Organizing in Scrivener #amwriting

When I first purchase Scrivener, I either copied and pasted or imported my blog posts from September 2013 to October 2014. I don't recall how I got the material into the program. Then I stopped, overwhelmed by the complexity of Scrivener. Now that I did the tutorial, I'm organizing those posts. Feels good. Really good.
Organizing old posts by month written. Painstakingly slow, but have to start somewhere.

Right now I’m writing in WordPress online. I write using whatever is handy — WordPress, Word, Google Docs, Pages on my iPad, emails to myself, even paper and journals (unfortunately, I cannot read my handwriting and I type faster).

When I first purchased Scrivener, I either copied and pasted or imported my blog posts from September 2013 to October 2014. I don’t recall how I got the material into the program. Then I stopped, overwhelmed by the complexity of Scrivener. Now that I did the tutorial, I’m organizing those posts. Feels good. Really good.

Later I will add pieces written since then. I tried to download my blog since October 2014, but the xml document is filled with HTML code which I’d have to scrub. I can use find and replace using a text editor like WordPad, but I don’t want to risk mangling or deleting my text. Probably easier to copy and paste posts into Notepad to remove code. I’m no pro at handling xml files and can find no easy answers online.

8 thoughts on “Organizing in Scrivener #amwriting

1. ridicuryder September 16, 2017 / 11:03 pm

Kitt,

I have Scrivener installed on my Mac. I’ve opened it a few times in the last year, but I’m so far along with my current book, that I never made the time to use it. I really want to incorporate it into book 2 and book 3 though…I suspect it will help me a fair bit.

RR

• Kitt O'Malley September 17, 2017 / 7:34 pm

I think the MAC version works better than the Windows version.

2. dyane September 16, 2017 / 6:05 pm

Wow! I’m impressed by your diligence and hard work!

I had heard about Scrivener, not really knowing what it was, hence I was curious about it, but I never investigated it. I used Word to write my book & after I read a positive review about ProWriting Aid by “Beyond Your Blog”Ifounder Susan Maccarelli, I bought it I think I spent $40 for a year, and despite only using a few of it many amazing features, it was incredibly helpful.

Proud of you!!!!

• Kitt O'Malley September 16, 2017 / 8:11 pm

ProWriting may be more user-friendly. Now that I’ve done the Scrivener tutorial, I understand how to use and am finding it very helpful in organizing my writing.

• dyane September 18, 2017 / 2:37 pm

That’s awesome! I need to use my ProWritingAid thesaurus for different forms of “proud” because I’m getting prouder and prouder of you! 👍 By the way, thanks to you, I used Buffer on Twitter today – I only used 2 images for the tweet (about Dr. Kaeni of “Mom & Mind” but I loved it – it was perfect. Thanks for the lead!

• Kitt O'Malley September 19, 2017 / 11:53 am

Buffer and Hootsuite are useful for scheduling social media posts. With Buffer, you can easily add images from the original post.

3. vanbytheriver September 16, 2017 / 5:01 pm

That was quite a week you had in October of 2013, Kitt. This post reminds me of using so many index cards back in the day. Perfect for notes, speeches, etc. I’d say, write on whatever is handy, as long as you keep writing.