neighbor, who has been a caregiver to seniors, to help me with my chaotic physical environment. Together, we will organize and clean my house. It’s cluttered and dusty. The floors and refrigerator need cleaning. Hopefully, that will improve both our physical and emotional health.

32 thoughts on “Silent Lately

1. Bipolar1Blog June 4, 2017 / 11:39 am

Great to have you back Kitt! I haven’t been blogging much st all dunce September, because of overwhelming anxiety, so I understand exactly where you’re coming from. I’m glad you feel well enough to start blogging. Welcome back and I’m sending you all kinds of positive and well wishes.

2. Leturos June 4, 2017 / 3:20 am

It was good to read your words. I also wrote for the first time in a long time last night. I had half dismantled my social media accounts a bit over a month ago and it took a while just to get the site working OK. Be well.

3. Cassandra Stout June 3, 2017 / 9:58 pm

Good luck, Kitt! There’s nothing wrong with taking a break from blogging when the demands of life get to you. I’ll be keeping you in my prayers.

4. dyane June 3, 2017 / 9:01 pm

The flower picture with “Hope” is beautiful! I love the fact that you’re hiring your neighbor to help clean and organize the house!!!!!

I know that will make you feel SO-SO-SO good, Kitt, and I’m excited for you.It’s going to recharge your body, mind & spirit. Simply having a clean fridge will delight you, let alone everything else.

It’s great to read this update. I’m glad you’ve been taking care of yourself and that you’ve been doing less, not more. You’re a wise friend and it would do us all good to remember to dial it down when our stress levels increase.

Sending you lots of love!

XO,

Dyane “There’s Nothing Wrong With Binge-Watching Rosewood”
    Leshin-Harwood
    the 1st 😉

5. Mary McGerald Griffith June 3, 2017 / 6:56 pm

Take care of yourself. You have tons to deal with. Glad you’re getting some help. Prayers for you and your family.

6. speak766 June 3, 2017 / 6:23 pm

Glad to hear you are getting help. I definitely agree that sometimes we need to take a step back from things and put ourselves first, even if that means doing less, as you say here. Our own mental health is what matters most. Wish you the best – speak766

7. Rebecca June 3, 2017 / 5:16 pm

Kitt, Today’s post on my site. It’s right where you are at. Taking care of the caregiver. In one way or another, we all are caregivers. To give to others you have to give to yourself. Fantastic! you are able to get help you know and can depend upon. You may have been silent, but you come back with such good news! Very happy for you!

8. Mark Lanesbury June 3, 2017 / 4:04 pm

Doing you Kitt is the most loving thing that you can do. You cannot help another if your over stressed yourself. Do you, you are more worth it than you know…to you and others! ❤

9. Leslie June 3, 2017 / 2:53 pm

Thinking of you Kitt. I’m also glad that you’ll get some local help. It really will make your mind clearer. ❤

10. updownflight June 3, 2017 / 1:45 pm

That’s great that you will get some help. I have someone come a couple times per month to help me out.