I Don’t Want to Write About #Suicide for #WorldSuicidePreventionDay

Do Not Want to Write About Suicide. Background image is chainlink fence with people playing basketball behind it

I don’t want to write about suicide
I don’t want the image of her
Clinging onto a chain link fence
Chef’s knife in hand
Chef’s knife inside of her
Looking through the chain link
At kids playing in the park
She mourned the loss of her son
She could not contain her grief
She could not hold on
She had other children
They no longer had a mother
My father no longer had a cousin
I no longer had a cousin once removed

When I was 18
I, too, wanted to kill myself
I thought the world
Better off without me
My family
Better off without me
The emotional pain
Unbearable
A living hell
But I didn’t kill myself
I sought help
I got help
But I was not a mother
Grieving the loss of her son

International Association for Suicide Prevention - September 10, 2017 - World Suicide Prevention Day - Take a minute, change a life.

World Suicide Prevention Day 2017

22 thoughts on “I Don’t Want to Write About #Suicide for #WorldSuicidePreventionDay

1. InkedShrink September 17, 2017 / 8:03 pm

Thanks Kitt for following along on my blog. Great stuff you have here! Very powerful and so necessary

2. daybydaybipolar September 11, 2017 / 1:34 pm

This really hits home with me. A dear friend of mine recently lost her 15-year-old son to suicide. She discovered him. How do you ever cope with that image and it’s aftermath? As a mother of two boys, it’s something I could never image because it is my worst fear.

• Kitt O'Malley September 11, 2017 / 10:07 pm

How horrible. I send you and your friend my deepest condolences.

3. dyane September 10, 2017 / 3:43 pm

Forgive me for not being able to read it. Tough day. Too many triggers, memories. I love you.

• Kitt O'Malley September 11, 2017 / 11:07 am

She was devastated by the death of her son due to an anaphylactic reaction to a bee bite.

4. Mark Lanesbury September 10, 2017 / 2:28 pm

It can just take a smile, a reaching out of a heart…to break those fences that hold their fears ❤
    It is not a good thing to experience Kitt, such a loss is a tragedy for them and those around them. I’m sorry for you, for that loss, it leaves its mark…but maybe that is its purpose, so that all those that are left will appreciate the beauty that life does give, even among the pain they endure ❤
    Thank you for sharing that pain, a reminder to smile and hug often ❤

5. Paladin September 10, 2017 / 11:04 am

👍 You sure are an outspoken individual lately whether in the first or third person narratives, Kitt. Believe you have the potential and ability to be a top notch English Professor. Thanks. God Bless + Namaste !!!

• Kitt O'Malley September 10, 2017 / 11:17 am

Thanks! I’ve been posting old and new posts. Getting in a back to school groove.

• Paladin September 11, 2017 / 4:07 pm

Not considered a Homecoming topic but glad you are able to confront it to help others. Thanks!!!